AF: The loss of 200 and Dart.... | Page 30 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The loss of 200 and Dart....

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Dec 2, 2017.

1. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

My buddy is beside himself that Ford dropped the V6 Mustang.

2. 97 plymouth neon expresso

97 plymouth neon expresso Well-Known Member

somber likes this.
  3. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

they don't screw around, I asked how do they execute them... thinking about the hurdles here in the USA .... "A bullet"

4. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

While the new V6's are excellent in the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger, I don't think most have the emotional attachment like the V8's do. Personally, without a V8, I'd look pretty hard at a euro sports sedan first.

rapidtrans likes this.
  5. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level 2 Supporter

I really like my v8 but if they switch to the twin turbo v6 that has been mentioned I don't think I would turn my nose up at that.

6. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

:D

Prius, Mustang V6, or Camaro V6 ...... AND Soy Milk :p :p

7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

TripleT likes this.
  8. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

FCA US advertises the crap out its AWD vehicles, depends on the region you are on.

richmond, GasAxe, Ryan and 1 other person like this.
  10. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

A fair point, but Subaru has been trying to do this in Europe for decades with little success. Why do you imagine they entered the World Rally Championship with a UK-based team in the late 1980s? More recently, they developed a diesel boxer engine (my neighbour has one in his Impreza... but he also has an immaculate 1970s Triumph Stag V8, which tells you a lot about the kind of person who owns Subarus here). Even after this, sales remain poor. There's no critical mass behind Subaru.

I know a few Subaru owners (unsurprising, I suppose, as I'm a car enthusiast), and I do like Subarus in the way you like a lumbering slobbery dog. They're certainly well built, but they lack any kind of style, and parts availability is horrible when things break. Basically, they're in a place where Jeep was about ten or fifteen years ago in Europe: if you own one, you must love it, because you had plenty of opportunities to be dissuaded before buying.

I believe that in the long term, in Europe at least, Subaru will find itself in a pincer between Jeep and Land Rover - two brands with much bigger presence and mind-share, and much bigger development budgets. The movement of other "prestige" brands into the crossover space will hurt them also.

11. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Indeed. Subaru’s inroads on the marketing side have been stronger than the product side. It still has a lot of work to do to bring its product to a competitive level, especially in styling and transmissions.

But Subaru’s US growth didn’t come from its old positioning for sportiness; it’s coming from positioning itself as a viable alternative to the local mainstream brands. And it only started doing this nine years ago, which is not a long time when it comes to positioning a brand. As far can tell, it still hasn’t applied similar strategy outside the US.

Subaru has to manage growth given existing production capacity. My guess would be Subaru will likely deploy its new strategy throughout the Americas first, before tackling EU. Canada and Mexico are logical next in line; maybe Brazil and the rest of South America after that.

With regards to Subaru getting pinched between Jeep and Land Rover: you are thinking of the “current” Jeep. FCA may facilitate Subaru’s job as it keeps taking Jeep down the path of Renegade, Compass, and that front-heavy 3-row Jeep is —so far— planning for China. There’s nothing any of those “Jeeps” can do that a Subaru can’t. Although the lack of parts availability you describe would likely hinder Subaru plans in EU.

#591 aldo90731, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Erik Latranyi likes this.
  12. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

It wont be so easy for Subaru in Canada as everyone else advertises just as loud about their AWD vehicles. AWD vehicles that don't have flat engines, CVT transmissions or bland/ugly designs. November 2017 they sold 4767 cars. VW did 6003, Toyota did 15052 and FCA did 19054.

Passenger car market was also down 10% - perhaps FCA isn't as dumb as you think

13. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

My Father in-law is a proud, and happy to discuss about, V6 Camry owner. Listening to him rip into Honda for no V6 and the terrible "start/stop" technology he had in a rental vehicle is almost funny.

aldo90731, vipergg and UN4GTBL like this.
  14. somber

somber 370,000 miles

Thanks for the link! I've been following the Taishan Gypsum case which involved drywall made with hydrogen sulfide. It hasn't been going well for the U.S. homeowners affected by it. A U.S. District Judge ruled that the Chinese state-owned company needed to pay damages, but that was rejected by China's Ministry of Justice as infringing on China's sovereignty.

I think there must be a difference in consequences for hazardous products if the company is state owned.

15. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Fca and vw (audi) are te two most well know car companies in Ontario. Every time i went there ally ou saw was some form of dodge or Audi. And now that i think about it i don’t remember seeing a Subaru from the last 5-10 years from all the time i was there.

16. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

That's funny you noticed Audi as until around 5 years ago they had serious allocation limits to Canada. It was so bad that they could basically get MSRP for anything due to limited supply, where Mercedes and BMW had no limits and routinely give $7000 discounts on 3-series/C-class (they go up from there on more expensive models).

17. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

Im with him on any stop/start option . I never want it .

18. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

I'm sure you yell at kids to get off your lawn too ;)

UN4GTBL likes this.
  19. valiant67

valiant67 ...

There will probably come a day when you won’t be able to buy any new car then.

20. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level 2 Supporter

I thought it might be nice to have on my Charger until I drove an Alfa with it. I despised it. It almost always shut off just as I was lifting my foot off the brake to hit the gas. This resulted in jerky starts because my foot was already depressing the accelerator by the time the car caught up to my action and restarted the engine. I shut it off half way through the test drive.

On the other hand, it seems unintrusive in my girlfriend's Malibu and in the very short time I drove it, I experienced none of the issues I had with the Alfa.