Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The NEW Ongoing Allpar Blunder Recovery System

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Mar 26, 2017.

1. DaveB

DaveB Member

In your Fury article you state "The 426 Hemi option ended in 1971." I was unaware that the 426 Hemi was ever an option for the Fury line?

2. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Will check both of those. Thanks.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I have no idea how that got there but you're right. Fixed now. Thanks!

Fixed Ninth. Thanks!!

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Cody, sorry I missed your message, fixed. Thank you!
    Isaac, sorry I missed your message, fixed. Thank you! (And that was a big oops on my part.)
    Scrounge, I dropped that language - thanks

6. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

7. Scrounge

1967 page:

Plymouth, Chrysler, and Dodge cars of 1967: Belvedere, Fury, Barracuda, GTX, and Valiant (at https://www.allpar.com/history/plymouth/1967.html )

In the first italicized paragraph: "Barracuda withi either 273" -- should be with.

The next paragraph repeats what was reported 4 paragraphs prior, and is therefore gratuitous.

"The Rambler series included three basic series: 220/440/Rogue, Marlin, and 550/770/SST." Not an error, but I think the lower end 220/440/Rogue was still called American, and the 550/770/SST was called Rebel (formerly Classic). If the Marlin was Ambassador-based that year, shouldn't it have been classified with the Ambassador?

Fury: "Headlamps remained vertically stacked, a style that was becoming outmoded; Pontiac had started doing it in 1963, but dropped it from the Grand Prix in 1967 and from the rest of the line in 1968. Ford also dropped the cue in 1968, while Plymouth and American Motors’ Ambassador followed suit in 1969." Cadillac also had stacked headlights through the '68 model year.

The first sentence under the Belvedere and GTX heading: "Not much change here except for three little letters...plus three letters: GTX 440." Shouldn't the second "letters" be "numbers"?

Next paragraph: "the only sheet metal variation for 1968 was on the trunk lid to match new tail-light lenses." The 1968 Belvedere group differed from its '67 counterparts in more ways than that. The sides had more of a fuselage styling (with round side-marker lights), and the grilles were also changed. You might drop that entire sentence, and mate the remaining sentence to the next paragraph.

"Hemis were installed in 125 GTXs, 14 in convertibles (10 with Torqueflite; 7 with four speed transmissions) and 108 in hardtops (48 Torqueflites; 60 four speeds)." 10 and 7 adds up to 17 convertibles, which, added to 108 hardtops, makes 125 GTX Hemis.

Under Valiant: "The divided grilles were separated by a filigreed Plymouth emblem, the taillights followed the rear contours. wrapping up onto the fender tops, and tile side windows featured the first use of curved glass on a compact." The first period, following contours, should be removed. Describing the Signet, "It did have optional bucket scats" -- should be seats. The last sentence: "the four barrel 273 Commando, likely a rare option for tile new "formal" compact." Tile? Maybe the. Also, "tile side windows" in the earlier quoted sentence.

The very last sentence: "Gas tanks (except wagons) held 25 gallons - in today’s prices about $70 a tank!" If someone reads this during a future "today", the total will probably be different. In fact, it's probably different now, depending on where in the country you live. Gasbuddy reports regular gas for less than $2/gallon in the St. Louis area, which would make a fill-up about $50 -- unless the tank feeds a 440 that requires premium. And when gas averaged more than $3.50/gallon a few short years ago, a fill-up would have been close to $90 for regular.

Earlier in the Chrysler section, a new "dual-braking system" was mentioned. If this means a dual master cylinder, wasn't that new across the board?

The title includes Imperials, which were redesigned for the '67 model year, but no mention of them is made in the report.

This reminds me that I've owned Mopars from every year from '64 through '70, except for '67. I'll put ownership of a '67 at the top of my bucket list.

#327 Scrounge, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

9. Scrounge

Regarding typos, both articles look clean. You might have another pair of eyes check the facts.

Toward the end of the 1997 article, the list of executives in place during 1997 includes 4 who started in 1998: D. L. Davis, S. J. Harris, R. O. Schaum, and Chris P. Theodore.

I was told that, starting with the 1997 model year, the Cummins diesel engine mileage was worse than it was previously due to Federal emissions standards being implemented for diesels. I don't know how accurate that is, though.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Chris Theodore was already there, I guess he was promoted in 1998? I'll check the rest of them... “since” must mean ”officer since.” You could be right about the Cummins but since there are no fuel economy numbers for them...

Thanks for checking!!

#330 Dave Z, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  11. Scrounge

1974-5 Chryslers page:

1974 and 1975 Chrysler cars (at https://www.allpar.com/history/chrysler-years/1974-75.html )

The very first sentence states, "Chrysler brought out a brand new line of large cars for 1974, one year after the oil crisis struck and large cars suddenly became unpopular." They were introduced during the fall of 1973, just before the gas shortages occurred. In response to Nixon sending weapons to Israel during the Yom Kippur war, OPEC doubled the price of oil, then doubled it again. Nixon's wage/price controls were still in effect, which held down the retail price of gasoline. Because gas stations couldn't raise their prices to compensate for their higher costs, they instead shut their gas pumps rather than sell at a loss. By the spring of 1974, gas could be bought anywhere, but at much higher prices than at the start of the model year.

I'll agree that the timing was bad; gas prices gradually rose during 1973, so at least one model could have been introduced, or adjusted, for fuel efficiency.

Third paragraph: "As in the past, they solid, well-built big cars," It looks like "were" should be between "they" and "solid".

Just before the New Yorker section: "Not least, the door latches were made stronger but smaller door latches ." The second "door latches" is gratuitous. Next paragraph: "In 1975, the New Yorker gained the Phase II Electronic Ignition System and a new muffler system which, with other changes, that reduced external noise by 60%." "that" is gratuitous.

End of the fourth New Yorker paragraph: "along with FM stereo an eight-track tape player." "an" should be "and".

First Cordoba paragraph: "It struck a cord" should be "chord".

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I'll fix those, thanks

Fixed! THANK YOU!!!!

#332 Dave Z, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  13. Scrounge

A better introduction, and the typos are corrected.

You may have misinterpreted when I wrote "that" is gratuitous. I meant just the word, not the entire sentence. It would better read, "In 1975, the New Yorker gained the Phase II Electronic Ignition System and a new muffler system which, with other changes, reduced external noise by 60%."

14. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

From the Caravan/Voyager development story at Creating the Plymouth, Dodge, and Chrysler Minivan: The Caravan/Voyager Development Story (at https://www.allpar.com/model/m/history.html )

In the paragraph above the chart showing minivan sales, the word "engine" is repeated. (I quoted the paragraph here and bolded the duplicated words)

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I moved the sentence elsewhere.

16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

page2171 likes this.
  17. Scrounge

The 1954 page:

Chrysler 1953-1954: moving forward, looking backward (at https://www.allpar.com/history/chrysler-years/1953-1954.html )

3 paragraphs before the DeSoto heading: "In Canada, the Cornet sedan was built in 1953, the Royal sedan in 1954." Elsewhere, it's spelled Coronet, which I think is correct.

Not an error, but throughout the article, metric measurements are used for length and engine size. I'd prefer the English versions.

Ok, I see it now. It's probably better there.

I think it's common courtesy. And it expedites your corrections.

18. Cody's Car Conundrum

19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I'm just dropping the word Stratus. Probably meant Avenger or Charger.

20. Cody's Car Conundrum