AF: Thinking of switching to synthetic. | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of switching to synthetic.

Discussion in 'Vans' started by addicted to dodge, Dec 1, 2013.

1. addicted to dodge

addicted to dodge New Member

My 01 Ram Van now has 160,000. It has the 318 and I have always run conventional oil in the past but with my miles getting a little higher I was thinking of switching to synthetic. I have heard good and bad about swapping to synthetic but I haven't found anything pertaining to my particular situation so I thought I would run it by the people who know best.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I use synthetic in all my cars and truck. It doesn't hurt, other than being more expensive. It does cut down slightly on wear in cold starting, so if you're in a northern climate, there is a long-term advantage to it.

3. addicted to dodge

addicted to dodge New Member

Thanks Bob, I appreciate the advice

4. Donnie 3.0

Donnie 3.0 Well-Known Member

I bought an old motorhome years ago with a 360 in it. I'm sure the previous owner ran conventional oil in it. I changed the oil almost immediately and used synthetic oil. I can't prove it, but I think it had more leaks with the synthetic than it did with the conventional. I switched back to conventional at the next oil change. In all my other vehicles, I use Mobil 1.

5. neongary

Level 2 Supporter

I'd say go for it. You might get more miles out of the engine. Personally I've always wondered if using synthetic can increase the life of a engine over conventional oil. I have 215K miles on a Chevrolet that has used Mobil 1 since it was new. It doesn't leak, use or burn oil.

6. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Dino or syn...well theres good and bad of both and it doesent really bothers wich you use
    as long as you use a good one.
    Oilchange intervals are more important, dont go over 6000- 7000 miles no matter
    what oil you use. These angines are not designed to be long oci engines. ( going with ridiculus low oci´s say like 3000 miles
    will hurt your wallet unless you use your engine in severe duty)
    You can also use HDEO " big rig diesel oil" like rotella, delo, delvac, john deree jd50 etc ( i do, but then i use atleast 10 gallons for maintaining
    my vehicles for a year so i buy the oil in 5 gallon cans dirt cheap.)
    These are all on thick side so try to find a 5w-40 or 10w-30 of these, othervise there isnt much sturdier oil to find out there.
    Stay away from stp and other wichbrew additives...if its good its already in there
    The only "additive" i would consider is when using HDEO is a quart or two of 0w-20 to thin it out a bit.

7. ropescan

ropescan New Member

My question is , are U going to use SYNTHETIC OIL or SYNTHETIC OIL BLEND, Iam thinking also of using synthetic oil in my 2003 PT

8. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Well-Known Member

I have seen someone switch to synthetic oil in an old Ford Thunderbird and it had an oil cloud following it. Not sure how many miles were on it.

My 87 Shelby CSX came from Shelby with Mobile 1 and that is the oil I used in it. 120,000 miles later it still had the original turbo and no oil smoke. When I would go to a Dodge dealer for a part I would see mechanics getting turbos from the parts department for cars they had in for service.