AF: The NEW Ongoing Allpar Blunder Recovery System | Page 26 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The NEW Ongoing Allpar Blunder Recovery System

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Valiant page:

1960-1976 Valiant and Barracuda: Compact Plymouth cars (at https://www.allpar.com/old/buyers-guide/valiant-barracuda.html )

First sentence: "Chrysler was late getting into the compact market." The Valiant was introduced for the 1960 model year, same as the Falcon and Corvair. Maybe Chrysler's compact development started later, but market entrance was roughly the same.

About halfway through the first section: "In dimensions, it was slightly larger and heavier than it competition" -- should be its competition.

Third paragraph before the end of the section: "The package increased the 170 horsepower to 148 bhp" -- should be 170 cubic-inch engine.

In the 1963 section: "The rear of the car was to bear a rounded, sloping appearance not unlike the 1996 Mercury Sable." Not an error, but shouldn't it read something like the 1996 Sable was the copycat, not the Valiant?

2. 1999 White C5 Coupe

Level 2 Supporter

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

You're right, will fix if I can, when I can...

4. 1999 White C5 Coupe

Level 2 Supporter

5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

There's an error on this page:
    The Plymouth Road Runner in Alternative Bodies: Fury and Volare Roadrunner (at https://www.allpar.com/model/road-runners.html )

This is incorrect:
    "The 1980 Road Runner was the final year — as it was for the Volare. The two cars shared all the same engines — except one: only the Road Runner could get the 318 four-barrel. The name was never revived for any of its natural targets - the Omni GLH and GLHS, for example."

The 318 4bbl engine was not Road Runner specific.
    The federal engines were a 225 1bbl and a 318 2bbl, plain Volare or Road Runner.
    The 318 4bbl was optional with either the High Altitude or California emission packages.
    The only way the Road Runner (or any other Volare) got the 318 4bbl was to have one of these emission packages.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Will fix if/when I can

7. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

1964 Plymouth page:

Plymouth cars of 1964 -Savoy, Belvedere, Fury, Valiant (at https://www.allpar.com/history/plymouth/1964.html )

Under the Plymouth Valiant and Barracuda heading, the last paragraph starts, "The new 273 LA V8 was actually designed for the Valiant, and went into production in December 196 with a two-barrel Carter carb and single exhaust." 196 should be 1963.

Under the Competitive Comparison, about halfway down: "But dimensions and there benefits," -- should be their. 6 paragraphs later, "In the safety department, we have safety rimmed wheels, more break-lining area" -- should be brake-lining.

Up a bit further, under Canada, it looks like the last 2 paragraphs should be under a separate heading, as I doubt that 343,193 Plymouths were sold in Canada alone during one model year.

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

That's quite a lot of typos!

9. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

I should have added that, like most of your pages, it's an interesting and well-written article. Which, to me, makes the minor typos more glaring, akin to a small but visible scratch reducing a Sport Fury from Concours to excellent condition.

I initially thought that failure to mention the 273 under the engines heading was an error of omission, though it was covered in the Valiant section. The 273 was the base V8 for the B bodies, but I can't find any evidence that this was the case before the 1965 model year. Further, it was developed as a V8 engine that would fit in the Valiant and Dart, and wasn't introduced until the 1964 model year was underway, so maybe it was only available in the compact cars until the 1965 models were introduced.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

On behalf of Lanny, thanks!

11. 1999 White C5 Coupe

Level 2 Supporter

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

13. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Mopars of the stars:

Chrysler Corporation vehicles owned by famous people and celebrities (at https://www.allpar.com/history/celebrities.html )

"Owned the 1965-Imperial-based Green Lantern car; crashed it in the 1990s (Marky Ramone is actually Marc Bell)" This should be Green Hornet, specifically the TV show, not the movie. It's questionable whether he had an actual car from the TV series, though the information on them is often contradictory. Marky's is a 1965 model, and the show purportedly used 1966 models. But some sources claim a 1965 model was used. Also, some sources claim that 2 cars were used in the show, while others claim 3. A picture of Marky with the car is #14 in this list:

Stars & Their Cars | Fair Blog (at https://www.fair.com/blog/stars-and-their-cars )

14. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

I think the only 1950's Dodge to get a factory Chrysler Hemi was the 1957 D501 with its 354 Engine.

Thanks
    Randy

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Good points all, and hopefully will be fixed someday

16. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Would the one I saw have more likely been a dealer installation, or after-market? Growing up, I was used Chrysler/Plymouth dealers and Dodge dealers being pretty much separate, so a Dodge dealer would either have to find a 392 at a different dealership, or order one from the factory, and how many of them would have done so? The car was show quality, though I don't recall if the 392 info was on a fender chrome piece, or the write-up. I think that Mopar engines started being corporate in the 1959 model year; before then, they were specific to each division.

17. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

I'm not qualified to answer Sir but would also like to know!!

You're right about each division using their own Engines with few exceptions.

One was the 1959 Dodge with a unique 326 CID Plymouth A series Engine.

Dodge didn't want to replace its 325 with a 318 so they whipped up a 326 A Engine for 59.

By 1960 Dodge used the regular 318 A series Engine.

Another was DeSoto, who only built Hemi Engines and used Dodge Poly Engines when required.

Everyone used some version of the B/RB beginning in 1958.

Thanks
    Randy

.QUOTE="Scrounge, post: 1085152135, member: 59104"]Would the one I saw have more likely been a dealer installation, or after-market? Growing up, I was used Chrysler/Plymouth dealers and Dodge dealers being pretty much separate, so a Dodge dealer would either have to find a 392 at a different dealership, or order one from the factory, and how many of them would have done so? The car was show quality, though I don't recall if the 392 info was on a fender chrome piece, or the write-up. I think that Mopar engines started being corporate in the 1959 model year; before then, they were specific to each division.[/QUOTE]

18. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

True. Good catch.

20. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Plymouth PA page:

1931 and 1932 Plymouth PA cars (at https://www.allpar.com/old/pa-plymouth.html )

Second paragraph, last sentence, under the Free Wheeling heading: "It gave som extra economy and convenience." -- "som" should be "some".

Under the Floating Power heading, second to last paragraph: "They were then asked whether they had ridden in was powered by a four cylinder or eight cylinder engine," Something like "the car" should be inserted between "whether" and "they".

In the sidebar under the Special versions heading: "In 1932, Chrysler suffered an $11 million loss as car sales fell despite a drop in the price to $614/car on average. 1933 made up for it with a $12 million profit on double the sales — though prices now down to $528/car." "now" should be replaced by "were". This is an omission, not an error: the loss was mainly due to the financial arrangement made when Chrysler bought Dodge 4 years prior.

Aside from the minor errors, a good, detailed article about an important Mopar model.

Dave Z likes this.