Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The last Oldsmobile ever built is for sale...

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by redriderbob, Dec 14, 2017.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

For a time in the late 60's Gm had 4 seperate 350 engines.Chevy, pontiac, olds and Buick Of the 4 I think the buick was the most unusual;
    It had the distributer in front, a external oil pump and a super heavy duty bottom block.
    Now a days its seems strange that 1 company had 4 seperate engine lines. Each one had its own strength and weakness but for sheer durabilty the buick is hard to beat.

2. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

That continued well into the 70's. They also each had their own big-block lines. Chevy a 454, Buick, Olds, and Pontiac had 455's.

3. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

I should have added that GM's downsizing program to meet mileage standards started with their full-sized cars for the '77 model year. The largest engines available the previous year were 455 cubic inches for the Olds division (and Pontiac and Buick), but starting with the '77's, the largest Olds engine was 403 cubic inches. The base engine for the Olds 98 became the 350.

GM was large enough to do so; for a long time, they produced more than 50% of all new cars made in the U.S. Each of their divisions could have been a separate independent make.

GM started as a holding corporation for various manufacturers (and not just cars; William Durant also bought parts suppliers). The main ones were Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Buick and Oakland. After Durant lost control of GM, he established Chevrolet, which he used to buy GM again. The individual makes pretty much worked independently for decades, though they shared some parts made by Delco, and were also supplied by Fisher Body, which became a full GM division during the 1920s. They generally developed their engines separately, though some of the smaller engines were shared by compact cars during the early 1960s. The V6 engine, for example, was developed by Buick for the Special, and used by Olds in the Cutlass. Both models eventually used the 250 straight 6 made by Chevy.

KrisW likes this.
  4. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

off topic:Cadilac had that huge 500 torqe monster, Does anyone use that for hot rodding?

5. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

I had a '02 Alero 2 door with a 5 spd std.

Was a great car, great on fuel and pretty comfortable. Never really liked the front look but it looked great from the rear.

Wil

6. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Wish ugly Buick died insteaf of Olds and Poncho. Last good looking front end was dropped somewhere in the mid 60's

somber likes this.
  7. jerseyjoe

I like low revving high power engines, geared right MPG can be respectable. Step on the gas and get whisked away sciently. I would build a 440 engine with that in mind. Anyway its your choice, lincoln had 460s I beleive.

8. jerseyjoe

I like low revving high power engines, geared right MPG can be respectable. Step on the gas and get whisked away sciently. I would build a 440 engine with that in mind. Anyway its your choice, lincoln had 460s I beleive.

9. RobbieAG

RobbieAG Active Member

The main reason Buick is still alive is its popularity in China. They sell more Buicks there than in the US.

10. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

It continued until people buying Oldsmobile's (mainly) were upset that the Old 350 Rocket engine they were expecting was instead a "lesser" Chevy 350 (or possibly a Pontiac or Buick engine).
    The nicest company car where my Dad worked was an Olds 88 with a Chevy 350. They got screwed and GM paid them something as part of a settlement..
    My neighbors had a Buick LeSabre with an Olds 350. They got lucky.

I think this all came to a head with the downsized 1977 large GM cars, though it had been going on before in some lesser models if I understand.

"GM cars use GM engines manufactured by various divisions"

11. JA Cumbo

JA Cumbo Enjoying the ride.
    Supporter

I have a late 70s Olds brochure that has an insert listing all of the various engines supplied by other divisions that could be used in the 88 and 98 models. Pretty confusing.

12. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Confusing is a good description for the 1977 models. The 98 had strictly Olds engines, either the 350 or 403 V8; the Toronado only had the 403 Olds engine. The confusion starts with the Delta 88, which could have either the Olds or Chevy 350; its base engine was the Buick 231 V6. The Cutlass only had the Olds 350, but could also have the Buick V6. The Omega could have either the Olds or Chevy 350; again, the Buick V6 was standard. The Starfire didn't have an Olds engine at all; its standard 4 was a Chevy engine, the optional V6 came from Buick, and the optional 305 V8 came from Chevy. There was also a small 260 V8 engine built by Olds, optional in the Omega, Cutlass and Delta 88. In the cars that could have either the Olds or Chevy 350, the Olds engine was put in California cars and cars sold in higher-altitude locations; everyone else got the Chevy 350. Did I miss anything?

JA Cumbo and RobbieAG like this.
  13. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

I beg to differ.

wtxiceman and ScramFan like this.
  14. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Oldsmobile did have one bad [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] car in the 1990s though...

15. jerseyjoe

Sorry I forgot about this one, I was waiting for its DNA to show up ina fwd version. MOPAR had more success in that area and maintained me as a customer. Those Buicks rueled the track for quite a while.

redriderbob likes this.
  16. jerseyjoe

Maybe Fiat should name all their cars Cutless! :D

17. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

I almost had one of those.