Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The return of the inline 6

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by Fast Eddie, Oct 24, 2017.

1. quadamage76

quadamage76 Active Member

the old 2.6l Alfa Romeo was an in-line 6 and it has been replaced by the Busso v6 just for torsion problem at the crank, from what I understood. It's also true that now, particularly if multiair, engines are revving lower. If this is true and reduces the problem of power losses linked to crank torsion, I can see an opportunity also for in-line 5.

2. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Fiat did that in the past, modular engine family with Inline 4 and Inline 5 engines. Inline 5 with ~2.5 liter capacity is the biggest engine in this modular world which can be put transversely in FWD cars and contrary to V6 with it they can keep short snout.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  3. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

For me, the appeal of the Inline-5 lies in that it is the fewest number of cylinders in which there are overlapping power strokes in the engine, producing a smoother running engine than a typical 4-banger of the same displacement.

Can't you guys just imagine a 2.5 Litre electrically twin-turbocharged Inline 5 powering ....(Insert vehicle of your choice HERE)?

4. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

I own a 2007 MK 5 Jetta with an inline 5, 2.5 liter. It's relatively bulletproof. Has 180,000 mi. on it. Great acceleration, still.

5. quadamage76

quadamage76 Active Member

I owned a kappa 2.4 td... a distaster... this said, the 2.4mjet wasn't bad, except for weight.

6. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

And of course: Chevy did essentially that same thing with the old 283, 230 and 153(?) over 50 years ago; a LOT of parts interchanged between the V8, the Six and the Four.

7. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The first generation Sprinters were the OM647 in-line M-B turbo-diesel DOHC 20-valve 5 cylinder of 2.7L. A small displacement powerplant moved a large loaded van with surprising torque.
    OM647 - Sprinter-Wiki (at https://sprinter-source.com/wiki/index.php/OM647 )
    Chrysler Australia had the Hemi straight-6 that we never saw here in the U.S.:
    Chrysler Hemi-6 Engine - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi-6_Engine )
    Fiat had a nearly 22 liter inline 6 used in aircraft. This was also used in Fiat's own Demon, the Mephistopheles.
    Fiat A.12 - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_A.12 )
    Fiat Mephistopheles - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Mephistopheles )
    Engineers and mathematicians did like the 'inherently balanced' design. With a rigid block, they can be fairly vibrationless engines.

8. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

Everything in engineering is a trade-off. FCA apparently thinks the advantages of going inline outweigh the disadvantages. We'll just have to wait and see how it all comes together.

ScramFan likes this.
  9. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Now for weird: the inline Five actually has a pleasant exhaust note to my ears.

10. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Personally, I can’t wait for the I-6 to make a come back.

Some of the most memorable vehicles I drove or owned had an in-line six in it: my parents’ 1968 Dodge Coronet and 1980 Dodge Diplomat, and my 1995 and 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokees. Those were buttery smooth, torquey engines.

Erik Latranyi and ImperialCrown like this.
  11. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Not in North America. Here inline-5 engines are associated with failure, from Audis that didn’t stop, to Acura Vigors that didn’t sell —marking the start of the decline for Acura, to first-generation Chevrolet Colorados that had its production discontinued.

Bearhawke and quadamage76 like this.
  12. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

The later version of the colorado 5 cyl fixed the gasket problem. They are generaly pretty durable engines.

13. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

GM did have the flexible Atlas engine family which you mentioned earlier. It seemed of modern design with variable cam timing, etc.
    General Motors Atlas engine - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Atlas_engine )
    A family of in-lines for longitudinal and transverse applications borrowing from the Firefly (Global Small Engine) technology with turbocharging, direct injection and hybrid electric-assist could carry this engine for many years.
    Firefly (GSE): Little Four Cylinder Engines for FCA (at https://www.allpar.com/mopar/fours/GSE.html )

14. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

The 4.2L I-6 from GM was a pretty peppy engine with 275 horsepower and 275 lb. ft of torque.

The old AMC/Chrysler 4.0L I-6 were pretty much unstoppable.

ScramFan likes this.
  15. T_690

T_690 Active Member

GME is the one important for US.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  16. T_690

T_690 Active Member

I don't get why is GM enine relevant for this topic or very often mention Australian Ford Inline 6 engine.

FCA engine will be more similar to something which is BMW offering. Or what what Mercedes started to offer. Or what will JLR offer.
    It will be more similar to them both in technology and size.
    AFAIK American brands never offered something similar.

17. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes, the latest of the Ford Australia "Barra" inline-6 were just amazing... GME T6 will be an amazing engine too.

wtxiceman likes this.
  18. T_690

T_690 Active Member

I still don't get why are you mentioning huge outdated engine as Ford Barra when you are trying to describe GME T6.

Is it so hard to compare to European products?

19. Goodcat

Goodcat Member

Hi
    All of this talk about the return of the in line 6 ....one thing I could never fathom was the abandonment of the Slant six! The engine was a masterpiece and probably the most reliable engine that ever was. Here we had the toughest engine ever made that responded very well to performance upgrades and then it was gone! The Slant should have been given fuel injection and left in the trucks and Jeeps ....I'm not saying that the old 4.0 six was not a good engine (remnants of the old AMC 258) but I personally feel that the Slant would have been a better choice. So here we are talking in line six again and nobody has even given the Slant a moments consideration ..... is there something that my old school Chrysler oriented Brain is missing here??

20. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I think tribute was paid to it earlier on this thread.
    What is outdated and irrelevant on the slant-six, IMO, is that the head was not a cross-flow (intake and exhaust were on the same side), which hurts efficiency and probably emissions. It was a pushrod design, which required more mass in motion, therefore more losses in efficiency. A new inline six would avoid either of these issues, just as a start.

wtxiceman likes this.