Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The last Oldsmobile ever built is for sale...

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by redriderbob, Dec 14, 2017.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

This was definitely not your father’s Oldsmobile, because he never had the chance to buy it.

The last Oldsmobile ever built is going up for auction on Dec. 15. The 2004 Alero is still owned by General Motors and until recently was part of the GM Heritage Center collection.

[​IMG]

The dark cherry sedan rolled off the line at Lansing Car Assembly in Michigan on April 29, 2004 and was signed under the hood and in the trunk by all of the workers at the now-shuttered plant.

GM had announced plans in 2000 to eliminate what was at the time America’s oldest car brand, due to its unprofitability. Pontiac, Saturn and Hummer would follow it into the history books a few years later, leaving the automaker with four core American brands: Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac.

The Alero is being offered at the State Line Auto Auction in Waverly, N.Y., which is one of GM’s top outlets for selling company-owned and off-lease cars. The automaker has not said why it has decided to let the car go.

2004 Aleros typically sell for under $5,000 today, but few have practically no mileage or come with a manufacturer's statement of origin, like this one.

Only dealers are authorized to bid at the auction, so it is very likely the historic ride will end up as a showroom showpiece, rather than your dad’s driveway.

Along with the Alero, GM is also auctioning off a 1996 Oldsmobile Cierra and 1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass, both the last of their models built.

The last Oldsmobile ever built is for sale (at http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/12/14/last-oldsmobile-ever-built-is-for-sale.html )

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  2. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

I don't know the last time was that I saw am Alero on the road.
    Never could stand the lights in the rear. Way too huge for the size of the car.

3. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

My stepdad went from Oldsmobile to Chrysler products in the late 70's, traded in his Cutlass Supreme for a Chrysler Cordoba, then for a Fifth Avenue, which he loved, and finally ended up in a Camry, which was reliable. Interesting to me that he eventually went for quality over American style, which is exactly what Aldo has been speaking of on here for some time now. I was always fonder of Buick than Olds, except in it's last few years when Oldsmobile actually made some of the best products GM had to offer. Was sorry to see them end up like Plymouth, simply because of poor management.

4. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Would make a nice winter car, so the Demon can stay parked in the garage... lol...

5. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I drove a 2002 Alero for work for almost two years. It wasn't a bad car. It handled nice, rode nice, was reasonably roomy, and had comfortable seats. I still see them on the road around here quite frequently, but rust is taking its toll on them.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  6. RobbieAG

RobbieAG Active Member

I've always liked Oldsmobiles. I had a 64 Cutlass, a 65 F-85 and still own a 96 88 LS (daughter's). I wouldn't be interested in this car though.

jimboy likes this.
  7. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

Olds is My Second Favorite Brand of Car!
    My Dad Drove them up Until He Started Driving MB Cars in the Early 90's.
    Did I Ever Tell You About the Speeding Ticket I Got in February, 1968 ?
    I Was Driving my Dad's 1966 Dynamic 88 4-Door 425 CI. Ultra High Compression 2-BBL. (YES 2-BBL) Racing a Guy From Southgate MI South on I-75 South thru Frenchtown Township.
    It was After Working 2nd Shift at Trenton Engine on the V-8 Engine Assembly Line .
    We Could Make it to T-Town (Toledo, Ohio) in to Time for a Couple of 3.2% Beers (Or Anything Else if we Went to the Right Bars) Before Closing.
    The Car I Was Racing was a Super Sleeper, a 65 White Ford Falcon 4-Door with a Built Up 289 CI Engine.
    His Problem was he had a 4.10 rear Rear End and Ran Out of RPM at about 105 MPH.
    I Remember Rolling Down my Power Window and Waving Bye-Bye to Him when he Ran out of RPM.
    About 2 Minutes Later I Remember Seeing a Light Up Sign on the Hood of A Michigan State Police, It was Next to Me, the Car that Had Caught up with Me.
    It Said "STOP STATE POLICE". He had Came Up on Me With His Lights Out.
    He Was Driving a 1966 Plymouth Belvedere I with a 440 in It.
    He Chewed me Out, Gave me a Ticket for 50 Over in a 70. The Ticket Cost $100.00
    He Said in Another 2 Minutes I Would have got to the Ohio Border. That's It's My Tough Luck!
    I Lost my License for 30 Days Too.
    That's Why Olds is My 2nd Favorite Car Brand.

#7 superduckie5000, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  8. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

When GM showed it was embarrassed by the Oldsmobile brand, it’s no wonder the customers went away.

9. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

The Alero is known as one of the biggest Lemons produced. Look it up. I know somebody who bought one new and had to have front wheel bearings replaced every year. And that's only the start of it. It may be the last Olds produced, but it's not an example of what people loved about Olds, that's for sure.

#9 MPE426HEMI, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  10. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The last new Olds that I test drove was a Toronado Trofeo. The 98 was still the top of the line and the Trofeo was more of a special coupe.
    The Cutlass Supreme was the top selling car in the U.S. for a few years. The Cutlass name may have been overused (like LeBaron) with the Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass LS and Cutlass Salon, etc.
    I think that the Olds Rocket engine lost its charm when GM was caught putting lesser engines in their Oldsmobiles. After that the disclaimer about 'various engines built by various divisions' appeared. GM seemed surprised by the amount of public backlash because they said that it had been going on for years. Customers would spend thousands more for an Olds and thought that they were getting the Rocket V8.
    Oldsmobile V8 engine - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_V8_engine )
    The poorly developed and executed Olds diesel V8 left a disdain for American diesel cars that sunk the hope for much of the future alternative fuel engines for awhile. A big car or RV getting 20 mpg was a big deal then. This was during a time when owners were seeking relief from high gasoline prices, not that diesel was that cheap either.
    Oldsmobile Diesel engine - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Diesel_engine )

Scrounge and superduckie5000 like this.
  11. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

was that v6 shortstar any good?

12. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

If Just Had Got Off Working on an Engine Assembly Line the Made an Big Block V-8 Engine Every 24 SECONDS,
    You Go Looking for a Beer Too !

13. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

Nonsense. These (like the ugly platform mate Pontiac Grand Am) were competent if unexciting cars. They are not "known" as lemons. My sister-n-law inherited one and managed to not kill it, which says something good about it. And If you don't believe me, read the reviews.

https://www.cars.com/research/oldsmobile-alero-2004/consumer-reviews/

14. MPE426HEMI

I remember this car listed several times throughout its years from various auto sources. Of every lemon that was ever known, somebody had one that lasted forever, so that means nothing.

#14 MPE426HEMI, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    vipergg likes this.
  15. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

exactly, its not like it was a Yugo that everyone knew was a piece of garbage .

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  16. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

Well there are 27 reviews, and it averages 4.4 out of 5 stars. I wish there were Mopars putting up those numbers.

This car got me through 10 years in my teens and twenties, the normal things that failed due to wear and tear had to be replaced, but as long as you take care of it, it will last.

The Alero currently has 289,988 mi on it & is still going strong. Has had very lil need for shop work. Very good gas mileage. Comfortable,great leg room, large truck. Maneuvers excellently & has saved my neck a few times. Love this car!

That steering knuckle design was used in a zillion other GM cars, none of them known for failing wheel bearings. I've heard the GM N-platform referred to as many things, but a lemon isn't one of them. Maybe your friends that were replacing bearings every year just used a lousy shop?

jerseyjoe likes this.
  17. MPE426HEMI

Well, then that would be the GM service department. No offence Lee but to counter your reviews, and this is one of many:
    A5A08601-192A-4E43-A64B-FB1B4E0A2F1C.jpeg

#17 MPE426HEMI, Dec 22, 2017
  18. MPE426HEMI

Now you know somebody will get on here and say they owned a Yugo for 52 years and it was an excellent vehicle with 2.6 million miles on it! Lol!

#18 MPE426HEMI, Dec 22, 2017
  19. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Opps I thought it was in the W platform (impala)

20. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

GM WAS doing this for years, but to a smaller extent than what happened with the '77 models. (Ford was doing the same thing by then, and Mopar had been using corporate engines since the end of the 1950s.) The Omega, for example, used the Chevy straight 6 as its base engine; its only V8 was the Rocket 350. When the Cadillac Seville was introduced for the '75 model year, the division didn't have a small-enough engine for it, so the Olds 350 was used. Its popularity, plus the increasing sales of Olds models after the recession ended, led to production capacity of the 350 being exceeded by demand, so GM started using engines from different divisions in some Olds models. The Delta 88 was one of them.

Starting with the 1977 models, the Olds Rocket 350 engine wasn't what it once was. Quoting from IC's link: "The early Oldsmobile 350s made from 1968-1976 are more desirable engines with heavy castings, beefier crankshafts, and better flowing heads. The later 1977-1980 350 had the "lightweight" castings, including a thinner block with large "windows" in the main bearing bulkheads, crack-prone head castings which were actually manufactured by Pontiac Motor Division (castings are marked "PMD"; these heads were also used on the 260), and a lightened crankshaft."

ImperialCrown likes this.