Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The future of Wrangler

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by CherokeeVision, Sep 21, 2017.

1. nastijeep

nastijeep Active Member

odd, both my 2nd gen compasses are "AWD/4x4"

2. nastijeep

nastijeep Active Member

hey, wait a minit: I don't do facebook or video games, but do listen 2 sports talk radio

3. nastijeep

nastijeep Active Member

tnx for info, but fyi, my other, newer compass 4x4 uses a 6 speed tranny, auto

4. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

77 Monaco Brougham said:
    You left out that while they are posting about videogames on Facebook.....they are also listening to the local sports-radio station.:D

OK!....I'll come clean, and admit it.....sports-talk radio is my guilty pleasure too!
    Shhhhhh!......Don't tell anyone!:D

98.5 The Sports Hub « CBS Boston

5. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

You guys are dating yourselves...

;)

superduckie5000 and wtxiceman like this.
  6. nastijeep

nastijeep Active Member

whether it is Chrysler's #1 thing to fix or the 2nd main problem, WCM quality efforts are sorry. management at my plant is still trying to "take the easy way out"; they still don't realize it is actually the hard road. when one manager blatantly lies about environmental issues in a meeting with corporate interests & is called out, can there be any justification for him retaining his job? that is an environmental issue, granted, but his impacts are more than just on the environmental side. this is typical of most management here & I suspect elsewhere.

7. nastijeep

nastijeep Active Member

unh unh.... I ain't dating myself. am 2 much like me to wanna have a date nite!

aldo90731 likes this.
  8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Kind of a separate issue, but yes, that guy should be out looking for a job. If he'll lie to their faces about one thing, he'll lie about another.

Plant management's been criticized many times by insiders for not caring about quality. Saving money now, paying triple later.

nastijeep, somber and aldo90731 like this.
  9. 72Rdrnnr

72Rdrnnr Member

I've got the "old school" Jeep 4WD, 2001 Cherokee. I will keep this car simply because it is used a LOT as a "tow vehicle" behind my motor home. Probably has 75,000 miles as a "TOAD". Next best thing to a standard shift vehicle. Put the transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, unlock steering wheel (turn key to first position) and "presto", you now have a wagon. Even better than my '87 Mazda B2000 pickemup (standard shift) because unlike the Mazda, the speedometer isn't "speedometering" when being towed!

10. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Thank you for sharing this.

I agree, most quality issues stem from a permissive culture. Sometimes it can be further reinforced from the top by executives who talk quality but don't demonstrate what they preach with their own actions.

To change this you need to change the behaviors, the attitudes and, eventually, the values, to try to impact the culture, which is a long and difficult thing to do --but not impossible. Just setting up a bunch of processes, giving it a 3-letter acronym, and expecting it to take care of itself is not going to improve quality.

Granted, Chrysler was never at the top of the quality charts. But it pains me greatly to now see FCA brands clustered together at the very bottom, year after year. And Fiat quality has a special place reserved as the very last, with numbers that require their own scale.

I think if I worked at a FCA plant, saw this wonderful Fiat WCM system be implemented, and then saw Fiat rank horribly in measurable quality, year in and year out, I'd probably have little faith that these Fiat processes were going to fix anything.

#110 aldo90731, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  11. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

In other FCA plants worldwide doing things that have not/cannot be done than You risk to be receive a letter of reprimand, a suspension from work or immediate dismisal.

Just a recent example.
    Alfa Romeo Stelvio: dipendente di Magneti Marelli licenziato per non aver scartato pezzi difettosi - Motori e Auto (at https://www.investireoggi.it/motori/alfa-romeo-stelvio-dipendente-magneti-marelli-licenziato/?refresh_ce )

A temporary worker and supervisor (30 years career at the plant) fired because sending two defective parts for Alfa Romeo Stelvio from Sulmona Magneti Marelli plant to Cassino (Italy) plant.

jorisr likes this.
  12. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

I find that if my FWD could not handel weather conditions I would stay home (retired now).

13. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

Solution - data supported inspection upon final assembly, random spot checks per quarter to see if data being collected matches what's being measured. Set up a strike rule internally just like they do with their suppliers. Everyone plays by the same rules.

I'm a software engineer not an industrial engineer - they have to be doing stuff like this already, right?

14. nastijeep

nastijeep Active Member

it would be nice if some of these principals were followed; however, when issues pertaining to process instruments were brought up, suspect products usually were NOT quarantined, instead the person reacting to a process instrument non-conformance issue would just indicate that products were not failing inspection. NO evidence of in-depth checking of product. many years of internal & external audits have not caught this; my concerns raised were enuff to get me relieved of my duties; management didn't want to hear or let be known of problems.
    management makes rules to benefit themselves. why comprehensively address problems when it is too much trouble? one has to understand the issue before taking positive action & if they don't then they don't & won't try to understand.

15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I came across this while at work. Looks like Toyota has a concept that appears to be similar to the Delica...they're calling it the TJ Cruiser (not very original!). Its just a concept after all, but shows that someone else thought it was a cool idea too! It's from Motor Trend's website:

Toyota Tj Cruiser Reinvents the Van - Motor Trend (at http://www.motortrend.com/news/toyota-tj-cruiser-reinvents-the-van/ )

aldo90731 likes this.
  16. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

There's a growing segment of adventure seekers who want a sturdy 4WD vehicle that allows them to venture offroad and camp inside because of extreme weather and wild animals. Wrangler doesn't suit their needs because of its cramped interior. So they are buying old 4x4 Delicas, Westphalias, Sprinters and Econolines. You see lots of them up here in the Pacific Northwest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Toyota may be aiming at this group with this TJ Cruiser. It would be a shame if FCA missed this trend, given Jeep's offroad reputation and Chrysler's focus on people movers.

Could the lengthened Wrangler Africa concept be an option? Can you say Wrangler JV?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#116 aldo90731, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    UN4GTBL and Zagnut27 like this.
  17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I can certainly see a market niche that Jeep could exploit. The question is, would the folks at FCA feel as strongly about exploiting that niche as me? Who knows...but if any of them are reading this, then I want them to know I'm interested! Surely they can build a business case for such a vehicle based on my interest alone! :D:p

But if they're building crossovers based on the Pacifica platform, then why not a Jeep van based on Pacifica? Did that really just come out of my mouth?? :D

aldo90731 likes this.
  18. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

That sounds like an invitation for one of our friendly Photoshop experienced Allpar members. :D

Zagnut27 likes this.
  19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

If they have the time...and the desire...and pretty please and thank you with a Rubicon on top! :)

page2171 likes this.
  20. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

Some of the thoughts that came up when the JT was confirmed, was overlanding setups.

I've been casually looking at all the of the cool cargo vans that people are outfitting for their overlanding needs.

aldo90731 and Zagnut27 like this.