AF: The Grand Caravan returns... in spirit | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Grand Caravan returns... in spirit

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by purplepassengerpete, Jul 17, 2020.

1. purplepassengerpete

purplepassengerpete Active Member

2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Big mistake for the Dodge brand here.

3. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

They could have easily added the new tail lights from the 2021 Pacifica, which are similar to the Dodge "racetrack" lights, then slapped a Dodge badge on the front.

This is better than Voyager though, I guess.

4. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Rebadging is back!

purplepassengerpete likes this.
  5. flffddy

flffddy Well-Known Member

This is really sad, and it says a lot about what FCA thinks of their Canadian buyers. How hard would it have been to do at least a LITTLE work to make this a Dodge? It's not like they didn't know this would be an issue.

UN4GTBL and purplepassengerpete like this.
  6. Suhail

Suhail Member

FCA is PLAYING with Chrysler and Dodge, literally.

7. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

Here we go... the typical complaining. *rolls eyes*

Are we forgetting that Chrysler in North America is the people mover brand?. This would not fit dodge at all.
    Since the Pacifica came out, there haven’t been a lower spec version sold in Canada. This is their version. The same version the US gets minus the name.. it’s Less expensive than the Dodge yet has more standard features.

Thom Paré, Tony K and ScramFan like this.
  8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

No one is forgetting that. But what people have never been told is exactly what a "people mover" brand means or what products are coming to support that brand definition.
    This shows how the "people mover" brand image has failed in Canada (and everywhere else, just no other place has such a clear example). This shows the model name (Grand Caravan) has more equity than Chrysler's "People Mover" image.

9. flffddy

flffddy Well-Known Member

Exactly. There's equity in Grand Caravan, and I'm sorry but there's equity in the DODGE Grand Caravan. Yes, Dodge is the muscle brand, but they've always positioned themselves that way, and they managed just fine selling Vipers and Neons and Grand Caravans under the same umbrella. NOBODY is going to not buy a Charger because it's made by the same brand that makes the Grand Caravan. Nobody. But there are people who aren't going to buy a Grand Caravan that is literally a Voyager nee Pacifica from a year ago. What would have it cost FCA to at least slap a crosshair on? Otherwise what they're really saying is "we know you didn't like the Voyager, but we've changed the name hoping you're too stupid to realize it's still the same car."

10. purplepassengerpete

"This would not fit the Dodge brand at all". The Grand Caravan has been around longer than SRT as a whole. I don't get why people keep getting stuck on the narrative that Dodge has to be the performance brand and anything less than a vehicle with a Hemi won't fit Dodge at all. Seems like over night we just conveniently decided to forget about cars like the Stratus, Dakota, K cars, etc. None of which were anything special in terms of performance. The fact that there is now a Chrysler with a SXT trim level is just crazy to me.

UN4GTBL, somber, willy4110 and 3 others like this.
  11. purplepassengerpete

I don't really think there is "typical complaining about the Chrysler/Dodge Brand". I believe the majority are critical of the brands they love and rightfully so. Just look at what FCA did to the Lancia brand. Lancia currently consists of one vehicle: the Ypsilon. Dodge is claiming to be a performance brand. They are currently going about this by cutting models and turning out buzz trim levels left and right. Chrysler is claiming to be the people mover brand, but how? Chrysler currently consists of Pacifica variations and the 300. It is hard to be a people mover brand with essentially two models. We have been waiting on both brands for quite some time now. I think members viewpoints would be very different today if there were things like a new updated Dodge Viper, Journey, Avenger, Caliber, Grand Caravan, Chrysler Aspen, an actual Pacifica crossover replacement, Crossfire, PT Cruiser, etc. All of these could have been easily incorporated (with the exception of the Viper). The Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country Have always been very similar. It would have been nearly as easy to Design a new Dodge front bumper, throw some red stitching in the interior, and change the airbag cover with the Dodge logo and call it a day. I think that would have been the better direction than to throw the Grand Caravan nameplate to the Chrysler brand and see what happens compared to the Voyager.

12. aldo90731

Well there are signs on intelligent life still left at Chrysler Canada.

13. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

I think they are underestimating the value that Caravan buyers place on the fold down second row seats. I think not offering them at all on this new "Grand Caravan" will be considered a step down by buyers. And, once again, it's overpriced vs. its competition for similar feature content.

UN4GTBL, somber, Adventurer55 and 2 others like this.
  14. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

They still offer the 2nd row is sto-n-go, it’s just optional at $2,000. Still less than the dodge caravan when optioned.

15. aldo90731

Caravan has been Canada's top selling vehicle for many years. The name carries a lot of equity. Getting rid of the name would make as much sense as Toyota ditching the Camry name, or Honda ditching the Accord name.

16. 55Plaza

55Plaza Well-Known Member

But why badge the de-contented Chrysler Pacifica a Grand Caravan in Canada, rather than Voyager? Caravan & Grand Caravan were Dodge models, they are no longer, so it should be a Chrysler Voyager. It is the same problem I have with coming out with a new Barracuda or Cuda, which was a Plymouth model.

17. 55Plaza

55Plaza Well-Known Member

I highly doubt that Aldo!

18. aldo90731

You may not like it, but FCA is going ahead with it.

Let’s face it, the average buyer doesn’t care if Caravan is a Dodge or a Chrysler. All they care is that it is a Chrysler minivan, and offers Caravan’s value and reputation.

19. purplepassengerpete

I think you are giving consumers too much credit. I can't tell you how many people still say "Dodge Ram". Wouldn't be surprised if it led to even more confusion. I can see it now: "Wait isn't that the Dodge Grand Caravan? I don't get it, it looks just like that Pacifica over there!"

UN4GTBL likes this.