AF: The US Pickup Truck Market | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The US Pickup Truck Market

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by valiant67, Feb 20, 2020.

1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

The Honda of old would work extremely hard to give consumers quality and efficiency in an attractive styled package.

IMO the Honda of today has become rather complacent. These days the main focus of Honda engineers is manufacturing expediency and production efficiency, fuel efficiency and reliability. Attractive styling doesn’t factor until much later.

Although extremely efficient, as an enthusiast Honda’s tradition of basing its entire vehicle lineup on two platforms and two motors bores me.

#41 aldo90731, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    TheViking, danbek and Dave Z like this.
  2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I'm not entirely sure there's that much reliability at Honda, either. They are pretty low in the rankings.

Toyota rebuilt itself after a major scare. Honda hasn't really had the scare yet.

danbek, tlc and aldo90731 like this.
  3. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

It’d be nice to see what the quality issues are that caused Honda to drop in rankings. I personally had a great experience with my two, but I cannot speak for the newer models. Regardless, Dodge and Honda are my first stops when looking to buy. Whichever has the vehicle i want/desire gets the sale.

BASONE88 and Chris mopar like this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Honda could use a new design language. I think part of the appeal of the original Pilot was that it had styling similar to body-on-frame SUVs like the Tahoe and Expedition, but with a more comfortable ride and a cheaper price among other things. Now, the Pilot looks like a minivan or a last-gen Traverse and the Palisade and Telluride are left to fill in the boxy, "body-on-frame alternative" gap in the full-size crossover market.

aldo90731 and page2171 like this.
  5. aldo90731

Indeed.

Honda is the last independent automaker left in that size in which a larger competitor hasn’t taken a financial stake.

I think the fear of a “take over” had the last few Honda CEOs impart a siege mentality onto the organization, by which economies of scale and production efficiencies have counted more than anything else.

Dave Z likes this.
  6. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

The armrests in the Pilot and Passport are very mini van like. It is easy to tell that the roots of these 2 vehicles are from the Odyssey.

7. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

The prices people are asking for a 2nd gen Dakota down here are insane.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  8. cdjr77

cdjr77 Well-Known Member

9. cdjr77

cdjr77 Well-Known Member

I live in an area of 1 acre parcels, within a half mile of my home there are 4 older Ford Rangers and 2 second generation Dakota's. I think we need something midsize that looks a pickup not a lifestile pickup.

10. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

A Caravan can carry 1800 pounds..thats more then some full size trucks.

11. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I've seen some over priced ones, but I've found a lot of nice, reasonably priced ones as well. It really seems to vary a lot by region (even in the south).
    Ideally would be a quad cab 5.9 in the second gen as the early 4.7 isn't my favorite power-wise.
    Or a 2008+ quad with the upgraded 4.7.

saltydog likes this.
  12. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Speaking of Toyota, I'm puzzled why they haven't marketed a hybrid pickup truck yet. They do have a rear drive based hybrid system, that was (is?) used in some Lexus models. I understand development costs aren't cheap, but the market for pickup trucks is a lot stronger than for sports sedans. Tailoring their system for truck duty might be a laudable goal.

13. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Yet, their size, reputation, and market focus, keep them buoyed in fairly unstable waters.

They've held their own fairly steadily over a long arc of time.

Perhaps their Motorcycles, and their interest in pursuing 'Droids is just enough for them.

In spite of a few ruffled feathers over the years they're not spinning out of control.

That's laudable. Not Incredible; but they're still upright.

BASONE88 likes this.
  14. aldo90731

It’s coming...

15. aldo90731

Honda’s had lots of issues with the 9-speed automatic, their infotainment systems, and Takara airbags.

Anecdotally, I know of friends who had issues with the AWD and the AC on their Hondas surprisingly early on —less than 95,000 miles. They both had the uncharacteristic experience of the Honda dealer presenting them thousands of dollars in repairs; they both dumped their Honda and got something else.

Goes to show how fragile brand loyalty can be when quality is not there.

77 Monaco Brougham and jclick like this.
  16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Quality and apparently dealer experience as well. They do seem to go hand in hand.

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

You mean, like Eaton before he was so terrified he flew into the waiting arms of Daimler?

Tony K, cdjr77 and aldo90731 like this.
  18. aldo90731

Neither of Honda executives hired from the outside, Accavitti nor Arcangeli, lasted very long.

Unlike Chrysler, Honda won’t let newhires get near the top post.

gforce2002 and Dave Z like this.
  19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

That was a strange decision. I know Iacocca wanted to get into Europe, but a cursory look at Eaton shows he probably wasn't GM's key to the market.

20. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Gladiator is being built in n a plant that had over 200,000 unit annual production capacity. The sales/production of Gladiator will not be able to fill that plant to capacity.

FCA/PSA are all about plant efficiency.

1) Ehat are the current plans to fill that plant to capacity? Increase Gladiator sales? Produce a new model there?

2) How would they increase Gladiator sales?

3) What new model(s) would be produced there? A Gladiator based three row SUV would seem to be a natural. That would be a gut punch to Rover et al.