Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

The future of Chrysler

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Dave Z, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Judas Shuttlesworth

Judas Shuttlesworth Active Member

Fiat is the modern day Plymouth...without the sales.

geraldg likes this.
  2. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Renault, in Europe, shifted many of its model to crossover style.

Espace
    [​IMG]

Grand Scenic
    [​IMG]

Scenic
    [​IMG]

Medicin-Man likes this.
  3. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Add two inches of height with an AWD system and you got yourself a fine crossover there. Just need to square off that boat tail. Never been a fan of those.

jimboy likes this.
  4. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Interesting. I didn't know that.

Although, I have worked with Renault: they are hardly an act worth following.

Mike V. likes this.
  5. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

No, I'd absolutely debate that point. Like others have said, opportunities were missed but Tim has made the best out of what he has been handed. I wouldn't hang Sergio's boondoggles on Tim.

aldo90731 and Zagnut27 like this.
  6. Judas Shuttlesworth

Judas Shuttlesworth Active Member

"Since Chrysler shares showroom space with three other brands, no brand has to have a full lineup; but someone has to fill the gap when Dodge focuses on muscle and Jeep keeps all its SUVs and CUVs off-road-ready (at least in Trailhawk trim). Chrysler has to fill the gap that remains."

Since Jeep has THREE vehicles with front wheel drive trim levels that aren't "trail ready", the only remaining gap across the board for Chrysler to fill with is the minivan.

Why waste money on a badge engineered front wheel drive "Chryslerokee"? Factor in the decade long gutting of the Chrysler brand and who would even care about it outside those of us who post here?

"A three row version of the Cherokee, modified to fit the Chrysler brand (and to take the place of the current Dodge Journey) may come within the next year to two."

Whoa....what happened to that nearly endlessly delayed Stelvio-based Journey? It's gone? Imagine that...

"The large crossover based on the Pacifica probably will not begin production until after the Grand Caravan stops, but that timeline lines up well if the 300 ends production ends a year or two later, say, in calendar-year 2020."

Ahhh, yes. "Chrysler...America's Minivan Headquarters!" YAYYYYYY!

Only thing left to do at that point is to dig up Doug Henning to tell us how Sergio made Chrysler disappear...

Lee N. Burns likes this.
  7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes, it's hard to really gauge the performance of people down the hierarchy ladder. They're often constrained by the demands of the folks above. Remember, excrement has a tendency to flow downhill.

jimboy and aldo90731 like this.
  8. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I disagree. You don't want to abandon the gas only model. Electric doesn't have enough of a foothold to go that route. And there are plenty of people who don't want to pay the premium for a hybrid model. I think it would be smarter if Chrysler offered hybrid, and maybe electric alternatives, to a traditionally powered lineup.

aldo90731, nastijeep and valiant67 like this.
  9. serpens

serpens Active Member

No, you're just misunderstanding. The Chrysler CUSW-based crossover was always supposed to replace the Journey. The Dodge crossover on the Giorgio-US isn't a 1:1 replacement for the Journey, hence the wording.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  10. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

It sounds like I am more willing to give this entire Chrysler "vision" a chance, but you touch on some key points:
    • Comparing this to Nissan really nails it. Nissan's culture suffers from this pervasive squizophrenia by which they feel the need to toss out everything the brand is known for on a regular basis, constantly undermining their own efforts to move forward. Sounds familiar, doesn't it.
    • And I was trying to remember what that photo of the Chrysler concept looked like. Turns out, it looks like a bloated Nissan Murano from behind!
    Exactly!

I had the opportunity to work with our innovation team, which specializes in helping organizations identify white spaces, and develop strategic innovations that result in commercial successes. I remember the head of the team telling me "innovation needs to be half familiar, half innovation." It wasn't until he said this that I realized our consumer data backs him up.

Market familiarity is the conduit by which everything else good happens. Without sufficient levels of familiarity, innovations are not allowed to take hold in the market. This was a key issue with Chrysler Airflow as much as it was with Nissan LEAF and now Toyota Mirai: when something just looks too foreign, it finds few buyers. On the other hand, a key to the success of Tesla has been to wrap all of that cutting-edge innovation into what otherwise looks like a relatively traditional luxury sedan --down to an unnecessary grille.

I am afraid, in its rush to break away from its past, this Chrysler "vision" is willing to toss out too much all at once, the good and the bad, leaving too little that is familiar with consumers to give itself a chance to take a hold in the market.

#90 aldo90731, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  11. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

@Christopher I wouldn't worry, electric motors will be a phase in. ICE drivetrains will still be available. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a model without an optional engine or variant. Even the non-FCA brands who have announced they will be going full electric are actually just saying they will have full electric motors available for every model. Gas/Diesel isn't dead yet, just slowly winding down in certain areas.

aldo90731 likes this.
  12. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Hybrid sales have fallen off, as a percentage of total. Electric car sales depend greatly on subsidies. I agree that gas needs to remain an option.

JavelinAMX, danbek, UN4GTBL and 4 others like this.
  13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

California Air Resources Board - "California’s ZEV Regulation for 2018 and Subsequent Model Year Vehicles"
    https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/zevtutorial/zev_tutorial_webcast.pdf

Total ZEV credit percentage: 2018 4.5%, 2019 7%, 2020 9.5%, 2021 12%, 2022 14.5%, ...

That is why there will more electric and hybrid vehicles sold by FCA in U.S.A., or some states, soon.

GasAxe likes this.
  14. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Oops, let me rephrase my answer from above:
    Hybrid sales have fallen off, as a percentage of total. Electric car sales depend greatly on subsidies or government requirements. I agree that gas needs to remain an option.

Let's keep in mind what happened to Nissan Leaf when just one state (Georgia) dropped the subsidy for electronic cars.

JavelinAMX, UN4GTBL, jimboy and 2 others like this.
  15. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

And tying EVs and Hybrids to my points above:

A key success of hybrids that continues to elude EVs, is that hybrid technology marries the widely familiar ICE powertrain with the unfamiliar EV technology, giving consumers a half-step to ease into green powertrains.

If this Chrysler "vision" has any chance of success, it better start including hybrids and some traditional sedans in the equation. Breaking with the past too much, too fast, will lead nowhere.

JavelinAMX and jimboy like this.
  16. nastijeep

nastijeep Active Member

I am old timer, not looking forward to EV; not liking mandatory rearview cameras.
    On the future of Chrysler, if WCM continues to be the farce it is, the company will soon be by the wayside. I am in plant & see the efforts made to "game the system" for quality efforts. Basic condition? Only implemented if basic condition returns us to the '80s. In reality, little or no effort by plant management is made to attain this condition, then build from there.
    WCM audits are a joke; blaring problems are ignored as long as the audit path has fresh paint & new floors. Let's shut down production in an area that the audit tour may be passing through.
    In other areas, traversing might require walking through the oil puddle that is a near permanent presence. "Reporting Unsafe Conditions" doesn't yield any sustainable results if any results at all. So, why bother? Don't report an injury as you might face discipline.
    I've long held that the auditors must be either blind, not cognizant of the true processes or_____ ___ (you can fill in).
    Internal auditors at one time were prohibited from covering an area where they had familiarity; IMO this was so the true discrepancies were easier to overlook. (Plausible deniability). Not sure if this prohibition is still in effect.
    If FCA was interested in making fine vehicles, the quality efforts would be sustainable and substantial. I don't need another hollow alphabet program rolled out that is BS. I won't take that bait. I don't participate and make my position known.

JavelinAMX, Erik Latranyi and tomit like this.
  17. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

I am impressed that the production Pacifica dash actually ended up being nicer overall than the 700 concept. Usually it's the other way around. Well done FCA!

Ian likes this.
  18. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Really? There are plenty who post in this forum with all of the answers to Chrysler's woes after only minutes of thought. Surely Tim can spare a few minutes and that will be plenty! :p;)

jimboy likes this.
  19. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I am sure the number of suggestions at Allpar is inversely proportional to the number of FCA successes :p

20. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Chrysler's original plan for the crossover has been in place since 2013. It usually takes 3 years (in the fastest situations) from drawing board to launch. Chrysler is right on schedule. Besides shifting from sedan sales to CUVs, the brand has had the foot work in place since they decided to go mainstream and the CUV minus the Portal has been written in stone. Now, with the shifting of plants, production will be able to start within the next two model years on the much needed vehicles.

[​IMG]
    2014 5 year plan released to investors

TripleT likes this.