Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The NEW Ongoing Allpar Blunder Recovery System

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

The '60-'62 Dart page:

1960-1962 Dodge Dart cars (at http://www.allpar.com/model/dart.html )

The second sentence under the "Safety Features" heading starts, "Seat belts had yet to arrive". Seat belts had been introduced earlier; according to this, Nash had them in 1949, and Ford in 1955, though I think they were both for the subsequent model years:

Seat belt - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_belt )

According to this, some 1948 Tuckers also had them:

Seat Belts and Your Collector Car (at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2005/09/01/seat-belts-and-your-collector-car )

And according to this, Chrysler had them in 1956:

The Hotly Contested History of the Seat Belt (at http://blog.esurance.com/seat-belt-history/ )

However, they remained optional until the 1960s. Later, toward the end of the 1961 Dodge Dart Changes section, it reads, "Engine choices were the slant six, 313-cid V8 (2 or 4-bbl) and 361-cid V8." This should be 318-cid V8.

#221 Scrounge, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  2. Scrounge

It also reads 313 under the Across the Board Changes heading in the Canada paragraph. And this sentence, "The number two ring was be standard, and a new, one-piece oil ring was added." would make more sense were "be" eliminated (third paragraph after 1962 changes heading).

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I’ll try to catch up soon.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Re the seat belts, I added the words “in the Dart” — that was pretty unclear. I didn't mean there were no seat belts at all, in any car! My bad.

That page is crying for a rewrite.

5. Scrounge

Still an informative article. The tail fins on '60 Darts ended almost on top of the tail lights, which make them look better than the full-sized Dodges (Matador & Polara) with tail fins that stopped about a foot before the tail lights.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Yes, it's still got good info, just hard to read. I'm up to 1961.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

OK, done, now to add pics.

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Scounge, can you recheck the Dart article?

9. Scrounge

Improved. I like the extra pics. I wondered if the '60 station wagon pic was a Dart, but after researching, it looks like Dart sw tail fins also stopped about a foot before the tail lights. I also like the extra pics of the '61 models; this will show viewers what critics described as ugly, and the differences in side trim between the Seneca, Pioneer and Phoenix models. About 10 years ago, I saw several '61 Darts and Dodges in a junkyard, but I've not seen one on the road for decades. And the total sales figures section is cleaner.

One of the statements in the '60 models says that the alternator was optional. I'm not at home to consult my sources, but my recollection is that the alternator was introduced with the '60 Valiants on the slant 6 engines, then installed toward the end of the model year across the board as standard equipment. (This was in U.S. vehicles; apparently, you found evidence that the generator lingered in Canada.) If it was optional in the Dart models, was it from the start of the model year?

Also under 1960, "horsepower figures are gross". True, but known as brake horsepower. We know that, but younger viewers might not immediately know what "bhp" means beneath.

Under 1962, you mentioned the Polara 500, which had a different grille and taillights. If this was considered a Dart, I'd like to see a pic of each end. But if not, mention of the Polara might be gratuitous. I'd also like to see a pic of how the 413 cross-ram was squeezed into the downsized engine bay. If such pics can be found.

Technically not an error: "the 361 was still lingering, with a single four-barrel." The 361 was made through the '66 model year. Instead of "still lingering", maybe "also available". According to this, it was also available as a cross-ram, but on the Phoenix, so probably not for '62:

The Mopar (Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth) B series V8 engines: 350, 361, 383, and 400 (at http://www.allpar.com/mopar/b-engines.html )

With the more potent 383 and 413 engines, the performance 361s were becoming less common, and eventually, that displacement only left the factory with a 2-barrel carb.

Toward the end, under the Sales heading, a * is after the 1962 total, without a later reference to it. If it means the Polara 500 total to the right, then the * isn't necessary. I guess this would mean that the Polara was considered a Dart model during the '62 model year.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Thanks. Good changes. I can't find a Polara 500 pic. While bhp is valid, I think many know it better as gross and net.

Made the changes and found Polara 500.

#230 Dave Z, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  11. Scrounge

Still a * after the 1962 total under the Sales heading, with no reference to it.

The '62 Polara 500 grille and taillights weren't much different; the painted insert with the extra trim on the rear quarters was the most noticeable change. Across the board, the overall effect looked like it was derived from the smaller and cheaper Lancer, which might have been another reason why buyers avoided it; those who liked the style could pay less for the compact, which wasn't that much smaller. The look might have improved with the tail lights either straight horizontal or vertical, the bright headlights also straight horizontal with the main ones outside of the grille, and removal of the side fins.

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Oh, I missed that. Oops. You’re right about the 500. The Lancer was a foolish decision overall. Weakened both Plymouth AND Dodge. What probably would have made sense would have been to push Chrysler up a little and keep Plymouth out of full size cars, making room for Dodge. Or giving up on price differentiation and finding some other way to push Plymouth and Dodge apart.

13. Scrounge

Makes sense: Plymouth economy, Dodge mid-range, Chrysler upscale, Imperial luxury, sized accordingly. Plymouth and Ford models both grew larger for the '57 model year, followed by Chevy for '58. Rambler made huge sales gains because they had the only low-cost compacts during this recessionary time. The Big 3 introduced compacts at the lower ends for the '60 model year, but Dodge, Mercury, and 3 GM divisions all wanted them, too. The other makes gained models that were different enough, but the Lancer was essentially a Valiant.

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

15. Scrounge

'74 Plymouth page:

1974 Plymouth Valiant Brougham: an unexpected success (and other ’74 cars) (at http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/unexpected-success.html )

Under the Cricket heading, "Chrysler Canada, however, moved the nameplate to created a Plymouth version of Dodge’s popular Colt, its captive import from Japan built by Mitsubishi." Either "moved the nameplate to" or "created" should be deleted. Or maybe "created" should be "create".

Under the Engine recap heading: "Satellite Custom, Sebring, and base cam with the slant six or 318 V8 standard; all other Satellites had a standard 318." Try "came" instead of "cam".

16. Scrounge

"The Warlock came with either conventional two-wheel or fourwheel drive," Should be four-wheel.

"All had black interiors accented by gold tape on the dash and the doors, and a “tuff” steering wheel; In 1976," Either the semi colon should be a period, or "In" should be lower case.

You report that the Warlock only came in 3 colors. A breakdown as to how many of each were sold would be interesting, if that stat is available.

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Thanks. I don't think that breakdown is available.

18. bugo348

bugo348 Member

I found a small typo on this page:

1949 - 1952 Dodge Wayfarer: stylish smaller Dodges (at http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/wayfarer.html )

"For 1950, Dodge restyled the Wayfarer, changing the grille and adding fender-mounted tail-lights and a chromem strip on the rear fenders; the Sportabout roadster was replaced by a convertible, still selling for $1,727, but now facing tough competition from the Nash Rambler, which was pricier and slower but got much better mileage. The charming little Rambler actually outsold the Sportabout by 3:1 in 1950 alone."

"Chromem" should be "chrome".

19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Thanks. Will fix.

20. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member