Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The loss of 200 and Dart....

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by CDJSalesPro, Dec 2, 2017.

1. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

Us in sales avoid mentioning we're connected to FIAT in any way. I feel for the dealerships that are carrying Fiat alongside CJDR.

2. T_690

T_690 Active Member

IMO, when 500 and Journey leave Toluca there is a high possibility of another Small Wide car from there.

And I'm still with conclusion that 7 seat CUSW car as a replacement for Journey is a mistake. Who builds cars around naturally aspirated V6? That's thing of the past.

ScramFan likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

They are paying the studios to stay in business. Perhaps a going out of business settlement won't be as large as you think and it eliminates FCA from subsidizing studios indefinitely.

GM continued to support their "orphan" brands like Pontiac, Hummer and Saturn at other dealerships. FCA could do the same with an orphaned (in the US) Fiat.

I think you underestimate the costs of Fiat staying in the US and overestimate the costs of leaving.

Erik Latranyi and aldo90731 like this.
  4. grungerockjeeper

grungerockjeeper Active Member

I absolutely agree the 200 is a better car...I had one as a loaner a few years back and in terms of feeling like a substantial vehicle, it was head and shoulders above anything from Toyhonsan. Japanese cars always seem to have a very fragile, lightweight and just tinny feel to them, like if you are in anyway careless or rough they'll fall apart. But that wasn't my point. The 200 is a fwd midsize sedan. As a whole, this class is VERY homogenous and the clear cut priority there is cheap reliable transportation for 4-5 people. Not handling, not performance, not utility, or anything else. Outside of a cheaper price or preference in styling, theres no compelling reason really to pick one over the other.

A rwd midsizer that's actually enjoyable to wring out on the twisties and stands out visually against all the beigemobiles on your block is a reason to seek it out. Infiniti's G series, BMW's 4 series etc sell at a premium and have that desireability for the same reasons. Dodge and even Chrysler can cash in on that with a rwd midizer the same way the LX cars have. Basically a car for someone who would buy an LX but is a bit put off by the larger size.

eastcoaster, jimboy, Ernesto and 2 others like this.
  5. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

The decision of discontinuing one after 30 months, the other after 18 months was going to make consumers view them as junk, anyway. Along with all the implications that would carry for Dodge, Chrysler, and ultimately FCA.

Sergio was just adding insult to injury by opening his mouth.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  6. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I agree there was nothing seriously wrong with 200.

Yes, the 2.4L wasn’t the best, and the rear seat was a little cramped. But the 200 V6 was an enjoyable, thoroughly modern car with a stunning interior. Especially in S trim.

It was going to take years to retrain the average shopper to think of Chrysler as a place to go look at a midsize sedan. But alas...

7. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

Mercedes Benz Canada forced multiple dealers to set aside space for smart dealerships inside the Benz stores - and they did it for about 10 years until it was just becoming silly to give such no-gross cars real estate where Benz's could be sitting and actually making everyone money. Now, aside from I believe one dealer per major city, all the others have taken back the floor space for Mercedes Benzs.

I predict the same will happen with the dealers selling Fiats, they'll get some sort of refund from FCA and re-take the space for CDJ vehicles, or turn them into indoor used car show rooms.

The brand failed over here, they need to cut their losses and focus on what pays everyones bills.

somber and aldo90731 like this.
  8. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Don't the Fiat studios sell Alfa? I thought those were holding their own.

9. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

No, at the last minute they axed that idea and stuck the poor dealers with Fiats only. The only dealers around here that sell Alfa is a Ferrari store and the other used to sell just Maserati but now also sells Alfa.

amclaussen likes this.
  10. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

The front seat was cramped too, roof was low too. My Aura feels way more roomy than the 200 that I sat in, and a Camry or Accord is far roomier feeling than my Aura.

11. TripleT

Level III Supporter

Hey Mike when was the last time the 500 was made in Mexico, wasn't that a few years ago?

Local dealer added Fiat to become a CDJR & F.... seems to sell quite a few.

12. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

FYI the new Compass was just provided its first large rebate since debut in my parts - $2,200 Off and $1,000 After-Tax to all clients and models.

aldo90731 likes this.
  13. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Thank you! somebody gets it... ;)

14. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Published by FCA Mexico 3 october 2017.

Compass, 500 and Journey.

15. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Bob, my response was specific to @Judas Shuttlesworth who had responded to my comment. It had nothing to do with your dismay. That said, I think the decisions that have been made including discontinuing Dart and 200 make it more likely that FCA survives. I can't share internal information that is not available to the public in general, but even the public information provides enough insight to make it apparent that the course of action is working.

TripleT likes this.
  16. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

I can't share more about internal finances than are available publicly, but even the public financial demonstrate that the decision making is sound at least for the short term. I'm certainly not going to guarantee the future (too much can change), but based on scenarios and their financial implications and the the likelihood of each happening, the right decisions were made. Note I don't like those decisions any more than the rest of you. I wanted the revised Dart and the 200 to continue. That's just a desire of my own. But objectively, what I wanted was not right for FCA. I won't give any more insight than that, sorry.

AlfaCuda, ScramFan, GasAxe and 4 others like this.
  17. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I know our local dealer sells Fiats, but no Alfa's. Granted, I'm not exactly in Atlanta, so there's probably not much market.

18. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

It really was a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. They continue making a vehicle that reportedly loses money or makes very little but gets people into the showroom or get rid of it for vehicles that don't have as big a draw but have a higher margin.

I don't like the decision, but I understand it from a certain perspective. As has been said, it would have been nice to keep a very low production of them going, but FCA chose not to do that.

Want to make your voice heard? Do as I did and write, or email, FCA and tell them.

GasAxe and Doug D like this.
  19. TripleT

Level III Supporter

Amen brother, think people confuse personal desire for what is a good for the company. After decades on the brink of death, making frequent poor fiscal decisions. I loved the Dart, I travel frequently.. even having a Dart, a Cruze, and Focus back to back. I would pick the Dart every time... even when the horrible dog smell from the last renter. These weren't bad products, no 99% of consumers didn't hear SM dog the 200 with honest criticism.

Its really simple, the class turned upside down and FCA could not find a profitable place to produce the product while reorganizing it short capacity to have a continuous supplies of Rams and Wranglers during their change over.

Its not a conspiracy, its not a personal decision to lock loyal consumers out, it isn't a disaster, it was simply the proper business decision.

the scramble at Honda, Ford, and Toyota confirm it.

#439 TripleT, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  20. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Stopped at a C/D/R dealer in Toledo. Up front and center of the showroom was a 124 and a Guilia. The Fiat dealership across the street, apparently owned by the same group, had 500s and Alfas sitting on the lot outside the Fiat dealership.

TripleT likes this.