AF: The new (to us) Compass. | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The new (to us) Compass.

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by bguy, Nov 14, 2014.

1. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

Well folks we purchased a nicely cared for 2011 Compass North Edition 4x4. Just under 51,000km on the clock. It's grey with a grey interior. Has 2.4 with the CVT auto. I've driven it for about 30km with a short put down the TCH. Reading about the CVT I knew exactly what to expect. Pick a light throttle setting and the engine doesn't rev out, the car just accelerates steady. I found it quite interesting and would probably have a bit of fun experimenting with the best throttle/acceleration ratio.

One thing I can't quite discern is the 4x4 system. It seems to be full time 4x4 but there's a 4x4 button. Does this lock the transfer case or engage some limited slip device?

Thanks for reading.

2. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

You're right about the CVT - if you don't hammer the gas it's actually quite livable and just goes about its business.

All AWD/4WD Compasses and Patriots are normally in AWD mode - the "4x4" button (or lever, really) locks/couples the front and rear shafts so both axles are active full-time. It does make a significant difference in slippery or loose rock conditions.

3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

There are a couple of neat videos explaining the Freedom Drive I and II:

I have the CVT in the Caliber. The 'feel' takes some getting used to (I found it unpleasant at first).
    The electronic throttle has no throttle cable. With an untrained foot, it will seem to race and bog.
    The VVT selects the optimum valve timing and the CVT selects the optimum gear ratio.

bguy likes this.
  4. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

On the subject of CVT, my 2012 Compass has about 21K on the odometer,.
    What should I do about transmission service at 24K, anything?
    Thanks.

5. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

If under warranty, I'd bring it to the dealer for the scheduled service.

6. dodgeismycar

Thanks.
    I believe that the fluids should be drained,etc, correct or is it too soon?

7. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

24k miles? The manual doesn't have any service on the cvt until at least 100k miles (unless they've changed something since my '09). However, I had a noise start at 50k that went away once I had the dealer do the transmission service. From what I've read on other Patriot forums, the 50k mile transmission service is recommended for the cvt as a preventative measure.

8. dodgeismycar

Thank you so much!

9. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

Keeping the A/C condenser coils and/or radiator (especially the lower third or fourth) free of dirt and insects seems to go a long way toward preventing transmission from overheating on long trips in hot weather. I use a shop vac with a crevice nozzle. It seems the transmission can overheat with the engine temperature remaining in normal range.