Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The future of Chrysler

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Dave Z, Sep 13, 2017.

1. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Understood.

However, if we look at teaming with Hyundai for such Mopar vehicles, and we commit to it over a minimum of five years ( with a view toward growing that slice of the FCA business further over time by not bailing out before the agreement is fulfilled or bailing instantaneously at the slightest provocation ), customers will get a feel for the mere presence of this car - the Hyundai-based Mopar.

Likely, it won't be an instant Barn-burner sales success, but the now well-respected basis for this imaginary Mopar puts many potential customers at rest knowing industry acceptance of the source brand. Some will hesitate a bit because Chrysler group cars are dressed-up Hyundai vehicles. I'm thinking they'd wonder what's wrong with Hyundai for potentially taking a hit due to the Badged entity. ( Decades past it would be the other way round ).

But once the teething period is past, and the tie-up remains, then I think people will relax and step-by-step accept the finished product. I would also think that the Hyundai-based Mopar could be/would be Quality rated higher than other Mopar products; which would be an eye-opener .

2. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

This may seem like a simpleton reason that FCA hasn't and won't axe the Chrysler division. It is because Chrysler is the "C" in FCA, that "C" represents the American arm of FCA. Replacing Chrysler in the US with Lancia would of only have given Lancia the type of US sales that Fiat currently gets US, which is almost no sales at all.

If the Chrysler division was so damaged, and were incapable of a turnaround...300 and Pacifica sales would be non existent.

danbek and aldo90731 like this.
  3. AmbassadorSST

I have no problem with a co-developed Chrysdai or Hunsler small or mid sized car. As long as both Hyundai/Chrysler entries are not so similar, that it looks like all they did was swap the Hyundai badge for a Chrysler one.

4. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

I am sorry, but that is too simplistic.

The ease at which they changed the name of the company to FCA, threw out the Pentastar logo, threw out the Dodge logo, etc indicates that this ownership has no allegiance to anything other than themselves.

300 sales are a shadow of their former selves. Without sharing a plant with the Charger and Challenger, the 300 would not exist.

Pacifica is having its first full year and is just above 100K units. From the company that invented the minivan, we will see if that is sustainable.....especially after the Grand Caravan goes away.

I am not advocating replacing Chrysler with Lancia in the US or vice versa in the EU. Neither would work. Both are abused and neglected brands that Marchionne refers to as "stumps" of the company.

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

And the "C" in DCX didn't stop Diamler from getting rid of Chrysler.

GasAxe, JavelinAMX and Erik Latranyi like this.
  6. JavelinAMX

Forgive me for the following, but it is more representative of the current reality than not . I believe this to be an eye-opener :

FCA is more deeply involved with Fiat and Alfa Romeo than anything else - more accurately Alfa Romeo (AR) and then Fiat (F). Then, very nearly secondarily is Jeep and Ram ( body on frame vehicles ). Those two are Trucks, or are built like trucks are built - they're both a T .

So, it could easily be thought that to represent this company's real composition we should refer to it as FART. Think of it ...

Chrysler, in essence, basically doesn't show up.

7. JavelinAMX

I hear that.

It is possible to pair Hyundai and FCA engineers and stylists on a project to give the result a more individual identity. Fiat's 124 is a lightweight version of that aim. ( I happen to still prefer the Miata over the Fiata; but that's just me ). Miata sales have not been hurt in the slightest because the presence of the F 124

I don't think a mere re-badging effort would be worth the effort - I'd think a more purposeful FCA ' skin ' on it would be better; but i'm on the outside. So, let's take into consideration what insiders might contribute to the discussion.

Dragonkat likes this.
  8. AmbassadorSST

The American portion of the company that FIAT acquired was under the "Chrysler" umbrella...Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep.
    Same with Daimler-Chrysler in the 1990's.
    Chrysler as an autonomous corporate entity ceased existing almost 20 years ago

Logo wise, the Chrysler logo has been an evolution of the same "winged logo" that debuted in the late 1990's and the Dodge logo was the "ram head" from the mid 1990's until the Dodge Ram trucks were separated from the Dodge brand.

In regards to the Pentastar logo being axed in favor for the FCA "acronym" to represent the entire company...to me that makes sense. FCA is a global company with brands under that FCA umbrella.

The 300 and Pacifica sell well enough to justify that there is a place for the Chrysler brand; be that place only in the US and maybe China in the future.

danbek, AlfaCuda and aldo90731 like this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Speaking of simplistic!

Perhaps they replaced the pentastar with the FCA logo because they were trying to show people on both sides that it was one big company. Notice that unlike the DCX disaster, the Italian side also changed signs. Fiat uses Mopar and has FCA logos on the plant signs...

SRTBrandon, Bob Lincoln, tlc and 7 others like this.
  10. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Thank you for making my point........this ownership has no issues changes names, logos, etc as the wind blows.

Therefore, just because there is a 'C' in FCA does not mean it must be there tomorrow.

JavelinAMX and valiant67 like this.
  11. AmbassadorSST

I know it's just one letter, but...
    My point is why even bother calling the company FCA and changing all the corporate logos on buildings, and emblazoning the FCA acronym on everything related to company if their intentions are to get rid of the Chrysler brand at some point? They could of easily originally called the entire company Fiat Automobiles, Fiat Corporation, or just Fiat for that matter, no?

12. valiant67

Level III Supporter

Maybe back then, before Chrysler (the brand) went through brand redefinitions and a reduction in model count, things looked different for Chrysler (the brand).

JavelinAMX likes this.
  13. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Nobody claimed that Fiat's intention was to get rid of the Chrysler brand at any point. Just that having the C in their logo is not an obstacle if they wanted to get rid of it.

For a reality check, unless FCA could make good money selling Chrysler, they would rather keep it as a 1 or 2 vehicle brand, much like Lancia.

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I agree that the C being in the name means nothing with regard to sale and such... but really, if they wanted to dump Chrysler (as a brand), they could have done so by now.

15. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

I think not much is sacred to current ownership.

But, again, unless there is money to be made, they do not dump brands. For example, Lancia.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  16. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Chrysler is like the old stained couch that got moved from the living room to the storage: it hasn’t been dumped yet for sentimental reasons, but it doesn’t really serve much of a purpose, either.

The fact is Chrysler, Lancia and Fiat USA are all on the same boat to nowhere.

Maybe FCA is aware that if it were to dump Chrysler, Fiat and Alfa Romeo will have one hell to pay in N.A.

#956 aldo90731, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Ernesto likes this.
  17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Damn. The air is foggy with anger and depression around here.

How many years did Fiat keep Alfa Romeo around before rejuvenating it, big time?
    How many years was Maserati lingering on, practically irrelevant?
    How many years was Fiat gone from the US before its return?

I think the Agnellis, if nothing else, bide their time and wait for a chance to bring things back — including Lancia.

Chrysler itself dumped DeSoto, Fargo, Imperial, and Plymouth without a second thought, and without much warning. Imperial and Plymouth, at least, still had plenty of life in them. Heck, in Europe, they dumped all sorts of valued brands — Humber, Hillman, Sunbeam, and Singer, for example — without much warning or, I suspect, much thought. (Maybe I should ask about that.)

Fiat, on the other hand, ... have they ever permanently shut down a brand, theirs or someone else’s?

GasAxe, Zachary, Bob Lincoln and 6 others like this.
  18. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

For the record: there’s no anger involved. So please don’t add emotions that aren’t there.

Per your question: I don’t know. I grew up a Mopar fan, not a Fiat fan. At the very least we can agree that Fiat doesn’t seem to mind leaving brands on life support...indefinitely.

All I know is this, I started wanting to embrace Fiat, but seven years of crummy quality rankings, deteriorating customer treatment, and a short-term behavior have turned me off.

Plus whenever I have done an objective, professional assessment, I have come out horrified to find out that much of what we see in N.A. fits a pattern Fiat has left over time in other markets.

#958 aldo90731, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    GasAxe, Lee N. Burns and Ernesto like this.
  19. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Jeep is not Mopar. You can't group brands by your own standards.

ScramFan likes this.
  20. valiant67

Level III Supporter

Perhaps someone needs to inform the web team of that fact.
    Mopar.png

DarkSky, Zachary, tlc and 2 others like this.