Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The future of Wrangler

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by CherokeeVision, Sep 21, 2017.

1. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Re: TJ Cruiser

I've been saying for several years now that jeep needs to have a SUV with a sliding rear door. Perhaps it's time to give Ram a shot. Ram PowerWagon Plus anyone?

link3721 and Zagnut27 like this.
  2. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Yesterday I joined a trail cleanup organized by a local 4x4 Club. Over two dozen rigs showed up and we filled a giant dumpster to the brim.

After a free-hotdog lunch, myself and three other Wranglers took off wheeling and got into a trail that turned out to be for motorcycles: too narrow to backup, too narrow to go forward. We got to use every piece of equipment and all the knowledge we collectively had at our disposal: good spotting, lockers, limited slips, winches, recovery ropes, snatch blocks, tree savers, axes and machetes. It took us four hours to extricate ourselves from a 1/2 mile jam. By the time we got through the worse, we were only 100 yards from the main logging road and we didn't even know it. The sun was going down, so the club had to come up to find us.

All in all it was an epic day. If I had to find mysel in a jam like this, I sure was glad I was in a Jeep Wrangler.

Here's some evidence:

Some beauties showed up, like this LJ, CJ and a couple mint XJs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lining up to go up to pick up trash. The red YJ was our small team's lead.
    [​IMG]

Picking up trash along the forest trails. That's the Nooksack river valley below.
    [​IMG]

These kids found matching recliners dumped in the forest
    [​IMG]

Found: leaky propane tank
    [​IMG]

Within three hours we had filled up the giant dumpster
    [​IMG]

My reward were free hotdogs and the chance to meet local offroaders
    [​IMG]

#122 aldo90731, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    UN4GTBL, GasAxe, cygnus and 3 others like this.
  3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

After lunch adventure: the red YJ in the lead couldn't go any further. The trail had narrowed down too much. We later found out we had gotten into a motorcycle trail. We couldn't back up and couldn't go forward. We had to drop into a big hole, circumvent the trees, and come up the other end where I was standing with the camera. At this point my Jeep had already gone though. I had needed spotting, all the traction I could get, good aim to avoid sliding into the trees, or worse; and still needed to winch myself up for the last section. This blue Sahara is the 2nd JKU going into the hole. It took about 45 minutes to clear each of the four Jeeps.
    [​IMG]

Second Jeep's first attempt to come out of the hole
    [​IMG]

The Rubicon was 3rd, here in its nth attempt to come out of the hole
    [​IMG]

Jeeps gathering at the other end. That's my Wrangler in front. At this point we still had to get the red YJ through the hole and find our way out. My front driver tire is already up against a large fallen tree. We had to axe down the trunk sticking on the passenger side to get through.
    [​IMG]

By 5:00pm the club search and rescue came up to find us. We had lost our way 100 yards from this main logging road. You can see the red YJ coming out of the narrow trail.
    [​IMG]

We went in at 1pm and got out at 5pm. Nothing major broke. My JKU --fourth in line above-- got some scratches on the plastic fenders. The YJ ripped its soft top, the Rubicon broke a fog ligh housing, and the blue Sahara damaged the front plastic bumper. Overall, nothing serious.

Next time I may not be so lucky. I am going to buy a snatch block and a tree saver, and possibly add a TrueTrac LSD or a locker to the front.

#123 aldo90731, Oct 8, 2017
    wtxiceman, UN4GTBL, GasAxe and 5 others like this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

@aldo90731 you certainly bring the heat with the Jeep off-road pics much like Norm used to. Between you and redriderbob with the videos and pics of EVERYTHING it's kind of like seeing this as a kid in school :) :

IMG_0414.JPG

5. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Norm had been wheeling long before I was even born; I'd have loved to have the chance to go wheeling with him.

I have learned valuable tricks wheeling with off-roaders more experienced than I. Yesterday for instance, we used the winch in ways I had never seen before. At one point, our Jeeps kept sliding downhill towards the passenger side. Using the winch as a pulley, we pulled the rear driver-side of our Jeeps uphill, to allow us to move forward without sliding downhill. I also discoverd that if I were to get stuck in the forest by myself, I could winch myself from the rear by leveraging a tree on a 90 to a 45-degree angle. Simply amazing stuff.

It is impossible to get into a jam like this, come out unscathed and not develop a deep awe and appreciation for Wrangler's capability. This is the kind of stuff the Jeep legend is made out of.

#125 aldo90731, Oct 8, 2017
    Stomper, UN4GTBL, somber and 2 others like this.
  6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I have to ask...where did the pink chairs tied to the vehicle roofs come from? :D

7. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Someone had left them in the forest. Those kids found them and brought them to be placed in the dumpster. It was a riot when they showed up with those things.

Ironically, those recliners looked in much better shape than the vehicles they tied them onto. :cool:

[​IMG]

#127 aldo90731, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Zagnut27 likes this.
  8. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

So have I. I'd love to have something like that.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

If there was a Jeep with sliding rear doors, I'd trade my minivan for it immediately.

Zagnut27 and freshforged like this.
  10. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Here you go, the Jeep DJ!:D
    upload_2017-10-9_8-57-19.png

11. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

If only we had a mini wrangler bout that size and capability

aldo90731 and Zagnut27 like this.
  12. link3721

Level 2 Supporter

Those are sliding front doors, not rear doors ;)

Zagnut27 and GasAxe like this.
  13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Geez...tough customer! :p:D (But I thought the same thing :))

14. link3721

Level 2 Supporter

The wife keeps talking about getting a Grand Cherokee, but with 3 young kids that's a ways off. However if there was a modern Jeep "van" of sorts, we'd be an all Jeep household a lot quicker.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  15. Stomper

Stomper Well-Known Member

There are some good videos on Youtube that demonstrate using snatch blocks and tree savers.