Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Yankee Express

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by aslbow, Dec 29, 2017.

1. aslbow

aslbow Member

Hello again everyone!
    I was on this forum way back in 2014 right after I dived into Mopar ownership. A bunch has happened since then so here's a catchup thread.

To reiterate, the car is a 1967 Dodge Coronet 500 that I bought off of a CL ad. The ad was up about 20 minutes when my wife noticed it and asked me if it was the sort of car that I was looking for? I checked it out and called immediately. The lady was surprised to hear from someone so soon!
    I bought it for $3750 and trailered it home to Vermont.
    It was a cream colored 500 with factory tinted windows, A/C, Power Brakes, power steering, black bench buddy seat car. Had a 318/ 727, column shift , 8 3/4 non Sure Grip, drum brakes all around. It was a complete unmolested survivor. 100% complete.
    I learned soon that it had been hit on both front corners in the past. The body had some surface rust and the right quarter tail had been hit as well and poorly repaired. The right end of the cowl had been shmushed by a tree and the passenger floors needed to be replaced. Everything worked on the car and I drove it home from my buddy's house and into my garage. Here's some first pictures....

Attached Files:

2. aslbow

aslbow Member

more pics....

Attached Files:

3. aslbow

aslbow Member

As I said, a lot has happened since then...
    I have made many modifications to the body and interior and swapped from a 318 to a 440. Among the changes I have done, and plan to do are the following;

• Swap to a 440 wedge
    • Change front end to a 67 Charger hidden headlights and grill set up.
    • Clip and reposition the outer bends in the front bumper to take the angle out and fill in the turn signals rectangle holes.
    • Sweep the front fender noses back to almost 90*
    • Section the hood like a 69 Camaro
    • Front flip open the rear portion of the hood
    • Smooth the firewall
    • Smooth the inside walls of the inner fenders
    • Move everything previously on the firewall in under dash
    • Hide all or most of the wiring and hoses
    • Swap to a 2006 Audi A6 executive sedan interior/ dash/ and console along with door panels, A/C and heat
    • Swap to '04 Volvo Cross-country leather 10 way, heated buckets, redye seats to match new headrests in Sepia Laguna Leather
    • Power windows and locks
    • Roadster rear seat area panel consisting of a 67 Satellite rear seat topper moved up to right behind the buckets and fab panels to fill in over that area and a tunnel to run down to the Audi console ( think 59 Corvette)
    • Open the fake side scoops on the quarters
    • Tub the rear wells
    • Relocate the springs
    • Put the hood and trunk lid on gas filled lifts
    • Rebuild/ design the entire rear face of the car to accept 66 Thunderbird sequential tail lights
    • Swap rear bumper to a lengthened 70 Road Runner rear bumper
    • Cut back support to pass through exhaust tips to the back up light holes in the bumper and remove the spare tire well and flatten the trunk floor
    • Place battery behind buckets, and the gas tank above the rear shocks inside the trunk with the fill cap up on the left quarter top like a 69 Charger
    • Tint the back and quarter windows
    • Add chrome rims
    • Exhaust H or X pipe and headers
    • M1 intake, mild cam, ported heads, remote oil filter.
    Those items in bold are things that have been done already. I'm currently working on fitting a 16 gallon tank into the trunk, cleaning up the K frame, and finishing the roadster panel.

Attached Files:

4. aslbow

aslbow Member

Once I had it disassembled I sat down on a HD bucket and contemplated exactly what parts I wanted to keep and what I could part with that didn't fit my vision for the build. I sold off all of the extra stuff and used the cash to finance purchases of what some of what I would need. My pal Rick had a 74 440 wedge from a motor home with only 38,000 miles on it, I got that for $500 bucks and a BB 727 from another friend for $200. The entire 318 without tranny was sold including everything on the engine. The entire interior including dash and steering wheel went except the door cards. The entire grille/headlights and trim went, the rear lights and trunk panel went, hubcaps went, rear bumper went. The glass all went in the basement and any other parts and pieces into storage room.

5. aslbow

aslbow Member

I began by cutting out the trunk floor/ spare tire well because the tank in front of it would be over the axle inside the trunk and the spare behind the seats under the roadster panel and the dual exhaust would go through that space on the way out through the 70 Road Runner rear bumper back up light holes. I left that space cut out until this past fall when I finally closed it up. I left it open to make working on the spring relocations easier and the in trunk fuel tank mock up easier too. Also it helped with being able to sit facing rearward and work on modifying the inside of the back trunk wall to fit the 66 Thunderbird tail light system and rebuild the trunk seal/ lid.

Attached Files:

6. aslbow

aslbow Member

more pics...

Attached Files:

7. aslbow

aslbow Member

more...

Attached Files:

8. aslbow

aslbow Member

more...

Attached Files:

9. aslbow

aslbow Member

more...

Attached Files:

10. aslbow

aslbow Member

more...

Attached Files:

11. aslbow

aslbow Member

Having worked all of that out I moved on the wheel tubs and the Audi interior...

Attached Files:

12. aslbow

aslbow Member

more...

Attached Files:

13. aslbow

aslbow Member

Next up was sanding all of the old paint off...

Attached Files:

14. aslbow

aslbow Member

more...

Attached Files:

15. aslbow

aslbow Member

Once it was stripped I went to work on cleaning up the engine bay inner and outer fenders..

Attached Files:

16. aslbow

aslbow Member

Next up was sweeping the fender nose angles back...

Attached Files:

17. aslbow

aslbow Member

Then cutting the side scoops open to be backed by Stainless steel screen..

Attached Files:

18. aslbow

aslbow Member

more...

Attached Files:

19. aslbow

aslbow Member

On to building the front for the 67 Charger headlights and grill...

Attached Files:

20. aslbow

aslbow Member

Roadster panel....

Attached Files: