Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The loss of 200 and Dart....

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by CDJSalesPro, Dec 2, 2017.

1. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

FCAs decision to drop both 200 and Dart at the same time is leaving a serious void in our product mix.
    Previous happy customers of Sebrings, Darts, 200's and Avengers now have ZERO options when they want to replace their SEDANS. Everyone is not going to be converted into an suv. It breaks my heart when folks come in and they actually tell me that they wanted another Chrysler or Dodge sedan and were forced to look elsewhere:( These nice folks have bought from our dealership 3 times in the past and bought a VW for the first time because we now no longer have a small or midsized sedan. IF FCA has something for us in the pipeline I wish they would hurry and get it to us. We are loosing customers and market share daily.....

2. T_690

T_690 Active Member

@CDJSalesPro

Tell me. For example. Would they be interested in something at Kia Stinger price level RWD in mid-size segment.

IMO. Absence of compact sedan could be more problematic. But mid-size FWD sedan could be very easily replaced with more on-road oriented crossover than Jeep Compass.

3. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

OP - how many Jeeps & Rams did you sell in the same time frame while bringing in off-brand trade's? I am not being negative here, just asking as this is apparently how FCA is looking at the situation.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. srmitchell

srmitchell Active Member

5. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I think the argument is that they want a sedan, not a crossover. Someone who specifically wants a sedan is more likely to defect to a competitor than be persuaded to buy a crossover they really don’t want.

6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

THANK YOU for backing me up on this, when people here tell me to buy a Jeep or SUV. NOT the same.

7. CDJSalesPro

As for the midsized RWD Kia Stinger...I dont know because I don't sell Kia's. Currently the 300 starts in that same price range. But 32k is at the upper end of the midsized market. Currently we have nothing in a sedan fron high teens to low 30's and thats a problem.
    NO NOT EASILY...that is my point.... FCA thinks those people will all just convert to a suv.......but may folks don't want a an suv they want a CAR...a sedan....
    100%correct....... When my customer who I leased a Dart or 200 3 years ago comes in and says they want a sedan and now they are going to go look at an Accord or Altima .....I am [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] out......:oops:

#7 CDJSalesPro, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  8. CDJSalesPro

You are right...... do I try to convert those people into a Jeep...yes thats my job but FCA is not making my job easy.

9. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Where are all the people who said sedans are dead or dying? The ones who told Allpar members who want sedans to "go elsewhere".

As @aldo90731 has said, once FCA is out of the sedan market, even if they rebadge a Hyundai tomorrow, who is going to trust them to not discontinue it?

FCA is going to find that breaking back into the sedan market after being out for a few years will be so difficult that they will think the 200/Dart were huge hits in comparison.

10. T_690

T_690 Active Member

I just pointed to products which could be there in a FCA line-up in the future.

I don't believe that FWD midsize sedan will be the one. Unless the next CEO find a partner to build it.

11. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

Buddy - I'm already missing having the Patriot as a price-point leader. Sub-prime lending is tough when you've only got vans and Journeys that fit the approval.

As for cars, without a significant rebate we never sold 200s. Darts sold in my parts as a desirable vehicle.

Judas Shuttlesworth likes this.
  12. CDJSalesPro

13. CDJSalesPro

As for the loss of the Patriot... currently for us Renegade is taking up that slack (up to 6k in rebates if they qualify) but I hear ya.....

Was 200 or Dart perfect NO.......but at least we had a player in the game.... Now we are effectively out of the game and when we decide to play again we are going to find that the rules have changed .....

14. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I just think they never gave the Dart enough time to gain loyalty, or regain anything lost by the rushed introduction & perceived quality issues. It's the same thing every time they make a new attempt at that market. Give it time to make money, gain a following and actually make the [bleep] you say you will. *cough*scatpackdart*cough* *cough*glhdart*cough* *cough*dartsrt*cough* -- Those would've helped.

They clearly wanted a performance model, and so did the Dart enthusiasts.. but alas, it got to the point where people, including the enthusiasts, didn't trust Mopar to come out with anything worth while, with so many performance oriented show-cars, and nothing more than roof-racks and chrome [bleep] to show for it. By the time they did (hood & hood-linked intake), the Dart was already announced to be dropping from production, and there was little to no interest in buying a dead car.

.. and it would've helped if marketing had a clue how to market the thing; but I won't go into that.

#14 suzq044, Dec 2, 2017
  15. CDJSalesPro

you are 100% correct.....I mean ...they didn't even offer a rear deck FACTORY INSTALLED spoiler...all the while trying to call it "sporty"

16. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

Well Chrysler used to listen to the dealer council product wise. Is that still true?

valiant67 and aldo90731 like this.
  17. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

Just send them to the Hyundai dealer now that FCA has a partnership with them.

aldo90731 likes this.
  18. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Last month I received a survey from FCA concerning the service on the recall for my Dodge Avenger. They always throw in a question asking if I would by another. Answer: NO, I'm not buying another front drive sedan from Dodge or Chrysler, you don't make them anymore.

They can't properly market the Fiat 500X as a mainstream vehicle for the interim. One of the Dart's problems was it had to make up the lost momentum from the Neon's absence.

19. TripleT

Level III Supporter

They listen to the dealers tried to keep them, eliminated incentive in a effort to make money. The bottom fell out of the sales. Of course customer can now go get a Accord or Camry while those companies bleed cash doing it. We have been over this a million times. FCA doesn't have the capacity or resources to bleed cash while the market adjust. EVERY SINGLE SEDAN FACTORY IN NA is being converted to Make CUVS. When that happen the capacity will balance and fingers crossed the sedan margins will rise as supply balances better to demand.

The Truth hurts and sometime isn't what we like but it is still the Truth.

#19 TripleT, Dec 2, 2017
    AlfaCuda, tlc, Tomguy and 8 others like this.
  20. TripleT

Level III Supporter

please go buy a sedan from another company, so they take the lose. If people paid proper margin on 200 and Dart they still would be being sold. But its hard to compete when Accords and Camrys are being given away to cover capacity Cash flow.

This is Dead Horse.... I get wanting what you want but you are not loyal to Mopar by asking her to take it on the chin for you. The opposite is the case. Charger is kick butt car with better dynamics then Avenger every dreamed of having.