AF: The US Pickup Truck Market | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The US Pickup Truck Market

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by valiant67, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

If that is what floats your boat, by all means get the 3500. I get what your are saying, but it's not for you or I to judge what somebody wants or needs to purchase.

It's a bit out of the realm to purchase a 3500 if one truly only needs the capability of a mid-size truck. Not so much to get a 1500 over a mid-size.

It seems that according to you, we should only buy what we need. Well, that isn't always the case. Some purchases are based on wants which could be totally irrational from a common sense point of view.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

After all, who NEEDS a Hellcat or Demon? Most speed limits are 65 or so, so who NEEDS anything that can go faster than that?

Tony K, page2171, Doug D and 2 others like this.
  3. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Totally agree.

I owned my share of SRTs, 6.4 HEMIs and 500 HP. After awhile it becomes frustrating not being able to enjoy the car because each time you try, you get nailed.

That’s why I love my Fiat Spider. It is so lightweight and so close to the road that it feels —and sounds— like I am going at twice the speed limit when, in fact, there’s an old lady behind me trying to pass in her Subaru Forester...:D

BASONE88, page2171, Chase300 and 5 others like this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yup, my A3 is like that too. It’s pretty quick, but the LEO’s don’t give me a second glance. My Mustang would get more unwanted attention, and it is just the V6.

page2171 and aldo90731 like this.
  5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I sure as heck don't NEED a HellCat, but the enthusiast inside me would love to have one! :)

page2171, tlc and Zagnut27 like this.
  6. aldo90731

I fail to see how dropping a Hellcat motor furthers Ram’s business.

Reminds me when Dodge offered a Ram SRT10 with a Viper V10 in it: that thing did squat for the business.

7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Oh, heck yes!! Man, you only live once and that’s not something I’d say no to! :)

tlc likes this.
  8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

It’ll probably be too expensive for a lot of buyers, so while it’s cool to see and talk about, it’s not really within reach for many.

aldo90731 likes this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Allows them to introduce a Ram 1500 Rebel TR later that will benefit from the buzz generated by the TRX, but with a boosted inline-6 engine and a much cheaper price.

10. aldo90731

Consumers judge the merits of the products based on what is available to them at a given moment, both in relation to their needs, and in how those products may help them migrate from one vehicle segment to another. E.g., I own a Civic and am having a baby -> I need a CR-V.

Consumers have very limited ability to make “connections” to vehicles that don’t exist. Besides, any such “connection” would rely on information privy mostly to those inside FCA. So to expect consumers to connect Hellcat Ram to anything coming later is a stretch. Let alone a product so far out to one corner of the market.

#70 aldo90731, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Bajanbuoy likes this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I wouldn't expect them to make the connection until after the TR comes to market, when it looks like the cool truck they saw a while back but is actually closer to their price range.

That's IF they even produce a TR though.

aldo90731 likes this.
  12. aldo90731

I just wish FCA would spend more time and effort increasing the (1) quality, (2) efficiency and (3) value of its mainstream offerings, instead of wasting precious time and resources on one-offs with very little impact on the bottom line. FCA has tons of room to improve on those three areas.

I know this sounds boring, but that’s how FCA will improve its long-term chances of survival.

somber, voiceofstl, Tony K and 2 others like this.
  13. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Yeah, with a 5.7L V8 and Etorque... As well as an at least a $10K price differential... That's Apples to Elevators man. And you still have to account for the size difference.

My point remains... Those who are looking for a "lifestyle" truck are not embarrassed by a "wimpy" truck if it can tow and haul just under what an entry-level full size pick-up can... They are embarrassed by it's wimpy looks and ungainly proportions.

14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Great, gaudy moves are good for winning individual battles. It’s the day to day attention to little details, and a consistent effort over time that wins a war. One need look no further than the attack on Pearl Harbor to see that.

sickboy, Tony K and aldo90731 like this.
  15. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

I have a couple of suggestions for them.
    The Africa concept in both enclosed cargo area and mini bed versions.

16. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I'm shocked no one has made an actual midsize alternative to a full-size truck. I'm not talking about one that offers less content plus the smaller size, but one that has the same luxury content as a full-size truck, but with more efficient engines and a smaller size.

A Ram Dakota Longhorn or Limited would be a great option for someone who wants a Ram 1500 but can't quite deal with the huge size.

Zagnut27, brewdad, tlc and 6 others like this.
  17. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in something like that. Second generation Dakota would be a good starting point for the looks.

Adventurer55 and Ryan like this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Agreed - as long as it has the genuine leather, metal, and wood accents, heated/ventilated seats, 12” screen, full suite of safety features, etc.

GMC Canyon Denali probably comes closest to being a midsize “luxury” truck, but GM won’t even add push button start or passive entry to it, much less any kind of advanced safety features or nice materials.

valiant67 likes this.
  19. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Yes, an evolution of the second generation Dakota. They could have a lot of wiggle room on content here. A middle of the road trim level and a capable driveline would be a good start.

cdjr77 likes this.
  20. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I must be getting old..your talking about 10 grand in luxury costs.
    I think a mid size should have 48 inches between wheel wells , have a good size bed and a good payload and towing AND sit as low to the ground as the 1999-2004 Dakato.