AF: The US Pickup Truck Market | Page 7 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The US Pickup Truck Market

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by valiant67, Feb 20, 2020.

1. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

A vehicle like the old El Camino and Ranchero would be great for the types of business you mention.

Perhaps even something the size of this:

[​IMG]

2. HoboChangba

HoboChangba Well-Known Member

Ford's bringing back the baby truck. Just announced it and it's said to be base price under 20k.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I probably wouldn’t mind something like that. :)

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Those didn't sell all that well. I don't see them selling well now.

Full disclosure - at one point my Dad handed down a '79 El Camino to me. It was a Super Sport version with a gutless 305 V8 (only 150 hp) and 4 speed manual. It was a cross between a car and truck. It did neither well. Kind of like a "jack of all trades, master of none". It could only carry 3 passengers and it's payload was limited (1,000 lbs?). It did look sporty though.

valiant67 likes this.
  5. gminnebo

gminnebo Well-Known Member

Man I do miss my Rampage circa 1988-1990... but it sure didn't offer the comfort and space of my Ram 1500...
    Rampage.jpg

BASONE88, tlc, Zagnut27 and 2 others like this.
  6. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

?Dare I ask which of those gentlemen is you?

gminnebo and Zagnut27 like this.
  7. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

BTW, is Rock ‘n Roll dead...?

8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I think we all had the same haircut back then. :D

gminnebo likes this.
  9. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Not in my house, it ain't! :D:cool:

tlc, AvengerGuy, Zagnut27 and 3 others like this.
  10. gminnebo

gminnebo Well-Known Member

I have no shame, I'm the one with the 6'3" wing span and snake skin boots. Back then I weighed maybe a buck 30, I've added almost a whole person to my weight since then...

Bajanbuoy, wtxiceman and Zagnut27 like this.
  11. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Hahaha... I know what you mean...I'm still trying to lose my "Freshman 15".... and I'm turning 44 this year... Hahahahaahaa :eek::cool::D

gminnebo likes this.
  12. romalerig

romalerig Well-Known Member

Our Airports Weren't Prepared For This (at https://jalopnik.com/our-airports-werent-prepared-for-this-1842355657 )

Just a question, no controversy. Are we absolutely sure FCA needs a mid-size truck to tackle Ford and GM ? Frankly I'm not so sure.....

jclick likes this.
  13. aldo90731

That has been the million-dollar question for years.

The reason Ford dropped Ranger a few years ago was because it deemed that it could fill that space more profitably by offering a stripped, low-priced F-Series. Given the economies of scale Ford gets from building a million F-Series every year, selling a stripped F-Series looked like a better business proposition than offering a separate Ranger.

Has anything changed in the past decade that would warrant reevaluating the midsize pickup as a profitable business proposition? Maybe, maybe not. Over the past decade we have seen pickups become larger, more powerful, more luxurious and more expensive. We have also seen sales of pickups explode. All of which suggest that there should be room for midsize pickups to coexist profitably with their larger brethren.

The question, though, is: are these trends permanent or not? In the past we have seen sales of full-size pickups grow strong only to come crashing down the moment the economy turned.

I guess we are about to find out.

Dave Z and romalerig like this.
  14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

The issue with the stripped F is the aluminum body, I suspect. I agree with you, we will find out.
    Not helping: oil industry winding down...

aldo90731 likes this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Only if they want to ignore a segment that’s growing more than twice as fast. Full size pickup growth isn’t really that high. It appears it is to Ram because of the rate they’ve been able to get conquest sales.

The midsize truck market is growing more overall so there more room for FCA there.

16. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Our fleet normally keeps a supply of lower line trim pickups for business rentals at our airport locations. The pickups are half ton, extended or crew cab from Ford, Chevy, Ram, and Toyota. These trucks are usually rented by companies that send skilled employees into a location to perform tasks requiring a truck. The crew cabs are popular because the rear seats fold out of the way allowing secure storage of tools and parts. Typically these trucks are inventoried out after 40,000 miles of service, but sometimes I see over 60,000 miles on the odometer.

A lot has changed this past week. I was surprised to be seeing these work trucks with very low miles being removed from inventory. I'm a semi-retired part-time worker. If I'm not working it isn't that big of a deal. The customers using those work trucks are usually in highly skilled, specialized occupations. If they aren't working, it's a very big deal.

Dave Z and aldo90731 like this.
  17. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

Instead of starting a new thread i'm tapping this one.

Acknowledging the state of things, and market changes.
    What was the previous time line on HD RAM cab upgrade etc. ?
    What can we expect now ?
    Insider thoughts ?

Thx.

18. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

Bits and pieces rattling around my head and the internet.

-Mexico plant closes, or build (Dakota) something else
    -HD moves, built next to 1500.
    -HD gets new cab, trans upgrade.
    -will see this in 2021

19. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

Honestly, in my opinion, I don't see the HD getting a new cab until the 6th generation. The update on the 4.5 gen was significant, well-received, and award-winning. They are selling well. They could update the trans to an 8 speed without doing a total rebuild. It just makes more sense to leapfrog and wait until 2026 or 27 to replace them. Granted I have no insight into RAMs product plan.

Dave Z likes this.
  20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Agreed. And it may not move after all. I think these plans were discussed by Sergio, and he kept changing them.