AF: Thoughts on the new F150? | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on the new F150?

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by suzq044, Jun 26, 2020.

1. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

I’m amazed at how many bent frames I see here. Especially with annual state safety inspections. As far as the rust goes, I’m just desensitized I guess...

2. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

During the reveal, they use the qualifier “targeted to have” before all their stats. I don’t know, Is that normal? Just doesn’t seem to convey confidence

3. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

GM actually had eAssist mild hybrids much earlier than Ram, but they were never popular.
    GM 5.3 Liter V8 L8B EcoTec3 Engine With eAssist Mild Hybrid System (at https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l8b/ )

They even had a mild hybrid as early as 2004:
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid - Pickup Long-Term Test Verdict & Review - Motor Trend (at https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/silverado/2004/0604lt-2004-chevrolet-silverado-hybrid/ )

4. aldo90731

Ford is making a mockery of these reveals. Its willingness to “tease” goes beyond that of most other automakers. And then it punishes media outlets that go out on a limb trying to fill in the blanks by revoking their access to information, etc. Bronco is as bad as it gets. It’s just ridiculous.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  5. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

OK
    Apparently, I may know a stuff or 2 about Ford, but I have no knowledge about GM.

thanks for the correction.

Ryan likes this.
  6. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Really, the chrome issue isn't a big thing. Various trim lines banish a lot of the chrome.

Ryan likes this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Even the Limited with the body colored bumpers looks better.

FreeLantz and Mopar392 like this.
  8. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I've been looking at the Big Horns. For me, it gives me the Ram look I'm used to in the front. I'm not a fan of the small squinty headlights. With package two it offers everything I need in a truck, minus a few stand alone options. In today's world, it is decently priced with incentives included.

9. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The Ford F-150 hybrid system is a full hybrid, It does also have a BSG like the Ram mild hybrid, but in addition the Ford uses a setup much like their Explorer hybrid. What I don't understand is the use of the EcoBoost V6 as the engine choice. Toyota and Chrysler Pacifica both use Aktinson cycle engines, but turbocharged motors can not run on Aktinson cycle without some type of electric assist to keep the turbos spooled up.

Ford's own Escape hybrid uses a natural aspirated engine. It is also fully competitive with the Toyota and Honda hybrids for fuel economy and power. Why Ford didn't follow through with their rear drive based hybrids is beyond me.

I don't know what the RAM people have in mind for a full hybrid pickup, but there is a Jeep Wrangler plugin hybrid allegedly waiting in the wings.

10. MSwenning

MSwenning Active Member

Sold in very low numbers, available in California only for 2016MY with production of 500-700 units.offered for 2 more model years with very low production. The question is why? and why did they discontinue it?

11. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

One reason is GM got burned by a battery supplier, but that issue was much earlier than 2016. GM dropped all their hybrid projects last year to "go all in" on battery electric vehicles.

12. ScramFan

ScramFan Well-Known Member

I could think of one way to possibly explain this.

I remember GSA (US's General Service Administration) had a requirement that a certain %, or perhaps static # of their fleet purchases had to be "flex fuel" or E-85 capable vehicles.

Perhaps those GM mild hybrids were a similar fleet purchase from GSA, or another agency. Maybe even the EPA directly.