Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There’s no Hurricane, but...

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Opinion. A Jeep spokesman told us that the four-cylinder in the 2018 Wrangler JL is called “eTorque” — including the belt-starter-generator mild-hybrid system. The gasoline motor itself is prosaically dubbed, “2.0-liter turbocharged engine with eTorque assist”.

[​IMG]

The official portrait simply shows “Jeep 2.0L” with no mention of the massive turbocharger. Is FCA missing some marketing opportunities here?

During the engine’s development, employees told us it was called “Hurricane,” most likely just “between us” — that is, among engineers or techs, perhaps not officially. Past engines have been code-named for military aircraft — Apache, Hellcat, and such. Usually, the code name does not survive.

The engine itself, whatever you call it, is a turbocharged four-cylinder that uses all the lessons Chrysler and Fiat have learned over the years in both gasoline engines and hybrid systems. But the eTorque name has been used by FCA already, with different spelling. The e.TorQ engine is an evolution of the old Neon engines, still made by Fiat in Brazil, in the former-Chrysler/Rover plant. It’s hard to argue about the fit of the name — it’s an engine with high torque, thanks to electric assist — but it doesn’t feel right on a Wrangler.

Why not go with the flow and call it Hurricane? The name, used decades ago by Jeep for another four-cylinder, has a credible past; it’s also more fun name, and catchy, at least when we’re not in high-wind-storm season. It’s also far easier on techs, writers, and owners than “2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder with eTorque assist.”

Regardless, that engine cover has to go — when you open your hood, do you want to see “2.0 L,” or do you want to see “Hurricane”? Or, at least, “Turbo” or “eTorque.”

Still to be discovered: the name for the plug-in hybrid-electric Wrangler coming in two years or so.

Read the whole post here.

somber likes this.
  2. semihemi287

semihemi287 Member

I agree that they should use the name Hurricane, instead of the eTorque that they are going to use.
    And that engine cover looks like the tray from a TV dinner. (Beef Stroganoff in this part, Mashed Potatoes in this one, Green Beans in this one)

somber likes this.
  3. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

This is why some marketing people need to be canned. This is mostly a pure marketing decision and to throw away the prestige of the Hurricane name is stupid.

Did they just test the name Hurricane on victims in Puerto Rico or Houston?

I understand that they do not want to broadcast Turbo as it connotes performance (insurance companies in the past charged more for turbo equipped vehicles due to the connection with sporty performance.

But to use eTorque instead of Hurricane makes no sense.

#3 Erik Latranyi, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2017
    somber, valiant67 and UN4GTBL like this.
  4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

That past is long ago...

5. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

So is the Jeep Willy's but they milk that for special editions every chance they get.

6. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The engine name is not eTorque.

From the FCA media press release:
    "All-new 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine with efficient eTorque technology"

Next year (?) or in 2019 there will be the 3.6 V6 with "efficient eTorque technology", that is the BSG mild hybrid.

Without an engine name one focus the attention of the potential customer on the mild hybrid technology.

I my opinion Hurricane will be used by Dodge (Hellcat, Hurricane, Tornado).

Hank600ES likes this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The name of the engine is the “2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine”

Real catchy!

Why not put eTorque onto the engine cover if it's so good? Or even just the word “Turbo”? Nobody thinks a 2.0L engine is sexy in a 4,000 pound vehicle... not without help!

Yes, maybe Hurricane will be used by Dodge alone. That's kind of odd, for a Jeep name, but I get it... (Tornado was also a Jeep name, FWIW).

Yes, maybe it's brand separation.

8. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Maybe by not marketing the turbo, they can avoid what happened with dart? It wasn't a performance engine, but that's what people think when you badge turbo everywhere on something.

VoiceOfReason, GasAxe, danbek and 2 others like this.
  9. T_690

T_690 Active Member

"The 2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 engine is part of the Global Medium Engine architecture family"

GME it is.

10. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's like saying the 4.7L MAGNUM V-8 wasn't codenamed Corsair, but was a Magnum engine in Dodges and a PowerTech in Jeeps and Chryslers?

11. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Wish they would call it the Global Engine - Medium. Then when asked about the engine the response could be "It's a GEM" :D

12. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Well under the hood of some Jeep vehicles we can find

2017 Jeep Wrangler V6 Pentastar
    If I remember well there was a "VVT" before or just in some models?
    [​IMG]

Jeep Cherokee 2.2 turbocharged engine Multijet II (injection technology)
    [​IMG]

In the Renegade diesel one cover fits the 1.6 and 2.0 engines... so only Multijet II (save money). There is/was (?) also a version with a small 16V behind.
    [​IMG]

Grand Cherokee diesel V6 3.0 CRD (is Multijet II)
    [​IMG]

In the Wrangler with 2.8 diesel engine there is "2.8L CRD".

13. Hank600ES

Hank600ES Active Member

Hurricane would be a great marketing tool for Dodge as long as it meets expectations. Jeep Wrangler, it's all about low end grunt, if eTorque connotes electrically boosted power and delivers that feeling, it would fit.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. semihemi287

semihemi287 Member

If it was in a Dodge, than it could be called a Magnum. I know it sounds almost comical to call a 2.0 a Magnum, but with the amount of horsepower and torque that little sucker puts out, I think that it would qualify.

Doug D and Dave Z like this.
  15. Hank600ES

Hank600ES Active Member

I agree, but there's nothing wrong to market the Hurricane name for Dodge.

16. TripleT

Level III Supporter

are we complaining about the plastic engine cover?

GasAxe, danbek, JKU12 and 3 others like this.
  17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Yes. But not, and this is important, the fact that it is plastic, or the quality of the plastic.

18. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Wasn't one of the neons 2L called a magnum? o_O

UN4GTBL and TripleT like this.
  19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Well, yes...because it’s there...and it does look like a TV dinner container...and it’s a slow news day...and...hey look a squirrel! :D

tomit, danbek, Morty and 3 others like this.
  20. TripleT

Level III Supporter

Quit teasing me.... :'(

I will volunteer my time to design a new one, crowd fund about $10k and I make us a Mold. Allpar 2.0 cover. I bet the area for the name is sub-inserted to be make different versions.

tomit and UN4GTBL like this.