Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The future of Wrangler

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by CherokeeVision, Sep 21, 2017.

1. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Grand Cherokee shopper that wants more room...
    "Here we have the Durango, which has more room."
    "Great. Does it have the same 4x4 systems as the Grand Cherokee?"
    "Well, no."
    "I'll live with less space then."

Erik Latranyi and Zagnut27 like this.
  2. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

How many customers actually care about the 4x4 systems in their SUVs? Most of the Cherokees/Compasses/Renegades we sell are actually FWD, which could mean that people are either only buying them because they're a Jeep or because they're currently the only option from FCA in those segments.

3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Someday they'll have a fancy new Wagoneer/Grand W to show them. Someday. Some sunny day. :p

CherokeeVision and GasAxe like this.
  4. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Actually about a year you will start seeing mules for a 2019 launch for the 2020 model year... its getting here quickly!

wtxiceman and Zagnut27 like this.
  5. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

None of those vehicles are true 4X4s, they are AWD systems. I still love my first generation Durango with the floor mounted part-time 4X4 shifter. Nothing like knowing there is nothing electronic standing in my way of my mechanical 4X4 system.

Luckily the 2018 Power Wagon still comes that way... even has the same shifter knob my 2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4X4 had.

[​IMG]

6. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Jeep is selling because of the name, people think Jeep think ruggedness whether they use it or not.

7. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

That's because FCA made the decision to offer FWD versions to get the volume, thus attracting many non-4x4 shoppers.

If FCA had decided that Jeep would only offer 4x4 versions because "that's who Jeep is", the volume of shoppers wouldn't be as great, but those coming in would likely be more discerning of 4WD systems.

PS: I find it ironic how Dodge and Chrysler are held to narrow brand interpretations, but Jeep isn't.

wvutuba, hotmach, GasAxe and 4 others like this.
  8. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

You left out that while they are posting about videogames on Facebook.....they are also listening to the local sports-radio station.:D

9. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Yup. This is something Wrangler owners refuse to give up. Even if you need to lift weights to engage Rubicon's Rock-Trac lever.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  10. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Full time 4WD Wrangler buyers will be giving it up. I have a feeling this option will be incredibly popular on Sahara models.

Mike

11. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Back in the DOJ thread, one of the few things everyone (even Norm RIP) seemed to agree upon was to add a "Selec-Trac" type tranfer case to the Wrangler so you can use the 4wd on dry pavement.

GasAxe, ScramFan, Zagnut27 and 2 others like this.
  12. hotmach

Level 2 Supporter

The latter. Jeep is FCA's current mainstream brand. Oh, and it has Wrangler as well.

Zagnut27, geraldg and aldo90731 like this.
  13. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Indeed. Selec-Trac was an amazing 4WD system with the capability to be used full-time on and off-road, with real LOW gearing.

There's talk that Selec-Trac will reappear in JL. However, depending who you ask, Select-Trac may be little more than a glorified AWD system that uses a rotary dial --hence the name.

#13 aldo90731, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  14. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

For urban Wranglers yes.

15. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

It will be interesting to see how the use of an AWD system on the Wrangler will affect used prices down the road. It is not of interest to FCA, but, there will be challenge for those that want to modify and use Jeeps off-road to find those with the traditional, mechanical 4-wheel drive system rather than, what I believe will be very popular, AWD system.

aldo90731 and Zagnut27 like this.
  16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I'm excited to see them, but for me it'll be a little bittersweet. I was always planning on getting one, but I can't wait that long. Most likely will be getting a Durango next year...won't be disappointed at all by that...but I always had my heart set on Wagoneer. There's just something about a Jeep, at least for me.

17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

The slot-machine lever in my Liberty gets ever more ornery as the vehicle gets older...just like me. That being said, I think I'd prefer it over a dial (though I haven't experienced one yet).

aldo90731 likes this.
  18. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I guess it depends on what type of AWD system it is... a different transfer case like the 242 vs an AWD system similar to what's available in the other Jeeps. Changing out a transfer case isn't a big deal, I actually considered it for my Liberty on the advice of Norm and Bob S. But if it's an AWD system, then much more difficult I would imagine and maybe not worth the effort. Has this officially been determined which type of system it will be?

19. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

AWD systems can be VERY capable and have true low gearing.

Also, an AWD Wrangler will appeal to more than just urban owners. People who live in cold wet climates may welcome the advantages of an AWD system. Wranglers are used in many off road situations that are not rock crawling.

20. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Right...

If you "need" AWD there's Grand Cherokee, and Hondas.

Judas Shuttlesworth likes this.