Allpar Forums banner

The Pacificas are here.......

129K views 818 replies 132 participants last post by  Uni444 
#1 ·
I didn't get a chance to drive it I was too busy selling cars and Jeeps today. I will try to drive it on Monday. The Pacifica we got was a pre-spec pretty base Touring edition. No real up grades except the 8.4 Uconnect. I wasn't impressed with this basic model. No roof rails or fog lights makes it look like a rental special. My other pet peeve is that is lacking the leather wrapped steering wheel....I mean really??? 32k and its not standard........ It is also missing the center arm rest. It did come with stow and go seats and back up camera and Bluetooth. Interior is definitely a nice step up from the last gen. I don't understand why they have decided to give up on the faux wood trim....All of the other vans still offer it and I know that my customers still expect it.....Time will tell if their pretty colored plastics will be enough.

In its basic form it really looks like a "minivan" actually it looks like a Honda minivan. Not sure if I agree with the name change yet. I did have a chance to get a couple quick pics in between selling cars today.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, without fogs, the do look "cheap" outside.

I was surprised how far up the model levels you have to go to get a leather steering wheel.

The new 3.6

#7 ·
You know the wood trim was just pretty colored plastic, also?

If there is a big push back, they can add Pretty colored plastic with a faux wood pattern back... my guess is there trying to move as far from the T&C as possible and give a more sporting image.

#8 · (Edited)
It isn't just the fogs that are missing, but the whole under-bumper bright work and fluidity of shapes that Chrysler had been touting and which, admittedly, made Pacifica look so interesting.

This is Chrysler's chance: people are going to be noticing the new Pacifica now when it first hits the streets.

But as usual, the details that count get lost in the final execution.

#19 ·
It isn't just the fogs that are missing, but the whole under-bumper bright work and fluidity of shapes that Chrysler had been touting and which, admittedly, made Pacifica look so interesting.

This is Chrysler's chance: people are going to be noticing the new Pacifica now when it first hits the streets.

But as usual, the details that count get lost in the final execution.
Yeah let's compare professional, staged press photos to photos taken by a camera phone of a vehicle with the protective covering still on the tires.

#9 · (Edited)
In my opinion, it's just a case of a lower trim level being the first vehicle to arrive at the dealership. I won't assume or judge anything about FCA's execution of the Pacifica just yet, and not based on these pictures. I do get the point about the importance of curb appeal though. But as a Durango Citadel owner, I know the exterior appearance differentiation is one of the ways they were anle to get me to buy that instead of an STX or Limited! :D

#12 ·
The minivan segment is hungry for some style. Chrysler whets everyone's appetite with a stunning Pacifica, but then it starts shipping this. It is disappointing at the very least.

FCA, and Chrysler in particular, cannot afford a repeat of the 200 with this vehicle.

#13 ·
Appearance is subjective.

Reactions: ehaase
#15 ·
thats not entirely true

cindy crawford is universally beautiful for example. No one will tout her as being ugly

Clint Howard, Not so much.

when it comes to something like looks, subjectivity plays a very minor role in it these days. Im not sure you would find more than 1% of people who say Clint is good looking. The opposite is true with Cindy crawdord; you may find 1% or less who find her to (Not) be beautiful looking.

#25 ·
I agree 100%

$32,540 to be exact..... I am sorry but at 32k it should not look "basic" I understand that it shouldn't look like the LTD ot Platinum. But for GOD sake it shouldn't look or feel cheap!! The roof rails, fog lights and leather wrapped steering wheel should be STANDARD on anything called touring. If this was a 27k Pacifica LX or simply Pacifica I could understand.
Yeah let's compare professional, staged press photos to photos taken by a camera phone of a vehicle with the protective covering still on the tires.

Look at the difference between a 2013-16 Touring T&C and this Touring Pacifica

I don't know why I am surprised its the same nonsense they did with calling the cloth {touring} 200 a Ltd. The problem you will have is the previous LOYAL Chrysler customers who have been buying Chrysler for the last 20+years have certain expectations when we use the names "touring" and "Limited" .

#22 ·
If Grand Caravan ends, then Chrysler must offer lower-end versions to cover the market.

Time to give up on the dreams of Chrysler being affordable luxury, upscale or any other adjective you wish to fantasize about.

Chrysler=Toyota=Chevrolet=Hyundai

#24 ·
I think the LX and Touring models look just fine for their intended function - affordable, practical family hauling. The interior is where it counts and the two lower models actually have a decent set of features for the price. The exterior styling is still miles ahead of the T&C so we really have no right to complain.

#50 ·
Sorry, but that's precisely the mindset that got the minivan segment in the sad state in which it is today.

The problem with minivans is that they are packaged well too efficiently for their own good. If automakers don't go out of their way to sassy them up, in the end all you get is the wrapper of a loaf of bread, and that's precisely where buyers lose interest and move on to a much more expensive, much less efficient 3-row SUV.

#38 ·
And Ford Econoline vans. And Chevy Colorado trucks. And Silverado trucks. And Express vans.

For a $32000 van, that Pacifica could do with a bit of chrome trim around the lower grille - not sure why they went with a different fascia than on other models (other than cost.)

It does look odd, but only because this is the first we've really seen of a lower-end trim model - these were not on display in Detroit and Chicago.

#45 ·
This is our first of two "pre-spec" vans. The pre-specs are not ordered by the dealer but cars given to us at the beginning of a launch.
I havent asked but from what I gather, many didnt even want the Vans but were forced to receive a few for stock. These were coming directly from the franchise owners mouth.

I doubt however that they were forced into lower trim models. I think that choice is theirs and theirs a lone.
Dealers do have the option to pass on the pre-specs....however that could come at a cost down the line in the form diminished allocation.... Since it was only a few most dealers would be crazy to pass on their first pre-specs.

#54 ·
I would never expect fog lights on a base model and I do like that FCA is not putting plastic wheel covers on the base model, BUT the lack of a leather wrapped wheel on a $32 car is just smacks of wretched bean counting. One touches the steering wheel more than any other part of a car that that part should feel really nice on a car costing that much, period. On a family mini van one does not really need leather seats etc but a tiny bit of luxury feel like a leather wrapped wheel is a touch that shows sweating the details. Then the FCA marketing wonks bragging about the on board vac that is only avail on a $40K+ model makes me rather ill. Most people spending $40K on a car can afford to have it washed and cleaned by a carwash. Offering the vac on the lower models (like Honda) would show a respect for the "family" oriented customer instead of pandering to the luxury customer. So the Chrysler brand has to cover the lower end of the market now? (really stoopid IMO) OK, fine, but at least let people get some of the new and interesting features being bragged about on lesser models.

I think the Pacifica is a really nice van and an outstanding effort that will be let down by the usual terrible marketing and option level FCA decisions. How much does anyone want to bet that FCA will keep producing the Caravan and T&C long after they need to be? Ramp up the Pacifica production and kill the older vans ASAP. Yes, sales will take a hit, but that will increase the demand and value for the Pacifica. FCA is still addicted to sales volume. Forget banging out tons of product with low quality and slow the lines, build a quality product with decent re sale value and start building a base of loyal customers.

#57 ·
I would never expect fog lights on a base model and I do like that FCA is not putting plastic wheel covers on the base model, BUT the lack of a leather wrapped wheel on a $32 car is just smacks of wretched bean counting. One touches the steering wheel more than any other part of a car that that part should feel really nice on a car costing that much, period. On a family mini van one does not really need leather seats etc but a tiny bit of luxury feel like a leather wrapped wheel is a touch that shows sweating the details. Then the FCA marketing wonks bragging about the on board vac that is only avail on a $40K+ model makes me rather ill. Most people spending $40K on a car can afford to have it washed and cleaned by a carwash. Offering the vac on the lower models (like Honda) would show a respect for the "family" oriented customer instead of pandering to the luxury customer. So the Chrysler brand has to cover the lower end of the market now? (really stoopid IMO) OK, fine, but at least let people get some of the new and interesting features being bragged about on lesser models.

I think the Pacifica is a really nice van and an outstanding effort that will be let down by the usual terrible marketing and option level FCA decisions. How much does anyone want to bet that FCA will keep producing the Caravan and T&C long after they need to be? Ramp up the Pacifica production and kill the older vans ASAP. Yes, sales will take a hit, but that will increase the demand and value for the Pacifica. FCA is still addicted to sales volume. Forget banging out tons of product with low quality and slow the lines, build a quality product with decent re sale value and start building a base of loyal customers.
I wish like on Facebook there was a love button. 100% spot on.

#55 ·
Saw a LX model at my local dealer. Not bad at all, I'm just not sure people are going to buy the LX over a base Honda or Toyota that is priced the same. I know a lot of people who bought Dodge and Chrysler vans simply because they were so significantly cheaper then a Honda or Toyota. The LX is a nice looking van from what I saw though.

#56 ·
Yeah, they started showing up at dealerships here about two weeks ago in Metro Detroit. The base models don't really appeal to me, for the price point. I rather have a fully loaded Dodge Grand Caravan R/T for the $29k starting point. However, the upper trim Pacificas with the chrome trim and projector headlights are downright sexy. The outdate the Town & Country and Grand Caravan big time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.