Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The NEW Ongoing Allpar Blunder Recovery System

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Mar 26, 2017.

1. mmahamm

Level 2 Supporter

On the page entitled, "Dodge Ram 50 and Plymouth Arrow: Japanese pickup," the text states that, "In 1987, the D-50 line was redesigned and named Ram 50". However, there's a picture that is labeled "1983 Ram 50." The implication that it was not named Ram 50 until 1987 cannot be correct.

2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Either that or I mis-labelled the image, which seems more likely. I'll take a look.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Ah. You are absolutely right. Ram 50 and Power Ram 50 in 1983.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Thanks, switchover was 1981.

5. CNT900

Level 2 Supporter

'The 1970-1971 Dodge Dude Pickups', serial numbers beginning in D14AE did not mean Dude's were built consecutively, it means the majority were 4X2 1/2 tons with 318 V-8's.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Good catch. Thanks.

7. TXCOMT

TXCOMT New Member

In the Lynch Road piece, you wrote:

In a more pedestrian but very useful footnote to history, a manager discovered early in World War II that the Lynch Road plant had been story 155 mm recoil mechanisms for big guns used in World War I.

Is there a word missing around the "story" part? Should it read "storing?"

Other than that, it was a pretty cool read...keep up the good work!

TXCOMT

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Got it, thanks!

9. John G. Dungan

I don't know if this is an errror, but I could find no mention of the backup camera in connection with the descriptions you provided about the REN radio. I did manage to download and even install an upgrade to my system (REN-REZ.9.292), but after the long installation process I still have no space on HDD and no backup camera. Any ideas? This is on a 2008 GC.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Gotta contact OklahomaWolf. I don't have an answer.

11. Charger Red

Charger Red Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed on the "Red, red, red - and other Demon colors" story of 17 October 2017 that the Tor Red graphic is actually Redline and vice versa?

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Apparently not...

13. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Looks like I was interrupted in the middle of editing, there. Thanks.

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

16. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

I don't know a lot about older Mopars like that (anything that isn't Dodge is my weakness, I should be ashamed haha). So I just looked to make sure everything was spelled correctly (and that the sentences made sense). As far as I can tell, you did great! Only one sentence got my head scratching.

"A new $631 Salon décor package on the four-door cars included a high-gloss silver leather covered steering wheel and aluminum fascia road "wheels. To the end, the Brougham stood apart from standard New Yorkers, keeping all their Imperial cues.

(The bit that's bolded). Did you mean "To that end," instead?

17. Scrounge

I'm guessing "to the end" means the end of New Yorker Brougham production.

Saw a few things. The only typo I spotted was in the last paragraph, where Brougham twice wasn't capitalized.

In the article, the St. Regis is introduced in January 1974, but in this one,

1974 and 1975 Chrysler cars (at https://www.allpar.com/history/chrysler-years/1974-75.html )

it's introduced in 1975 (or maybe the '75 model year). One of them is wrong. Also, was the St. Regis an option to the end of the run? It's mentioned again for the '76 model year, but not after that.

In the italicized second-to-last paragraph, "Both took regular leaded or unleaded fuel" -- by the 1978 model year, they should have taken unleaded fuel only. The only way they'd have taken leaded would have been to remove the catalytic converter and widen the pipe to the gas tank, which the factory and dealers wouldn't have done. Of those covered in the article, only the '74 models could have run on leaded or unleaded, and unleaded then would have had lower octane than leaded, so it wouldn't have been recommended for the large V8 engines.

"The hood ornament still used Chrysler’s traditional lions, as it had in 1974-75." I'm guessing this means the New Yorker Brougham, but it might be mistaken for the Imperial, which had an encircled eagle hood ornament. Was the lion ornament also used on the last of the large Monacos?

The green sedan in the second-to-last picture looks like a Newport, not a New Yorker Brougham.

A nice article on some very nice cars.

Cody's Car Conundrum likes this.
  18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Changed “to the end” note. Thanks. Fixed the capitalization. I fixed the second story. I don't know about the St. Regis past 1976. Cats did become mandatory as you say, but according to Hemmings, not until 1977. Chrysler itself said you could use regular unleaded in the 1974 press releases - what you say makes sense, though. THe lion was New Yorker only, I'll clarify that. Don't know about the lion on Monaco. Green sedan... I will check. Thanks.

19. Scrounge

I think that the domestic cars had to have cats starting in 1975, but imports were exempt until 1977. Some domestic trucks were also exempt.

Your hood ornament statement now has a closed parenthesis without an open one. The way it reads, parentheses aren't needed.

Willys Whippet page:

Willys Whippet: advanced small car (at https://www.allpar.com/cars/adopted/whippet.html )

Third paragraph: "it gained four wheel hydraulic brakes in 1939, using the Chrysler design." The last Whippet was produced in 1931. Other parts of the article go well beyond Whippet production. They'd probably better fit a separate article on Willys during the Depression.

20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I owned a 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit - no cat, took leaded gasoline. They had to change for 1980. I don't know the years and I'm looking into it now, but there is a lot of false material out on the web, e.g. Catalytic Converter Laws (at https://legalbeagle.com/7194804-catalytic-converter-laws.html ) claims they were required in 1972 (maybe that's when they started being phased in?) Wikipedia just notes “most ... engines” had them since 1975, which is true. GM and Ford adopted cats (and, I think, EGR) before Chrysler, because Chrysler figured out ways around it, e.g. Lean Burn.

I'll fix the other statements - thanks.

1939 Whippet was a typo, should have been 1930. I rearranged and rewrote.

#360 Dave Z, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017