AF: The US Pickup Truck Market | Page 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The US Pickup Truck Market

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by valiant67, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Honda-Ridgeline-2017-1280-97.jpg

brewdad, page2171 and Zagnut27 like this.
  2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I think that’s kind of a cool idea with the storage space under the bed surface. But I have 2 concerns with that. I wonder if it’s sealed adequately enough to keep out moisture. And I wonder if having that storage area affects how much weight you can carry in the bed (on top of said storage area). Perhaps the Ram box is a better idea....though I think they had issues with keeping out moisture too.

3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I like the Ram Box idea better. With the Honda set up it would be difficult to access if you have a full bed. With the Ram Box it doesn't matter.

4. aldo90731

Ridgeline would be the ideal truck for a market like Mexico’s. However, Honda just discontinued offering Ridgeline there due to poor sales.

Ridgeline’s main obstacle remains its price —and/or its inability to generate healthy margins. That’s a challenge with most unibody vehicles.

5. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I don't see why you couldn't make a standard bed and something like the Ridgeline's trunk-under-bed. If you put a Ram-box in a narrower truck like Dakota, and need to have 4' inside width for plywood/sheetrock/whatever, that poses more limitations on the Ram-box in the bedsides. You might be able to do a combination with narrower Ram-boxes. Those would be handy places to stow smaller items like ratchet straps and small toolbags/cases, bags of fasteners, etc., under lock and key. Maybe look at an under-bedside storage that takes advantage of the unused space below the bed level alongside of the truck that isn't accessible from the top, similar to the lower storage in service bodies, except integrated into a pickup bed. Whatever we do, we don't need a bigger Dakota. That whole design creep is what kills good-selling vehicles.

6. gminnebo

gminnebo Well-Known Member

I haven't had the opportunity to move a tractor since I got my Ram... but I always used my minivan to move them before, just back into a drainage ditch, and drive them in... Never would have consider a trailer, but then I've never had a trailer so...

66coronet likes this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

In the 70's all three big truck manufacturers offered in-bed tool boxes. The door to access was on the bottom of the bed. Sort of an early Ram box. Here is the image from a 1978 Dodge pickup brochure.

IMG_000112.jpg

Dave Z, pug-man, Bearhawke and 8 others like this.
  8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

By the way, when I was at the store yesterday a new Ridgeline was beside a stock F150 4x4. The bed floor was higher on the Ridgeline.

9. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

I can see it now, You go to the yard and get a load of gravel for your driveway, half way home you get a flat tire. With a Honda your screwed, of course flats are rare, but they do happen.

tlc, djsamuel and CherokeeVision like this.
  10. Doug D

There's a few old trucks running around here. Maybe not 30 years old, but I've noticed some 20 year old trucks - usually with farm tags on them.

Ridgeline's are rare (as are Dakota's). It's mostly Rams, Silverados and F-150s. We are a rural county with small farms. It's slowly building up though. There is the naval research lab (NSWC-Dahlgren) that employs 40% of the county and many commute from outside of the county. If all the authorized subdivisions were built out they'd have to build a new HS.

11. Doug D

It wouldn't be much a load. You'd be surprised how little a half ton of gravel is. I need to add new gravel to my driveway (100 ft long) and it'll take a minimum of 10 tons.

Tony K likes this.
  12. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

When and where?
    I'll bring my Ram and the pizza. You supply the beer.

13. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

Which is why I continue to trumpet a production ready RU based RAMPAGE (CHRYSLER OZARK) with the STOW & GO™ features, since it would likely carry the "lifestyle" stigma {no overarching expectations}.

14. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

That's what, a load for a tandem dump (15 cu yd body)?

#114 Tony K, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  15. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Saw on GMInsideNews that Ford is going to offer a small unibody pickup in late 2021.
    Will Ram even have a mid size by then?

vipergg likes this.
  16. aldo90731

Yeah, saw the same on Auto News this morning.

F-Series, Ranger and a new unibody pickup are starting to look a bit crowded.

17. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

I guess Ford is the only one brave enough to re-enter the small pickup market here. I bet it sells great.

18. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I always thought a small pickup could do well for certain small business owners like florists, cleaning companies, small landscapers...where they don't need a huge payload capacity, but the truck bed comes in handy. When my family had a cleaning and staging business, a small truck could've come in handy for sure, transporting supplies to and from a job site...in addition to a small cargo van & passenger van. We had looked at the Transit Connect at the time for both the passenger and cargo versions, but a small truck would've gotten a look too. The price would've been an attractive selling point as well. We didn't need anything larger.

77 Monaco Brougham and jclick like this.
  19. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

This is what the Chief Designer of the Concept Car Project came up with (after ingesting...one way or another...any number of highly questionable substances):p:D

[​IMG]

Tony K likes this.
  20. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

or desperate enough.

Ford is in deep trouble.

Ford is 100-200k stolen F-Series from bankruptcy.

Hint: Ram go after them once their model changeover hits.