Allpar Forums banner

The Ram split-tailgate is real

22K views 130 replies 47 participants last post by  hotmach 
#1 · (Edited)
Here’s a Ram 1500 caught by KGP Photography, testing out the split tailgate system Allpar reported on quite a while back.

KGP wrote, “A few years ago, Allpar.com discovered Chrysler/Dodge/Ram patents for a multifunctional tailgate design that is split down the middle, allowing the tailgate halves to open horizontally (barn-door style), while also enabling it to fold downward in a single piece—like a traditional pickup’s tailgate. Combining all of the possible maneuvers, the new Ram tailgate would allow for eight different configuration combinations, for maximum flexibility.”

If you want a better idea of what it looks like in use, check out the patent drawings…

Update: it appears that there is some sheet metal that overlaps the center gap, so the photographed tailgate could be a 50/50 split. See the full 2019 Ram 1500 page.

Read the whole post here.

See less See more
#4 ·
So they didn't go with the split in the middle ... too complicated? Needed 2 release latches? I was hoping for 2 release to open the doors individually. ;)

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks
#13 ·
From the looks of the drawing, as mentioned, it looks like the sheet metal is overlapped, somewhat past the handle portion. If that's the way I'm seeing it, then it would have to be closed in order, like the rear doors on some full sized vans, one before the other. The photo is definitely not split in the middle, however. The drawings look more centered.
But then, look at where the rear handle is on the drawing. Offset to the left of the split. I don't see how it can be equally split, with a handle there. Having an offset handle, I think, would look worse than an offset split. JMO.

#15 ·
I am surprised the release handle isn't in the top of the tailgate, or with the power tailgate option, isn't just released by a button on the fob or by the hood release or door locks/window controls.

Great idea...Hopefully that isn't the finished product...which I think is the deal with all of the info on the new Ram.

#19 · (Edited)
Another thought might be, that this is just a variant of it. As in there are more options to the tailgate than just the split-gate. It could be steps or something in that configuration, or that there is two options for size on the split gate. half or 2/3rds. There's a lot of possibilities.

Also, that's either a smaller class receiver hitch or the truck just makes it look small. lol

#20 ·
Perhaps just hiding any mechanism, but I wonder if the flaps at the lower edges of the tailgate might just be hiding built in ramps that would actually work since the tailgate can swing to each side rather than just down forcing ramps to be removed and placed on the gate after lowered... I mean I might know something, then again I might not. :rolleyes:

#32 ·
Kind of reminds me of the Ram Box. Some people love it. But others wouldn't use it or like it.
I'm guessing it's going to be an option. Get it if you want, pass on it if you don't.
Although Rebel keeps winking at me, I have never owned a pickup before. With that said, I think the Ram box is a neat idea, but I wouldn’t order them for the simple reason that they are very pricey, and they break the aesthetic lines of the truck.

#34 ·
I'm not sure about this. The picture isn't impressive for sure, but I don't believe we are seeing the actual product. The sheet metal looks like a false cover over the actual tailgate, at least that's what I'm hoping. I hope it would have a more centered opening and possibly an opening arc of more than 90 degrees.

#37 · (Edited)
I see what you're looking at, but no, they're folds in the metal. Here's a higher-res version (sorry Dave) :
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/storyimage/ca/20171115/OEM04/171119829/AR/0/AR-171119829.jpg
.. and if you look into the darker parts, it does seem to be a legit split, not a camo'd "cover" for a split in the gate. Maybe they did a survey/study that had a few different options and people thought the 2/3rds version functioned better than the half? Or it could be specific tailgate to a particular package, like Outdoorsman, etc.

On another note, in higher-res, it looks that there are indeed ramps (or something) under those small tarps they tacked on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.