Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The NEW Ongoing Allpar Blunder Recovery System

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks. I should have looked in the Dodge section. You corrected the spelling of his name earlier.

2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Yes, it's kind of odd that they brought him in for one and not the other, he's not int he Plymouth book but he is all over the Dodge book,.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

4. Scrounge

Several pics aren't coming through: the first one of the 2002 Dodge Ram 1500, the third one of the 2002 tailgate, the 2005 purple Ram, the 2005 Ram 1500, and the 2006 Ram. The rest are ok. The last photo's caption says that it makes Expeditions look small, but the vehicle pictured is a PT Cruiser.

Don't know if this is an error, or if I'm just missing something: "(H point couple)" -- what is that?

The first paragraph of the 2002-2008 drivetrain ends with a closed parenthesis, but one isn't opened earlier.

Under Other new features, "The bed on the standard 1500 model was three inches shorter, but the cab was 3.5 inches longer." This was mentioned in the first section, and might appear redundant. Unless a reminder was intended.

Don't know if something's missing here, or the wording needs improving: "The steering wheel-mounted audio controls were packaged with AM/FM stereo radio with cassette and CD player or an AM/FM stereo radio with cassette and six-disc in-dash CD changer -- SLT; both equipped with 11-speaker Infinity system." Does this mean that only the SLT models had this feature?

Response was hesitant when I went up and down the page. I don't know if this is something on the page itself, or if my computer has a glitch, but I'm not currently having the same problem with this thread, or in this forum.

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Thanks. I've uploaded the pix and will examine the rest ...

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I made a bunch of other edits on this second pass, including taking out the irrelevant bits (2500 and 3500 series).

7. Scrounge

It reads better now, and I like the pics. One minor wording note: "Specially, JTE wrote:" This might be changed to especially, or specifically. Or maybe just eliminate Specially.

The page moved at normal speed when I scrolled down, but hesitated as I scrolled back up. Eventually, the "Aw, snap!" screen replaced it. Something is bogging it down.

Mention was made of the 360 and V10 engines being available along with the new ones. How long did they remain options?

One weak spot on the 1994-2001 full-sized trucks was that the top of the dash panel would often crack and become brittle, perhaps due to extreme weather conditions. Was this improved starting with the 2002 redesign?

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The V10 was an error, ... I brought in material from the heavy dutys. That's gone now. I have no answer for you on the dash panels. 360 was only into 2003 model year and dropped, I suspect, as soon as Hemi was ramped up.

9. EvanR

EvanR New Member

Is this thread still active?

I may have just found the most amusing error in Allpar history.

URL: Polyspherical head engines (at https://www.allpar.com/mopar/poly.html )

There is a quote from "Hemi" Anderson, referring to a car he was working on. The correct name of the car is "Facel Vega".

Quoting the article, "When I worked on a 330 DeSoto Hemi V8in a Fecal Vega..." :)

(No Chevy jokes, please!)

#409 EvanR, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    wtxiceman likes this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Thanks. I am guessing this is mobile-phone correction coupled with editor seeing what he expects to see... fixed

11. georgef

Level III Supporter

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Thanks, fixed!

13. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

On the article regarding the 1954 Dodge, it leaves one to believe that it had a 331cuin. Double rocker engine instead of the 241. It takes a long way into it before it finally gets corrected.

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Good catch - clarified - thanks

15. Scrounge

Page 250 in my edition covers the 1928 Dodges. Apparently, Galen Govier was consulted between editions.

16. Scrounge

John and Horace Dodge: From Building the Model T to Dodge Brothers (at https://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/dodge-brothers.html )

That's the book where I saw it, in Chapter 7 on Pages 128 and 129 (1986, hardcover edition):

“Charles A. Madison was a worker who left the Dodge Brothers' plant in pursuit of high wages at the beginning of 1914 when the Five Dollar Day was announced. But after only a week at Highland Park, he returned to Dodge. He had not realised he would have to work six months before qualifying for his profit-sharing bonus, and even at $5.00 a day he decided he could never work at Ford. He had intellectual tastes and had felt 'too fatigued after leaving the Ford factory to do any serious reading or attend a play or concert.'

“Madison settled for $3.00 a day, the more relaxed and friendly atmosphere of the Dodge plant, and the energy and appetite for some life of his own after he had clocked out from work. His brief week at Ford remained in his mind

a rancorous memory – a form of hell on earth that turned human beings into driven robots. I resented the thought that Ford publicists had made the company seem beneficent and imaginative when in fact the firm exploited its employees more ruthlessly than any of the other automobile firms, dominating their lives in ways that deprived them of privacy and individuality.

“Madison had found himself shadowed by stopwatch wielders and harassed by his foreman, who seemed harassed in turn by his own superiors. The only way Madison could keep up with his production schedule, he discovered, was to work right through his eight-hour shift without a break, munching on a sandwich while endeavouring to keep pace with his machine – 'no allowance was made for lunch, toilet time, or tool sharpening' – and once he had proved capable of maintaining that rate for a day, working flat out and pushing himself to the limit, he was ordered to work still faster.

“Madison was a victim of 'speed-up,' the new word that had entered the workingman's language with the introduction of the continuously moving assembly line. Sales decided to cut prices, Production decided to increase volume, and, down on the line, the ordinary worker found that the belt was moving past him just a little faster, and that the foreman was asking for just one extra component or so every hour – a dozen or so extra per day."

My memory somehow exaggerated one worker's report into many, though I doubt that he was the only one. The author is British, hence some of the spellings. In a subsequent paragraph, he reported that during the first month of the $5 per day wage, "900 Ford employees were dismissed because, as Greeks and Russians of the Orthodox faith, they had taken time off work to celebrate Christmas as it fell by their Orthodox calendar – in January."

17. Scrounge

18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter