AF: The Pacificas are here....... | Page 36 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Pacificas are here.......

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Apr 23, 2016.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

And paying higher prices is not in line with the general public's opinion of most FCA (and previous iterations of Chrysler) shoppers.
    So we've hit a brick wall. Sergio wants more margin (i.e.: higher prices or lower cost). The public won't pay the higher prices. He's now attempting to cut costs by "outsourcing" cars but it appears no one can make them cheaper enough to give the margins he wants.

Big question - if they do outsource cars to get a better profit margin, why stop there? Why not do the same with the trucks and Jeeps? Isn't the profit margin all it's about?

2. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

If outsourced cars have better margins and sell better, then it is time to close the place down because they cannot compete.

Any "make" vs "buy" decision that results in "buy" means you suck at that. In this case, it is automobile manufacturing.

3. Ian

Ian Car Freak

That's all fine but you need recognition in order to be able to sell your cars at a good margin without incentives. Work on the overall quality, show proof that your overall quality has improved and then you can sell with a good margin. This will not happen overnight and that's another reason why the Dart and 200 failed. Both are good products but management was all about money (which is fine) but you need years of product improvement before you can change customer's perception. If I wasn't a Dodge fan and was in the market for a minivan. Would I spend $35,000 on a Chrysler minivan that has a past record of touchy quality or spend the exact same amount on a Sienna that has a good reputation with excellent resale value.

Same goes for the 200 and Dart. Actually, Dart in Canada has a more expensive base price without A/C than the Corolla...

4. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

cough.. Renegade, Promaster.. cough
    ;)

Seriously though, the brightest examples of C in FCA are when the shackles are off and creativity gets going. Ram could have faded behind Ford and GM but instead they keep smashing the competition with better product. Hellcat gave Dodge a buzz that really hasn't been there since the LX debut. Look how the Wrangler Rubicons cemented Jeep as the literal king of the hill. Now the duds: Dart, a first attempt better suited for hitting a corporate ownership target than actual sales. 200, was a "copied" design (I still like it FWIW). Fiat has to answer for itself. Quality is better but not enough to sway the masses. Alfa..???? So all in all, will CDJR continue to beat the odds with innovation or will the corporate will/money run out first?

Prabhjot likes this.
  5. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Not examples of outsourced vehicles. They are made by FCA.

6. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Technically Promaster is "outsourced" due to the contract nature of the plant in Turkey.

7. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Correct, but I took a little liberty since they were not conceived from legacy Chrysler Corp.:)

8. Lorena

Lorena Active Member

? Easy way to I would try to print money: Dare... and don't.

Dare to

Put: Uconnect 12.1 standard to reduce cost for later use across the board. The spark has a touchscreen standard.... imagine how many wouldn't care about ANYTHING else if this simple screen was in every car.
    [​IMG]

In :

[​IMG]

Do : A Kia move : 2 trims.
    Do: Ensure the automatic is the focus in the US.
    Do: pick an engine that works and leave it there.

Don't : mess up the launch; make A/C a big middle finger to the cost sensitive by being not standard.
    Don't : Overprice it. Keep it cheap, and find a way it benefits the company or makes enough money.

Call it insane, but it all is there in the parts bin.

9. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Ian; I'd never spend big dollars on a van without stow & go, or without the ability to bring home a few sheets of plywood or sheetrock. As far as resale goes, that is time dependent. They all go down to zero. The only thing the sienema has going for it is AWD. ----- And the Pacifica better have it soon. I find it amazing how many of the younger families are scared of driving on snow. They actually think they are safer while driving an AWD vehicle. While they can go faster and more places, they cannot stop faster. Up here in the Northeast, after a snowstorm, it seems that many if not most of the rollovers on the interstates involve SUV's. Then again, there are loads of them on the roads.

Powdered Toast Man and Ian like this.
  10. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Our Promaster is assembled in Saltillo. PMcity is made in Turkey.

11. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

We got around just fine with RWD cars back in the day. Well, maybe not "fine", but we did get around. We also knew when NOT to go out. Lived in upstate NY at the time. Winters could be brutal. Back then AWD was non existent and 4x4's (usually pickup trucks) were very rare.

12. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I wouldn't care much for AWD if it was not for the road going to my campsite. It's an old logging road and can be a little sketchy at times and I need a 4x4 or AWD and towing the travel trailer on that road. I had a FWD Taurus X before and that thing was completely useless. If I was just driving on paved roads, summer OR winter, i'd be fine in a FWD vehicle. If my lifestyle would change, would I go with just a FWD vehicle, absolutely. My daily driver is an Avenger.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  13. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

The perception that part time AWD is a magical system that allows one to drive on any surface with the same speed and handling is something that many brands have been hammering into consumers for a while now. An uneducated consumer thinks 4wd and AWD are the same thing, hell, I've had customers want to put a Wrangler into 4wd on dry pavement during the test drive.

Nails it on the head. So many consumers are being lured to believing an AWD system is the be-all end-all with regards to all-season driving. Stopping is where all traction/safety is truly the most important.

What's odd is that when given the objection "Well the F-150 can tow more than the Ram 1500" all I have to say is, "if your 6500 lbs truck has 11,000 lbs behind it on an incline, what's stopping what, regardless of trailer brakes, etc?" The client always agrees.

14. desavona

desavona Active Member

AWD is better in the winter. Period. Obviously braking is unaffected, but traction is still much improved through AWD/4WD. Any vehicle can get around in the winter regardless of driveline, but to argue that AWD isn't an improvement is nonsensical.

Also, I've engaged 4WD on every vehicle equipped as such on the test drive. I want to know when the button/knob/lever is, how it feels engaging, and what sort of lights/notifications to look for when it is engaged. Driving a mile on dry pavement will not hurt.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  15. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

^^^^^ This!!!

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  16. BobbiBigWheels

I did not argue that it is an improvement. My argument is that consumers have come to believe it allows them to drive on snow/dirt/gravel/ice like they do on dry pavement - source: the idiots driving X-Drives, etc in BC.

Feel free to drive your vehicle on dry pavement with 4wd Locked. Not mine.

17. Ian

Ian Car Freak

If I had to choose between a FWD/RWD VS AWD in winter driving, I would take the AWD without hesitation.

GasAxe, MPE426HEMI and UN4GTBL like this.
  18. desavona

desavona Active Member

Bobbi if you were my salesperson and would not let me put it in 4hi for a mile you wouldn't be selling me any vehicle. I didn't say road trip it in 4hi. I will test out any and all systems I choose to on a new vehicle before purchase.

19. BobbiBigWheels

You're taking this way too far. I've taken customers up logging trails in Jeeps to try out the 4WD. I don't expect anyone to purchase a vehicle that they haven't even tried a primary feature such as 4WD. Having a customer hop a vehicle in a parking lot in 4WD is something they try to do, and is not something that should happen. Want to buy a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, and you're going up trails? No problem, let's go to the closest trail and try it out.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  20. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Totally agree. If you got hills and piles of snow on the road and a municipality that clears snow about as good as a horse and plow, then AWD matters. Not to mention slush on top of water and ice. I don't need 4Lo or any mountain climbing gears because I usually stay on the pavement. So, AWD is my answer. If that was not available, then FWD is my old stand by. RWD I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. I'd have to be getting quite a deal on it to be buying it. I mean this as an A to B driven/daily commute vehicle. Like I said before, If I lived in a part of the world where I didn't have to deal with Winter, RWD I could live with. And, yes, I know that's all people had to use years ago, in Winter and so forth, but it's not years ago anymore and I don't want it and I don't have to buy it.
    But, yes, back to the topic. I hope they get that AWD Pacifica out soon. I've got a good feeling it will be way out of my budget, but for the people who can afford it, it will be nice.

#720 MPE426HEMI, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    Ian and desavona like this.