AF: The NEW Ongoing Allpar Blunder Recovery System | Page 23 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The NEW Ongoing Allpar Blunder Recovery System

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

The 1970 line:

Chrysler, Imperial, Dodge and Plymouth — 1970 (at https://www.allpar.com/history/chrysler-years/1970.html )

"The Belvedere was Plymouth’s entry-level big car, the first one above the Valiant." Maybe "big" compared to today's largest cars, but mid-sized then. The C-body Fury was Plymouth's largest car for a long time.

"1970 brought a new grill and rear end treatment for the Satellite line, which was a higher trim level of the Belvedere, with different sheet metal." Was any of the sheet metal different? The Satellite may have had more trim than the base Belvedere, but I think sheet metal was the same.

I thought so. When I see a hockey game on the Windsor channel, that's how numbers are punctuated.

2. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Thanks. I'll try to get these corrections made. This article was a text-recognition job from the Plymouth Bulletin.

4. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Acclaim/Spirit/LeBaron page:

Dodge Spirit, Plymouth Acclaim, Chrysler Saratoga and LeBaron: popular sedans (at https://www.allpar.com/model/acclaim.html )

8th paragraph: "a trunk led that opened down to the bumper level for easier unloading," -- led should be lid.

"The big news for 1991" paragraph describes a turbo engine without noting its displacement. 16 valves probably means a 4, but there were at least 2 of them, the 135 and 150 (2.2 and 2.5, in metrics).

The last car Dad bought was a used 1995 Spirit, red with a V6. After he died, I considered buying it from my sister, but at the time, I didn't have the room. She sold it to the neighbor across the street: after she died about 2 years later, her husband wrecked it. It's still sitting in his driveway, needing a new front end. Looking back, I should probably have made the room.

5. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Original Barracuda page:

Plymouth Barracuda - the early, sporty, Euro-style cars (at https://www.allpar.com/model/cuda.html )

Second paragraph: "it wasn’t just a copy of the Ford Mustang, essentially the same idea applied to the Fairlane," -- the Mustang used the chassis of the Falcon, not the Fairlane.

The last picture in the '64-'66 section is of a '68 model, which would be more at home in the next section.

"The 340 cubic inch engine used starting in 1968 provided the best of both worlds: relatively light weight with amazing speed. In 1968 the 340 engine was added to the option list." The second sentence is redundant.

The photos are nice; I'd like to see one of the '64 grille, to show the differences between it and the next two model years.

6. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

7. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

1958 Dodge Royal, Custom Royal, and Coronet

They also came out with the 325 cubic inch Red Ram V8, built at Mound Road, a good one to drive. The 361 V8 was optional. These were polyspherical-head engines, similar to the original Hemi but with cheaper heads.

Should be:
    They also came out with the 325 cubic inch Red Ram V8, built at Mound Road, a good one to drive. These were polyspherical-head engines, similar to the original Hemi but with cheaper heads. The 361 V8 was optional.

The 361 V8 is in the wrong place. The 361 was a wedge, not a Poly like the 325.

Thanks
    Randy

Beentherebefore likes this.
  8. sleepwalker77

sleepwalker77 New Member

I was looking at the Mopars on television page and found a incorrect entry. Under "Single-episode high coverage" the info on Everybody Loves Raymond is wrong. First, the entry says a Dodge Spirit crashes into Raymond's house. Actually the car was a Plymouth Acclaim, (the other AA body). It is easy to tell just by looking at the tail lights not to mention you can see the Plymouth Acclaim name plates on the trunk lid if you look closely. That was season 5, episode 3 & was called "The Wallpaper".

Secondly, Everybody Loves Raymond should not be listed under single-episode as there was another episode with a Mopar. The episode was called "The Car" from Season 1, Episode 15. Ray buys his parents old car, (his former make-out mobile) for Debra. The car was a 71 or 72 Plymouth Valiant 4 door sedan and is seen in several scenes parked in the garage.

Third. There was a 3rd episode with what are now Mopar related cars.The Barone family travel to Italy in Season 5, Episode 1 called "Italy, Part 1" from October 2000. The family are seen driving a 1969 Fiat 500 L Also Robert gets picked by Stefania for their date & she is driving a 1983 Alfa Romeo Spider convertible. (The models and years for these Italian cars are according to the Internet Movie Car Database)

9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Good updates. I wouldn’t call it wrong, since “single-episode high coverage” mainly means it's not featured in the series (you don't see it every episode), but the additions are welcome. I'll see if i can get them in. I don't want to add Fiat to the list, it just makes it too large to handle (we'd also have to add Alfa and Maserati, and then what about Mercedes?) Might take a while to get posted, I'm still seeing about how we're going to do that.

10. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Optical character recognition strikes again! I'll get in there to fix it as soon as I can.

12. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Dave Z likes this.
  13. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Claybarring demo:

Claybarring cars for a cleaner, smoother skin (at https://www.allpar.com/fix/body/claybarring.html )

Third from last paragraph: "I would suggest is to make it easier on you, don’t do the whole car at once;" Maybe remove "is", but I'd reduce the sentence to "To make it easier on you, do one panel at a time." And eliminate "Because" from the next sentence.

In the next paragraph, "Especially" seems gratuitous at the start, since it's used again about halfway through the sentence.

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I'll see if we can get these fixed.

15. 1999 White C5 Coupe

Level 2 Supporter

16. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

I don't see these being fixed any more, but I remain obliged to report when I spot an error or typo. Like this, in the Spirit/Acclaim/LeBaron page:

Dodge Spirit, Plymouth Acclaim, Chrysler Saratoga and LeBaron: popular sedans (at https://www.allpar.com/model/acclaim.html )

7th paragraph: "a trunk led that opened down to the bumper level for easier unloading" -- "led" should be lid.

If you see one advertised, these are affordable, reliable used vehicles. (The R/T is a sleeper, but will probably cost more.)

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I'll ask about these.

18. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

TC3/024 page:

Dodge Charger (four-cylinder), Turismo, Plymouth Horizon TC3, and Dodge Omni O24 (at https://www.allpar.com/omni/turismo.html )

Not really an error, but could use elaboration: "The Turismo and Charger were joined by the Scamp and Rampage, respectively — pickup versions of the cars, based on designs by an outside shop and implemented by Chrysler’s own engineers and stylists." This was during the 1983 section. The Rampage was introduced for the 1982 model year, and produced into 1984; the Scamp was only offered for the 1983 model year. Maybe a link to this page would help:

Plymouth Scamp and Dodge Rampage: sporty economy car based pickups (at https://www.allpar.com/omni/rampage/scamp-rampage.html )

19. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Also from the above article, needs clarification as to which Engines were available and when:

"Chrysler launched two new hatchback coupes named Dodge O24 (later to become the Charger) and Plymouth TC3 (to become the Turismo) in 1979.

These sporty cars, based on the well-known, internationally engineered Omni and Horizon, offered a new 2.2-liter overhead-cam engine, developing 84 horsepower, or the base (imported) 1.7-liter developing 70 bhp. The Plymouth TC3 2+2 offered Rallye and Sport Appearance packages with a rear spoiler. The base engine was the 1.6 "Peugeot" powerplant, actually designed for the Omni/Horizon - it became a Peugeot engine when Chrysler sold their European operations (which had designed it) to Peugeot"

The 1.7 was the base Engine O24-TC3 from 1979-1982 while the 1.6 became the base Engine 1983-1986.

The 2.2 was introduced and optional for the 1981 model year and the base Engine from 1987 on.

While the 1.6 was imported, the 1.7 Engine was a product of VW'S Westmoreland Pa. plant.

Also, I dont think its fair to claim the Omni/Horizon were internationally engineered.

While the Omni/Horizon body was based on the European Horizon the domestic chassis was not.

It was totally different and engineered in the U.S.

Thanks
    Randy

Scrounge likes this.
  20. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes, I also recall that the first engine available was supplied by VW, but didn't think to research.