AF: The very best Is about to come. | Page 18 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The very best Is about to come.

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by Mr.Source, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

If they're smart they would use one modular type platform that could be used for all unibody rear or awd vehicles. Now, with this bunch that might be stretching their thought processes a bit. Maybe Tavares can see the logic and cost savings here, but we will have to see.

2. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

That's what they're doing with Giorgio Global, which can be reconfigured to fit within whatever build points are needed. It will be reconfigured to fit the Alfa Romeos, Maseratis, Chargers, Challengers, and the 2- and 3-row Grand Cherokees.

Tony K likes this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Yup. 'Course if we really wanted to look at what they call architectures today... you could argue that Chrysler in the 1950s had it all nailed down. Every vehicle was basically the same architecture and there was an absurd amount of parts sharing. Imperial brakes on a Plymouth - why not?

Donte Lindsey and Tony K like this.
  4. Ryan

Similar to what they're going back to with BEV architectures. IMO, the skateboard design is really the ultimate evolution of a modular architecture and will allow a lot of parts sharing and reduction in development costs, plus likely a much shorter development time.

Dave Z likes this.
  5. Adventurer55

Ryan, I'd love to share your optimism here, but when it comes to anything calling itself a car my pessimist side comes out. Even though the triplets produced at Brampton are great cars, they have two very large obstacles against them going forward. One, is the country of origin. Two, is the fact they're cars. Now that the 300 is going away there isn't enough sales to keep the plant open I'm afraid. Now if the Journey morphs into something that can be shared with the cars then maybe. This company is like a kid who lies to you all the time, pretty soon you only believe what you can see. Add that to the fact that they have a plant in the US that needs new product desperately, and I'm sure the state would give them all kinds of incentives to keep it open.

NWbyNW likes this.
  6. Ryan

I wasn't commenting on the timeline of future vehicles, but on the fact that they actually do have an architecture capable of doing what you described above.

Although now that you mentioned it, the 300 going away doesn't mean a new product won't be introduced. In fact, the current Challenger will be produced alongside the new generation for a short while, which I am assuming will continue until they are ready to produce the new Charger-inspired crossover in Brampton to fill the extra capacity.

Tony K, tlc and James A like this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I'm pretty skeptical now on this as well.
    * The first plan showed a new Challenger for 2018.
    * Then it was changed to a refresh for 2018.
    * Then the 2018 refresh was canceled because the new one was "coming soon".
    * Then the new one was for 2021.
    * Then the new one is for 2023.
    Throw in the fact that at one time, the theory was "the new car development is done, but they are just producing the old ones because they make so much money" (a fact anyone with any business sense knows is a tall tale).

8. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

You have to be patient, and start saving some money..

djsamuel and Tony K like this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I think the development did proceed pretty far on the Maserati design changes being applied back to Dodge, but I also think the cost was too high and SM needed to prove that the layout for Giorgio was worthwhile. Hard to do if you have a Dodge that's really good using a combo of old designs.
    I think it's worth remembering that organizations do not act rationally because they are run by people, and people (a) have something to prove, (b) may be ideologically driven, and (c) may just make bad assumptions or decisions, or have bad info.

XRT2SRT, page2171, tlc and 3 others like this.
  10. Adventurer55

Do you have any idea how long we all have been hearing this same story? Save money for a car? Heck one would have enough money to buy not only a car, but be half way to house by now. That ship sailed long ago.

valiant67, CherokeeVision and James A like this.
  11. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

We also heard Sergio talk about merging. Now that the merger is coming, those other things talked about actually have some sort of chance.

Ryan likes this.
  12. Adventurer55

I agree, but a new angle has emerged. Everything that hasn't had tooling ordered will probably be delayed until it can be reviewed by the new powers that be.

13. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Been saving for a long time.
    Been waiting for a long time.
    Still have to see if what they produce is desirable and meets my needs.

14. Ryan

Both the 2- and 3-row Grand Cherokee are so close to production that they're unlikely to be delayed again. It should be understandable why the SUVs need to come first.

The L-cars aren't the only old products in the lineup. The Grand Cherokee and Durango were released in 2011, too, and the former is getting an all new design while the latter is getting a refresh this year. We've seen spy shots of the 2- and 3-row Grand Cherokees, the refreshed Durango, and prototypes for the Wagoneer, so denying that they're coming would be ignorant.

Tony K, tlc, brewdad and 1 other person like this.
  15. Adventurer55

I wasn't referring to those. They're too far along, but anything else "new" in the pipeline could be affected, mid cycle refreshes aren't counted, as those are not all new or significant changes.

16. Donte Lindsey

Donte Lindsey Active Member

I thought the new crossover was supposed to be Chrysler branded?

17. Ryan

Not this one. I'm referring to the midsize, RWD Dodge crossover.

The Chryslers will be FWD.

18. BillyRaff

BillyRaff Active Member

I’m not really concerned about the financial aspects of the car.. we’ve got a 2019 Wrangler Moab and Sahara in the garage. I’m more concerned that I’d get a 2020 Charger and then find out a month later that there’s a refresh or change that I would have wanted.. like I did with the 19 Sahara because I was told on the forums the 3.6 would not get an eTorque in 2020 and bam there it was a month later.

19. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

Unless you were waiting for the Redeye, nothing major for the Charger so far until 2023 model.

BillyRaff likes this.
  20. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Being a confirmed skeptic and cynic...the following question has been rolling around in my head for quite some time now:

Which will the world see first?...The practical commercialization of Hydrogen Fusion Power...OR...The rollout of the Wagoneer / Grand Wagoneer?:D