Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The future of Wrangler

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by CherokeeVision, Sep 21, 2017.

1. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

I have owned a wide variety CJs, YJs, TJs, XJs and JKs. In fact, I have over 30 straight years where I have at least one Jeep in my possession. I have used each and every one of them in a wide range of conditions, on and off road. Unfortunately, your comments will only perpetuate a myth that AWD systems can't be as capable or even more capable depending on the situation (only time will tell in the JL). Off road is not a narrow set of criteria or conditions that any one person here gets to define. Your comments also completely ignore the fact that the Wrangler offers suspension, lifestyle, and too many other advantages that the GC or and Honda do not regardless of part time or full time systems. While I personally may not feel inclined to buy an AWD version, we don't get to decide what someone else needs or wants to best suit their application and situation! The Wrangler is a true all purpose vehicle, especially since the demise of the XJ.

MJAB, ScramFan, DarkSky and 2 others like this.
  2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Agreed it will be interesting, although the system that will be used is a very capable system.

One thing to note, the full time 4 wheel drive system for the JL Wrangler will is not “all wheel drive”. It utilizes an electronically controlled, two speed transfer case with 50/50 or 40/60 split and unlike AWD, 100% of the power is not sent to a single axle or wheel.

Calling the system “all wheel drive” is not accurate.

Mike

#22 Mike V., Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    DarkSky and link3721 like this.
  3. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Well people here are channelling Mopar Norm! This thread has devolved into a Jeep discussion, like the ones he was involved with always did! I miss that man.

4. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

See comment above, JL will not have an “all wheel drive” system.

Mike

5. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

I had to say something... it’s not right to call it all wheel drive.

Mike

jimboy and BASONE88 like this.
  6. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

The meaning of a word depends on if you are talking to an engineer or a marketing person.

7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I think AWD and 4WD tend to get used interchangeably for right or wrong. But I think in this case, at least from my own usage, it was because I wasn't sure what type of system to actually refer to it as. But whatever its called, I'm interested to find out more when its finally officially revealed.

aldo90731 likes this.
  8. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Very true. One key thing you will need to be watchful for when shopping for a used JL.

Judas Shuttlesworth and danbek like this.
  9. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

But seriously...I think we've taken a major wrong turn somewhere and are trudging through the weeds. How about those new CUV's coming from Chrysler! I'm eager to see what they will actually look like and not like a camo-mule-refugee from the Beverly Hillbillies. :)

BASONE88 and DarkSky like this.
  10. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Erik, that’s not true. Full time 4 wheel drive and all wheel drive are two completely different systems. Jeep is marketing the system as full time 4 wheel drive on the JL because that is what it is, not all wheel drive.

I’m sorry, but calling it “all wheel drive”, like you and @aldo90731 did, is not correct. Doing so only perpetuates confusion and misunderstanding of how the system works.

Sorry for going off topic everyone, but this is Allpar and we should hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Mike

#30 Mike V., Sep 22, 2017
    danbek, dmcdonald and DarkSky like this.
  11. nastijeep

nastijeep Active Member

I have a compass sold as a 4x4. it is listed as AWD unless I select 4x4. 4x4 is quite capable in snowy conditions. what am I missing in my understanding of the drive capabilities? how is the compass 4x4 so different than my 2nd gen Dakota 4x4?

12. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Assuming your Compass is 2007-2017, it is AWD but uses a lower axle gear ratio in conjunction with an alternate program for the CVT to simulate the benefits of a 19:1 low-range transfer case for off-road use. There is no transfer case in the system, like your Dakota 4x4 has.

If you want to discuss it further, it is probably best to start a thread in the Jeep Compass section rather than continue the discussion here where it is off topic. Future Chrysler’s will have AWD available including the use of seperate electric propulsion’s systems for the rear axle.

Hope that helps. :)

Mike

#32 Mike V., Sep 22, 2017
    nastijeep likes this.
  13. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

Cool, I think this is the first time the new JL system has been explained. Sounds like a good setup.

14. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Welcome. :)

Mike

15. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

See, but you are assuming we will be getting a "legendary" SUV with a "legendary" 4WD system with "legendary" off-road capabilities.

Excuse my skepticism, but I still have to see Jeep, under FCA, develop something NEW that truly expands off-road capability. The truly offroad-worthy vehicles now in FCA's lineup, like Wrangler and Power Wagon, repackage "legendary" parts, like lockers and disconnects, already in existence. The only "legendary" new offroad thing I am seeing is FCA push AWD to "legendary" limits.

Most likely, we will end up getting another "legendary" ABS-based AWD system with a "legendary" rotary dial and some "legendary" name like "Insta-Trac". And we will have "legendary" debates about how this latest AWD really is as good as a true legendary 4WD system.

Then Chrysler will get the exact "legendary" AWD but more appropriately named "Safety-Trac", with a rotary dial and a "Mall" setting no less, so we can debate forever how truly convenient it is.

#35 aldo90731, Sep 22, 2017
  16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

While I understand the sentiment...I'm extremely skeptical with regards to anything that FCA attempts with Jeep...and I say a prayer daily to the Jeep Gods above that they won't screw it up...at least not Wrangler anyways...I'm willing to withhold judgement until we actually see how it performs. If it's what you think or worse, then I'll have my pitchfork sharpened and my torches appropriately lit. Until then, I've got two energetic toddlers who will ABSOLUTELY use a pitchfork and torch against me. :)

Doug D and aldo90731 like this.
  17. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Make that a future Chrysler pitchfork, to bring it back onto topic. :D

Zagnut27 likes this.
  18. nastijeep

nastijeep Active Member

would the pentastar emblem be replaced with a pentafork?

BASONE88, Zagnut27 and aldo90731 like this.
  19. Judas Shuttlesworth

Judas Shuttlesworth Active Member

It will probably affect resale by putting a premium on those Wranglers with a mechanical 4wd system.

20. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

That might go well with a Hellcat or Demon...but those are Dodges. It might go well on a Chrysler...um...well...maybe...a Pacifica??...maybe as a Trident instead?? Oh never mind. :D