Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Kings last Chrysler

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Fast Eddie, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

That rules revision they mention that allowed 3 year old Dodge Chargers to race for one more year was the ONLY major Nascar ruling favoring Mopar from that decade that I can recall (vs about 10 rules changes or allowances favoring "Brand C"). I sure heard about it from the "Brand C" blowhards that I knew back then too.

3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Photo (shared from Pinterest) of one of the last races for Petty's last Chrysler - Nashville Speedway, July 15, 1978. Three weeks before that, I had witnessed this car finish 2nd @ the Riverside June race. Petty didn't fare so well @ Nashville, only finishing 23rd. Two more races in the Magnum after this one and he was through driving Mopars in competition, switching to "Brand C" and then other GM models.

Petty in Magnum @ Nashville 1978.jpg

4. ChargerZ

ChargerZ Member

For some reason Petty did not like the Magnum.

#4 ChargerZ, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2017
  5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I think that Ed and/or DC93 discussed that on the Nascar historical thread back some time ago. Something about the aerodynamics being insufficient due mainly to the rear window area, IIRC.

6. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

The car needed a better rear glass design; more slope to get better flow over the back.
    Petty got caught at Charlotte with a longer deck lid, which would catch more air for downforce.
    Folks noticed he was running better and knowing he was loose, figured it out before the race!

It's all about the balance of the car.

7. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Read the Hemmings article. Read the blogs under it.

I remember something about this possible being one of the Winston cars that Petty made for Nascar.
    The seat in the car is a 1968 Nichels seat. Headrest, too. Rather odd in a Petty car of that time frame.
    AHA! Maybe an old reskin?? Whoever buys the car better REALLY look at it good.

8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I'm a little surprised that Hemmings didn't do better research on the history of this car. Maybe they aren't as "authoritative" as they make out to be.

You expect automotive publications to be historically accurate but sometimes I read/see stuff that makes me go huh(?) and my memory isn't the best anymore. I think this came up once in a discussion of the accuracy of a "Road &Track" article - IIRC it was on the "74 Dodge Charger" thread re the car that Hershel McGriff took to Lemans.

#8 Beentherebefore, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017