Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Originals....

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by PTRed, Dec 6, 2006.

1. PTRed

PTRed Guest

Greetings from one of the original ancient member's of this site. Neal, Susie, Papa, Poodle, Snoopy etc. Some of which I got to meet way back in DC in the summer of 2001.

As for my PT so far no mechanical problems, other then front brake pads. In my opinion the paint quality is very frail and thin on my 01. The Black door pillers are a pain the @#$% to keep looking good as they "streak" but lots of rubbing compound seems to keep the appearance at least tolerable. Gas mileage is 20-22 in the city, 24-26 highway with auto. Absolutely no rattles, squeaks, or klunks, not bad for a car that hit the road May 2001, and Indiana weather can be tough on cars which does bring up my one mechanical complaint... the AC has always seemed weak particulary if the temp is 85 or higher with any humidity, just never seems to cool the car down compared to same size of import. Current mileage is 50K.

Poodles, 01 has 100K, and to the best of my knowledge again other then front brakes all she has had done is a front ball joint. Again the blank door pillars on hers got to point of absolute UGLY but she had them replaced while under warranty and I have not thought to inquire as to how they look now.

Susie.... if you still out there..... well my ears still..... aaaa you know :p

2. VNT

VNT Member

I have 53K on my 03 GT and not one problem. Have done some wear items, brake pads up front and rear rotors and pads, fluid changes and that is it. My AC seems to be pretty good.

At local dealer, I know service manager and one customer has 01 Touring and is up to 145K miles and no issues. Assume they probably changed the guys timing belt and did a water pump when they had it apart.

3. Richard Cranium

the passenger seat has begun creaking in my '06 :p

4. powerglide

powerglide Member

My 01 has 81,000 and the m.p.g is still in the mid 20s. The fog light switch stuck on so I pulled the fuse, little oil leak at the hose at the top of the valve cover that still gose on but is livable, My big surprise is that I still havn't done any brakes yet. The rotors look like crud but still have 30% on the fronts and more left on the rears. Been a fun, dependable little car!!

5. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

One of the real originals here. My 01 PT has racked up quite an extensive repair list:
    • water pump (2x)
    • radiator
    • rear main seal
    • motor mount
    • crank and cam position sensors
    • Watts linkeage
    • lower control arm bushings
    • multi-function switch
    • power window module
    • ignition switch
    I've also done one (1) 4-wheel brake job, platinum plugs, timing belt, P/S and A/C belts, K/N air filter and tires.

Not bad but not great for six years/60K miles.

My 02 GC has been bullet-proof on the other hand. A battery, water pump, and tires in 65K miles.

6. juma1998

juma1998 Moparaholic

You have REAL bad luck with waterpumps CUDA! :(

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I've only got 14,000 miles... no problems so far. As for A/C, it's FAR better than our 1999 Corolla was, even when that was new... you may want to see about a recharge, this 134a stuff disappears quickly. (That Corolla was checked in 1999 and had a full charge, but by 2002 it needed a refill!).

Hope to see you and as many of the others as we can reach in New Jersey in october...

8. frangar

frangar Guest

We had one of the first PT's here in the UK.....I remember Poodles...or was PTC4poodles??? anyhow we have done 108,000 Miles....In that time we have:

Had 1 water pump (warranty)
    New Fenders due to tape marks (warranty)
    New drive shaft due to ABS cog cracking (NOT warranty :angry: )
    3 sets of front suspension bushes (1 warranty 2 not!)
    2 sets front pads/rotors - 1 rear pads/rotors
    1 Power steering idle switch
    2 sets Tyres
    1 Indicator stalk

It HAD been very reilable until this morning when it wouldnt start and had a P0171 fault code!!!! Garage to be contacted tomrrow!!! I guess it was upset as we tested a new PT diesel and Caliber diesel yesterday!!! For the record we are going for the PT cos we think it still looks cooler!! as goes better!! Just waiting till next year when we get the Opal colour way!!

Any comments welcome

PS wish you could mix n match 2007 models are lacking lights in sun visors...map reading lights......under seat drawer......PROPER arm rest.....Pockets on both front seats.......Funky air vents......Nice alloys....iPod integration .......ho hum never mind!!!

STILL A COOOL CAR!!! B)

Gareth

9. stevie

stevie Guest

Hi PT Red
    Long time no see
    I retired my 01 automatic red Pt Limited for a 06
    manesium PT touring converible 5 speed w chrome option.
    Luv it so far. I actually like the ride better.
    front end seems firmer. My 01, I had to install the
    stabilzer bar in engine compartment. Don't need it in 06.
    The only thing I miss is trunk space.

great seeing your name pop up

STEVIE

miss the old gang
    we had a great time
    on the old chat room.
    I remember Susie, Poodles, Jersy, PT Red, Snoopy, Boop, Neal, Bully etc.....
    I still keep in touch with Bully & Neal. You know they're married now. couple years now.

10. OWilliams

OWilliams Guest

I've been MIA myself for a few years: found the ptcruizer site spring of 2K (drove my 2001 home in September 2000), but haven't been online since maybe 2002. Are rocketman, ruby, John or any of the other old crew you haven't mentioned. or even sprocketman and his contemporaries?

11. imickey503

imickey503 Member

i was the first one in the navy to get one, and really, it's been a problem monger. it seems there is no real fix for the electrical problems as they keep on reocuring in the 01 pt crusiers. However i am glad i opted for the aftermarket sunroof ,made in holland beacse that is the only window that opens in my car now. i have a myraid of eltrical issues and find this to be not linited to just the pt crusiers but the neons as well. and latter cars using the same LUKAS sorced stalk. I have no lights in my car. and now, im stuck with the dealer on friday. what joy!

12. neal

neal Member

glad to report the opposite- besides a battery, and maybe a dash light or two - no problems, no rust, and even no new brakes yet (at 62K!...see related post). Matter of fact, I guess Vinny's 7 yr anniversary is right about now! B)

13. neal

neal Member

:blink: :eek:

what? (oh yeah, right! ;) :rolleyes: )

a belated "Hi y'all"!

Outside of Stevie, Boop, and Snoopy haven't seen or heard from any of the rest , even John (I'm assuming Tourin John) has been MIA for a couple of years now (although I did just get a PM from someone else of the old forum - that's what sparked this bust of activity here)

14. RocketmanX34

RocketmanX34 Guest

Hello to old friends from the 2000-2001 era, and new friends! Gee, time really does fly when you're Cruizin'. I was a regular here in that time and regret having faded into the galaxy. My Rocketmobile has over 100K and a multitude of repairs, which I won't regale you with now, but I saw a disturbing Washington Post article today that made me want to "come home" today and be with my old family and friends. For those that remember our GREAT friend susie, I'm praying to God this isn't her, but this was her last name and location, and name of her "older" husband. I'm hoping her age is off though, as I thought she was 50 back around 2001. If anyone has any details of susie's whereabouts, or just wants to chat, I'll try to be more regular. Here's the article: :(

VIRGINIA

Police identify couple

A man and a woman found fatally shot inside their Fairfax County home Monday were identified Tuesday by police as Richard C. Scott, 66, and Suzanne M. Scott, 52, but no other details about the case were released.

Police said a family member found the Scotts at their townhouse in the 8400 block of Springfield Oaks Drive about 1 p.m. Monday. Both appeared to have suffered gunshot wounds to the upper body, Officer Tawny Wright said, and a handgun was found nearby.

Fairfax homicide investigators were summoned to the home in the south Springfield area, north of Interstate 95 near Rolling Road. The detectives began investigating the case as a possible murder-suicide, though police declined to provide specifics.

Wright said the early investigation indicated that the shootings were "domestically related." Police had no details on who might have fired the weapon.

Although autopsies were performed on the Scotts on Tuesday, no official cause of death was released.

15. dana44

Ad-Free Member

'02 with 88,500miles, ported the head at 32,000 miles and have replaced front brake pads twice, rotors once, 28-29mpg on the highway at 85-90mph, but I think the wife took it in once for a computer flash for a miss she thought she could feel. Other than that, I am about ready to get a new battery in the next couple weeks, (she is a December '01 sell) and still on the original battery. Other than that, the wife walked into the house with the seat recliner handle in her hand one day, and the fog lights have the fuse plulled, but she doesn't rattle, can run gentle or performance with the 5spd, and overall a very impressive vehicle not to squeak after this length of time. Love mine to death.

For the AC working better and not better, mine is fine, but I did notice that if I have the switch that is for circulating air from outside (normal position I have it in), if switched to the inside position, AC works about 75percent better and faster.

16. neal

neal Member

OH WOW! heavens no, but that has to be them - every thing fits! :eek: :(

Hey Rocketman- good to see you...sorry to have such a tragic post bring me out of forum "retirement"! Bully (aka Rosy) and I still have Vinny - only about 70K and still going strong (although sucking the life blood out of his battery while sitting idle!

17. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

I'm still here. Am I the last "original" standing? Add front wheel bearings to the list at 107K miles. Mileage is still good at 27 mpg average.

18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I'm not a PT owner any more but I'm still here.

19. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Dave, I know your still here....I was refering to the orignal group of PT owners on here back in 01. I guess I'm the last one still cruzin'.

20. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I got mine in December '01 as an '02, which I gave it to my oldest daughter and only because I inherited Mom's '02 Limited with leather when she passed away.

Does this count?