Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The NEW Ongoing Allpar Blunder Recovery System

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

You can. I said as much in the step by step instructions. You click on "download directly" and it takes you to another page where it insists you should install the plugin but has another "download directly" link which does it.

The plugin is just inane for an 87 MB file.

Tomguy likes this.
  2. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

I misread that part. Maybe it was wordy or I didn't have my covfefe yet.

bugo348 and DarkSky like this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

It was in a long list. The thing is they really push the Akamai plug-in. People today should know never to install plugins they don't absolutely need.

4. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Well-Known Member

Not sure if really a blunder, but it's about the article regarding "skip-fire". The skip-fire in the patent has absolutely nothing to do with MDS at all. You know how when you start your car, the engine tends to overshoot a bit on start up, then settles down to the normal idle speed? That's what this "skip-fire" technique is dealing with. It's just purposely making the engine misfire to prevent that startup overshoot. The idea is to make start-stop technology more seamless. Nothing to do with MDS.

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

6. AutoTechnician

Hmm. I suppose it's possible it may eventually be purposed for that, but the reading the patent from Chrysler, it seems they're mainly concerned with using the technology to smooth cold starts.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Since Tula is the co-inventor, I really think it's a matter of efficiency, but you could be right — an odd use for skip-fire. They sure covered a lot of bases in the patent, which I suspect might be tossed under challenge as being overly broad.

8. Speedy D

Speedy D New Member

9. Speedy D

Speedy D New Member

In the article "The Amazing Mopar (Dodge/Plymouth) 340 V8 Engine" Havens and Volkmann state that the 'six pack' was available in 1970 only -- but the 1971 Chrysler press release shows this option available in 1971. Could you clarify which is correct?

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I'll dig into it.

11. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

It's still fourwheel in the Warlock article.

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Maybe I should upload the revised version [sigh]

13. Ron42Dodge

Ron42Dodge New Member

"1956: TorqueFlite debuts with push-button drive; Killer retires; transistor radio" should read
    "1956: TorqueFlite debuts with push-button drive; Keller retires; transistor radio"

14. Alain95i4

Alain95i4 Member

Eagle Talon and Plymouth Laser: Mitsubishi cars with pentastars (at http://www.allpar.com/model/eagle-talon.html )

it was the opposite the turbo version had a mitsu engine/mitsu trans atx or mtx
    the none turbo had the whole chrysler drivetrain 420A engine and A604 atxtrans or nvt-350 mtx

15. AutoTechnician

ZF9 article correction: The particular dog clutch the patent mentions is used in gears 1-7, as well as in park/drive/reverse transitions. The idea is that replacing this with a friction clutch will allow more rapid and smoother shifts into, or out of 8/9 gear.

16. Scrounge

John and Horace Dodge article:

John and Horace Dodge: From Building the Model T to Dodge Brothers (at http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/dodge-brothers.html )

Toward the end of the first section, in the Olds paragraph, "He had the dodge brothers make thousands of engines and transmissions..." dodge should be capitalized.

Two paragraphs later, " [the stake and laon may have come later]" I'm guessing that laon should be loan.

Under Dodge Brothers cars, about the 8th paragraph in: "The electric starter, once the engine was running, became a generator to refill the battery." I think recharge works better than refill. Less an error than a redundancy; 3 paragraphs earlier, "...the brothers worked with George Kierman to create the “Dependable Dodge Four” engine, an L-head design wtih a forged steel crankshaft, three main bearings, and open combustion chamber, and gear-driven camshaft." The "and" before open combustion chamber isn't needed. Also note that wtih should be with.

Toward the end of the section, in 1919, "they also launched an enclosed fourdoor sedan during the year." Fourdoor should either be two words, or separated by a hyphen.

Not an error; you described some of the differences between how the Dodge brothers and Henry Ford treated their employees. I recall reading that, when Ford first offered his factory workers $5 per day, some Dodge workers took the offer, but many of them returned to Dodge because working conditions were better there. I forget exactly where, but it may be in a book about Ford.

Since the page title is "John and Horace Dodge: From Building Fords to Dodge Brothers", you might consider splitting it into two pages, the first ending in 1920 after the deaths of the brothers.

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

18. Scrounge

A lot of info in the Dodge Brothers report, so a few typos were bound to creep in. You might check the rest of it for wording; I considered a few sentences questionable, but not errors.

Generally, a clean article on the 2003-2009 Heavy Duty Rams. You might want to change this: "The Dodge Ram was, when the 2003 heavy duty pickups were launched, the longest lasting pickups sold in America," "Ram was" and "longest lasting pickups" mixes singular with plural. In the picture of the Power Wagon, the caption reads, "It makes Expeditions look small!", but the picture shows a PT Cruiser, which IS small. Not an error, but under the Mega Cab heading, I'd like to know what the difference, if any, was in the wheelbase. If no difference, what was changed in the body to allow for the longer cab? The bed looks the same as other versions.

Earlier, you wrote, "The styling was usually seen as a let-down from the 1994-2002 pickups," Following a legend is a thankless task. The style wasn't much different; I like the larger taillight lenses, but the headlight lenses, with the straight tops and rounded bottoms, could have been improved. One of the features I hate is the white-backed gauges, but I don't know if they were new with the redesign, or implemented earlier. A weak spot in the earlier models is the dashboard top, which often cracked and disintegrated in the Texas heat. Was this addressed and corrected with the redesign? But this would probably go in the Common Problems page, which you link to at the bottom.

Didn't see anything in the article about the SRT 10. According to this, it was available from 2004:

Dodge Ram SRT-10 - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Ram_SRT-10 )

19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Thanks. Will fix all this... question: wasn't the SRT10 based on the Ram 1500, not the 2500?