AF: The Rise and Reinvention of Chrysler Minivans | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Rise and Reinvention of Chrysler Minivans

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

This is the new “minivan book,” with added content. It's on sale now at Amazon, for $24.99, and at B&N, for (I think) $22.99. There are ebooks, too, on Apple Books, Amazon, B&N, etc.

I am planning a private buy. The more people involved, the more I can get the price down. I think I can at least hit $20 and might be able to go lower. Basically I'd be buying the B&N version in quantity and shipping out manually. Payment would be via PayPal or, if I know you and you really want to, by check. I'll know the final price based on the number of “hands up” before I ask anyone to pay.

The book has a set of original sketches from Chrysler designer Dennis Kline, from 1974, and his own stories about how the idea was developed within Design. It now stretches through every generation, including the Pacifica, and has more background on the 1996 redesign. There are far fewer press photos but more photos from actual owners. This is most likely my final minivan book, as I move on from books about specific cars (the Viper and Jeep book are due later this year).

PM or reply here if you're interested.

[​IMG]

2. mrkovash

mrkovash Active Member

Wow Dave Z the author. Good work

Ruptured Duck likes this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

4. MSwenning

MSwenning Active Member

I know I will take 2 for sure!

Dave Z likes this.
  5. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

Like to see a Ram book.

From almost being canned to 730k North America sales.

Love my Ram(s).

2nd generation caught my attention.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

That's the truth! It's a thought. I don't really have the contacts for that.

superduckie5000 likes this.
  7. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

Congrats! :D Really happy for you. I am considering to buy this to support you. I would like to see what's inside.

Dave Z likes this.
  8. mrkovash

mrkovash Active Member

9. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Dave, congrats. When a family travels, there's nothing more versatile then a minivan. Maybe it's time to go after car based CUVs in advertising, as to their superior versatility.

tlc, page2171 and Dave Z like this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Hard to say. It sold at a pretty premium price back in 1984, and still does now. The size has grown quite a bit, mainly in length and width, but so have typical garages. But not nearly as bad as the CJ-to-Wrangler move; sales grew every time they made it longer and taller so it's a lot longer and taller. The market for the Wrangler is very different from the original market for the CJ, as well. The market for the minivan is different but not as different.

The original was targeted at people wanting better mileage and comfort than they were getting from B-vans and big wagons (which no longer exist, replaced by SUVs and crossovers), and people wanting more space than they could get without moving to an expensive, thirsty wagon, B-van, or (still-rare) SUV (like the Wagoneer). That's changed a bit. Most people don't care about gas mileage and in any case if that's all you want, you can get a Toyota Highlander. There are lots of decent economical vehicles for people who just want something big, and even the equivalent of the B-Van is quite easy to drive and doesn't have some of hte B-van's issues (like having the engine in the cab with you). That said, they remain a good alternative to the big SUVs - more economical if not easier to drive. Cheaper, better mileage than a Suburban, far more space than a Durango.

I should really have this all in the book somewhere :)

saltydog and Adventurer55 like this.
  11. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Kind of a shame that FCA is giving up the sales lead by dropping the Caravan. Chrysler created the market now giving it away.

12. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

The Jeep’s things are always interesting to me.

I remember one time where Bob “TheMan” talked about jeep’s suspension systems in many SUVs, such as ZJ, WJ, WK - and whats go wrong and rights from engineering & construction prospective.

So, just out of curiosity, will you cover such information in your book?

And one more thing, I recalled Bob mentioned VCI score which is a verification test for any SUV. Although he wasn’t say any score specifically, but it will be super interesting, if you unveil some of these tests scores.

Maybe the “trail rated” system needs a dedicated book :).

Zagnut27 likes this.
  13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Can you purchase author copies from your publisher, Amazon or B&N? We published our first children’s book with Create Space (now Kindle Direct Publishing) and we can purchase author copies for a greatly reduced amount. We bought some that way to sell to people we know, and to give to our illustrator for events that she goes to. If you can, you wouldn’t be shelling out as much money upfront yourself before selling them to us. :) Just a thought.

Not much of a minivan guy, but I am greatly interested in your upcoming Jeep book. I’ll pick up a copy for myself and one for my brother, another Jeep nut.

Congrats! :)

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

No... it's not that deep.

HEMI345 likes this.
  15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

That's exactly how it works - and thanks. Buying through B&N, a lot cheaper than Amazon.

wtxiceman and Zagnut27 like this.
  16. CudaPete

Level 2 Supporter

Or you can come to the North Jersey Auto Show and meet the Author! :D

Dave Z likes this.
  17. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Today's "Minivans" just don't seem very "mini". To me, they look just about as large as the B vans we remember from the 1970's.

This phenomenon seems to happen all the time. The 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang started out as a cute, small sporty car. Then...with every generation following, the Mustang gets progressively bigger and uglier, until you end up with something that's almost unrecognizable.

Thanks, Doctor. I feel so much better now. This talk therapy along with the meds are really helping!:D

Citation84, AvengerGuy and Dave Z like this.
  18. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

You may get your 1993 size van back with the Citroën Jumpy. Mopar version of course.

Citation84 likes this.
  19. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

I had the 86, was just right, every update went downhill. The V6 was a nice lmprovement but the 4 did just fine.

20. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

@Dave Z Is this replacing the old minivan book, is it an updated expanded version of the old book, or is this a part II to the original book?