AF: The Grand Caravan returns... in spirit | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Grand Caravan returns... in spirit

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by purplepassengerpete, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Hey, I've got two of them in my garage.

But you know as well as I do that the moment you mention "quality vehicle" the next words out of their mouth are either "Honda" or "Toyota".

2. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

No brand is perfect, but it seems that FCA is farther from it lol. Having said that, I picked up a 2017 Prius for my wife, so I'm curious to see how this goes...curious if the grass really is greener on the other side...

So far it's great on gas, but it had a random sensor go funny a few weeks ago, but was fine afterwards. However, I did have to jump start the Prius last week...

[​IMG]

purplepassengerpete likes this.
  3. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

The 12 V battery in the Prius is a relatively low capacity - it's only there for cold cranking, as most of the accessories are powered from the HV system via DC-DC converter once the car is started. If there's an aftermarket alarm, or anything else that draws from the battery when the vehicle is off, get it removed.

The battery is a glass mat type, but it's not a deep-cycle, so if it's been flattened a few times, it'll probably need replacing.

(We used to run a fleet of Toyota Hybrids for a car-share - powering our access control systems off the teeny-tiny 12 V batteries in them was fun)

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Yeah, it's a little battery for sure.

When we test drove it in the middle of March, after coming to the dealer it was being sold at unannounced, it fired right up, so I'm wondering if I hadn't shut the hatch properly or something, as Toyota doesn't seem to have battery drain protection like FCA vehicles do. It's been fine ever since at least. But it's probably time for a replacement anyways.

5. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

I can tell you that they do not. A couple of years ago, we ran a carpool service with Toyota hybrids, and we had a lot of trouble initially with batteries going completely dead.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  6. Powdered Toast Man

I'll tell you what it is. It's an PR strategy to disguise the fact that they're not investing in the future of the brand and allowing it to whither and die. "We're not letting the models die off without replacements! No! Dodge is just fulfilling it's role as a niche - performance - brand. That's all."

If you're familiar with the movie, This Is Spinal Tap, there's a scene where the interviewer asks the band's manager if the decrease in size of the venues the band is playing on every subsequent tour is a sign of the band's waning popularity. He responds, "No! No no no! It's rather that their appeal has become... more selective."

7. flffddy

flffddy Well-Known Member

Yes, I think you're correct here. It would be one thing if they were dropping Dodge vehicles and replacing them with Chrysler. No, they just aren't replacing them at all. Sticking a Grand Caravan badge on a Voyager isn't replacing the GC, but I guess FCA Canada has to deal the hand it's been given.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  8. Powdered Toast Man

It's purely marketing. They had already decided to rebrand the lower Pacifica trims as "Voyager". In Canada they just decided that "Grand Caravan" would be a more effective name since that model already is a massive seller here and it's generally in SXT level equipment.

Honestly, if it were the other way around and Dodge was continuing with the Grand Caravan and Journey and ending the Charger/Challenger then FCA would have said that it's just because Dodge is fulfilling it's role as a "people mover" value brand and that the large cars no longer fit that image.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

The more I think and I think then FCA Canada had taken a page from past gambles, like the 2010 Sebring who became the 2011 200 and further back in time, using the 1962 Newport body with a 1961 Dodge front end to create the Dodge 880.

10. Powdered Toast Man

I just had a look at the chrysler.ca website. They've got the 2021 Grand Caravan as one of the models. Further differentiation between the GC and Pacifica is that the 2021 CGC will still wear the old front and rear Pacifica styling. Only the Pacifica is getting the 2021 facelift and upgrades, apparently.

purplepassengerpete likes this.
  11. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

I had actually predicted that a while back. Makes sense if they're trying to entice people to pay a premium for the Pacifica. Curious if the GC and Voyager will have available AWD too.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  12. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Yeah, the Grand Caravan here = the Voyager in the USA. They are the base level minivans.

It will be interesting to see if they even offer a Grand Caravan here with full Stow N Go, as the Voyager only offers it to fleets...

The Pacifica is worth the price difference, IMO.

From what I understand, no, they will not have AWD, it's Pacifica only for AWD.

Lowest priced AWD minivan might be a way to draw more customers if they put it on the Voyager/Grand Caravan?

wilbur likes this.