AF: Thinking of New FCA product.. | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of New FCA product..

Discussion in 'Car Dealer Hangout' started by saltydog, Apr 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

So I have been toying with idea of getting a new Jeep Gladiator or Ram 1500. With deals that are being offered, its kinda hard to resist :)

I am looking at 2020 Ram Built to Serve edition in Gator Green, like the package overall but not happy that it does not have passive entry, the Big Horns only come with push button start. I don't know why they only go halfway with this? So odd.

And looking at a few Gladiator's, I really like the Rubicon, as they have a higher tow rating(sport is higher if you get the tow package) and I can get the nicer interior. The Sahara edition is perfect for me, but you cant get the upgraded tow package(at least not that I can see). The other issue is the price, for similar money you can get a full size Ram...

DC-93 and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  2. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

if my family were to get a new vehicle it would be to replace the buick, but it still has lots of life left in it...that would be a hard sell to convince the wife. That being said, I'd be looking at a charger awd gt.

DC-93 and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  3. purplepassengerpete

purplepassengerpete Active Member

I would get the 2020 Ram Built to Serve edition over the Gladiator

wtxiceman and DC-93 like this.
  4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I've looked at all three and here is my opinion:
    1) I don't care for the new Ram styling except in Rebel trim.
    2) Ram Classic is still a great value. Hard to beat the pricing on this one. it's missing some nice touches that the new Ram line has.
    3) Gladiator has a better size. And they are finally addressing the value proposition. The Popular Equipment Package (which was the truck of the Year Package) makes the Sport a good value.
    Keep in mind, Gladiator has push start standard, but the proximity entry is a optional.

aldo90731 and saltydog like this.
  5. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

6. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

If the Overland Gladiator works best for you, the Popular Equipment Package that @valiant67 mentioned is a good value and is also available on the Overland:
    equipment package.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  7. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Yup had the same idea but my wife went for a Jeep instead, more suitable to our needs. And the price was better. I agree with purplpassengerpete.. The Ram is the choice but if one is into exploring, off-roading etc, then the Gladiator with less towing, payload and more price is the choice.:D

saltydog likes this.
  8. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

OP - Let us know what you decide.

saltydog likes this.
  9. saltydog

Shane Estabrooks and DC-93 like this.
  10. saltydog

I am with you on the new Ram styling, I prefer the Rebel and now they have some with the black out grill and that I like too.

Nothing wrong with a Ram Classic, butI have owned a 2014 so if I am going get new truck, I prefer to get the updated truck.

I too like the size of the Gladiator, but I am bit concerned about the interior size, as I transport 3 kids daily(well I did, LOL and once the lock down is done I will again) and back seat is just ok in this regard. Also I have gotten used to the full size, so going smaller might not be the best option....

Shane Estabrooks, DC-93 and valiant67 like this.
  11. purplepassengerpete

purplepassengerpete Active Member

I would keep in mind that there are a lot of on road compromises with the Gladiator. Maybe I am being picky but there are no power seats, minimal sound deadening, and a solid front axle with recirculating ball steering etc. These are great for off-roading and water fording but not so much for interstate driving and ride quality. The Gladiator definitely has road presence however that fades away once you think about using it on a daily basis. Just my opinion from experience driving a Gladiator Rubicon and Ram 1500 Limited.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  12. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Wow! For that kind of money, I could buy a decent house in TN or AL. Of course, it probably wouldn't be in the best neighborhood, but I'm a gun owner. LOL

13. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Gladiators are toy gimmicks not liveable daily drivers.

14. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

I tend to agree, but after a good visit with my brother and his JK Rubicon, Some people can use these as daily drivers due to the life style they live. I think once he moves out of the bush and into a city that may change.

saltydog likes this.
  15. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Yes, niche market for people with lots of extra money. Can loosely translate to overpriced gimmick.

16. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

If you aren't into it, that's fine, but that doesn't mean your opinion is a fact.

17. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

What are you saying, my opinion isn't welcome? Pretty sure I could still call it overpriced if they were selling them for a dollar, that's how opinion works but thanks clarifying how opinions work I suppose.

18. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

You're in every thread saying every single product is overpriced and full of gimmicks. Do you think anyone actually wants to read that over and over?

Familiarize yourself with this post: Proper Forum Etiquette - Civility & Negativity (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/proper-forum-etiquette-civility-negativity.169902/#post-1084950047 )

The people who actually do like Gladiators would disagree with you because they have the off-road capability, towing capacity, and unique Jeep personality to make them a standout product.

19. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Just because my opinion isn't the popular one doesn't make it negative and malicious. I have said a few positive things, I'm sorry you don't like my opinion of modern cars and FCA products but until they bar me I will voice it.

Nobody is forcing you to read anything you don't like. Skip over it or ask the admin here to implement a feature to not see my posts. I have no problem being at opposite ends of the table, people here can't seem to handle it and you want to silence or exile those who disagree, that's actual poor etiquette, I'm just not sugar coating anything and some seem to take offence to it.

20. valiant67

valiant67 ...

And the pricing has gotten a little more rational on Gladiator now.

Gladiator shares a trait with Wrangler that makes it popular in the on-road market.
    They are both more maneuverable than the average vehicle of their size/class. Plus visibility from inside is better than average. This is why I like to take a Wrangler to the store. Door dings will happen on the car that hits mine, another advantage.

#20 valiant67, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    saltydog, page2171 and Ryan like this.