AF: The US Pickup Truck Market | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The US Pickup Truck Market

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by valiant67, Feb 20, 2020.

1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

The reason no one has done it is because no one has figured out how to make a midsize pickup that is significantly more efficient than a full-size one. By the time automakers are done, the fuel economy of midsize V6 pickups ends up being only 2 MPG better than that of full-size pickups with a V8.

Bearhawke, saltydog and page2171 like this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Ford Ranger Lariat might be a better example. Standard LED lights, push button start, auto high beams, heated seats (not sure about steering wheel), optional rain sense wipers and adaptive cruise.

I think Lariat may out luxury Denali in the small trucks, but neither the Ranger or the Canyon are anywhere near the level the big trucks are from the same manufacturer.

aldo90731, Ryan and page2171 like this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

If you want 48" between the wheel wells, buy a full size truck. Otherwise all you end up with is a shorter truck that's still too wide for many garages and parking spots and loses maneuverability.

As for $10k in luxury options, people already pay that much more for premium trim in many vehicles. He isn't saying make this stuff standard for Pete's sake.

Bearhawke, Tony K, Ryan and 2 others like this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I think midsize trucks would be a better place to start using electrification than full-size. They don’t need quite as much towing capacity or payload but are expected to have great fuel efficiency. I’ve wondered why automakers aren’t introducing the technology there and then adding it to full-size trucks as it matures and capability increases. I guess it would be too expensive in a midsize truck.

wvutuba, Bearhawke, Tony K and 3 others like this.
  5. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

You wouldn’t be forced to buy it. But like the 1500, the stuff I mentioned would be at the top of the range. Tradesman and Big Horn would still be the value trims.

page2171 and valiant67 like this.
  6. aldo90731

My guess is full-size pickups offer the volume to better spread the development costs.

Also, electric motors produce ample torque, which is a key attribute in large pickups.

Tony K and Ryan like this.
  7. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

The Rdgeline has more then 48 between the wheel wells

8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The Ridgeline bed floor doesn’t have wheel wells protruding into it. It’s a “raised” floor.

Tony K likes this.
  9. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

It looks to have wheel bumps. Can hardly call them wheel wells.

Honda-Ridgeline-2017-800-94.jpg

Bearhawke and Ryan like this.
  10. voiceofstl

The point is a Mid size truck can easly be made with 48 between the wells. There many things made besides plywood to the 48 inch standard.
    Did you know the average lawn tracter needs 48 inches to load. Thats right,,you can put a tracter in a ridgeline but not a colorado or ranger.
    Hows that for function?

11. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Most people would still put it on a trailer...

Doug D likes this.
  12. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yep, even if you have ramps, it's easier to load a tractor/riding mower on a trailer than on to the bed of a pickup truck. It's rare (around here anyway) to see a riding mower/tractor loaded in the bed of a truck. 90% of them are loaded on trailers.

Bearhawke, tlc and Ryan like this.
  13. aldo90731

This part of the country is a bit funny. People drive around in their 30-40 year old pickups with pride.

Yesterday a white 1990s Dodge Ram 2500 pulled out in front of me; it looked like it had just driven off the showroom. I see lots of 2nd gen Dodge Dakotas in great shape driving around.

Will a Honda Ridgeline last 30-40 years like it’s no big deal? I guess we don’t know yet. I barely see any; new or old.

14. voiceofstl

I used the tracter as a example.. I only move mine a few times a year.

15. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

One thing is near certain. Whoever designed the third gen Dakota I hope is not with the company anymore. Now if by chance the second gen person or persons are still there put them in charge of the new one, if there's to be a new one. Had they just given the second gen an update and not produced the abomination called the third gen, we might still have the Dakota today. I knew Dakota was in trouble when the Maxx concept was shown. Butt ugly.

cdjr77, aldo90731 and jclick like this.
  16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yes, they can do it by raising the bed floor as Honda has done.

17. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

I think that they keep the beds narrow to force most people into the full size trucks, more profit. There is more than enough room in the rear wheel wells to move them out a couple inches as long as you do not put on oversized tires. It,s a form over function decision.

voiceofstl likes this.
  18. voiceofstl

it was not done by raising the floor.. It still has wheel well or as another poster said wheel bumps.

19. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Or by basing it on a FWD platform with an independent rear suspension.

Ryan and valiant67 like this.
  20. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Look at a Ridgeline with the tailgate swung open (the distance is obscured when the tailgate is folded down). The load floor is a good bit higher than the bumper. There is a "trunk" under the bed for storage, including the spare tire.

If you want the Ridgeline, buy one. It has your precious 4' floor. But the 5' wide bed is also restricted by a 4' wide opening at the tailgate.

#100 valiant67, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    aldo90731 and Ryan like this.