Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Yankee Express

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by aslbow, Dec 29, 2017.

1. aslbow

aslbow Member

Smooth firewall and smooth inner fender close outs..

Attached Files:

2. aslbow

aslbow Member

more...

Attached Files:

3. aslbow

aslbow Member

There's a ton of room under the dash because the '06 Audi Allroad Quattro dash is deep. Even after trimming 6 inches or so from the forward edge to mate it up the curve of the windshield there is still nearly 15 inches of free space front to back under there. I had to move the bucket seats back about 8 inches to accommodate this. More than enough to place a 90* angled M/C w/ booster, the windshield wiper motor and linkages, all of the firewall stuff, the heater and A/C, and still room for all of the wiring looms and hoses. The wiring and hoses will exit the cab on both sides to go up and over the wheel wells on the outside of the inners through a sheet metal tube and come out into the engine bay along the frame and back through the radiator frame. The firewall will remain clear. The junction box will be under the dash with the computer box and fuse/relay panels. I retained the Audi steering wheel. I did nix the addition of the Audi seat heat/memory panel/ door pocket assemblies to the Coronet doors. I tried it and they just didn't look right to me. The door cards have been replaced with hard board that's rough on one side. I transferred the mounting clip slot placements to the new cards. I added the 6 1/2 inch Audi woofers to the doors alomg with the tweeters that rest just ahead of the chrome door latch pulls at the top of the door. I used high density spray expanding foam to build out the upper section of the door cards with trimmed out pieces of the original Audi door cards that match the ends of the dash and continue the curvature of the dash around onto the doors. I tried several ways to incorporate the entire Audi panels but they were just too thick. So I dissassembled the panels and trimmed out the bare minimum pieces I needed. I kept the door pulls with the window and door lock switches and the lock outs. I also placed the door puddle lights, red to the rear and clear towards the ground into the door frame and ran the wiring loom gaskets out the front of the door body to go through the pillar to the under dash area.

Attached Files:

4. aslbow

aslbow Member

More...

Attached Files:

5. aslbow

aslbow Member

I also used the foam to fill the areas on both ends of the dash where the Audi dash came up short on the top ends by about 4 inches. The pillar moldings are very different from the Coronet ones in shape and size. it worked out very well and I'll now be able to either cover the dash in leather or vinyl or coat the foamed area with filler and texture it and then spray the whole dash to match.

Attached Files:

6. aslbow

aslbow Member

The Audi door pulls have a curved end to the rear and the driver pull stops short of the door surface by an inch or so. I used the high density foam in these areas too. the handle where it fell short was fixed by cutting a steel tube to the correct length and angle and sliding it onto the handle stem and then coating it with foam. These areas will be coated with flowable plastic that hardens so they wont crack with use. And be painted to match. The rest of the door card will be upholstered with leather. the rear cards can slide in between the roadster frame and the car body to look right at home. The area under the roadster panel which used to be the backseat area will hold the spare on a custom mount, the remote battery box, and the electric fuel pump and filters.

7. aslbow

aslbow Member

The Audi door pulls have a curved end to the rear and the driver pull stops short of the door surface by an inch or so. I used the high density foam in these areas too. the handle where it fell short was fixed by cutting a steel tube to the correct length and angle and sliding it onto the handle stem and then coating it with foam. These areas will be coated with flowable plastic that hardens so they wont crack with use. And be painted to match. The rest of the door card will be upholstered with leather. the rear cards can slide in between the roadster frame and the car body to look right at home. The area under the roadster panel which used to be the backseat area will hold the spare on a custom mount, the remote battery box, and the electric fuel pump and filters.