Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing belt question

Discussion in 'Neon' started by cames645, Dec 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cames645

cames645 Member

I had someone bring me an 05 neon 2.0 they replaced timing belt water pump and tensioner pulley after it had broke it starts but wont idel the first thing i thought was bent valves but it also crossed my mind they didnt set timing marks right i ask them how they set timing marks they told me they lined up the timing marks at tdc they never checked to see if it was on compression or exhaust stroke could it be 180 out and still start just wont idle or no power.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. If the belt broke while it was running or cranking over, the valves likely got dinged. The 2.0L is an interference engine.
    Begin with a compression test.
    If the #1 piston was at TDC, it wouldn't matter if the cam timing was 180°off. It would just be at the end of the exhaust stroke instead of being at the end of the compression stroke.
    If the rest of the car is worth it, a valve job or reman head isn't the end of the world.

somber and valiant67 like this.
  3. cames645

cames645 Member

Yeah i though about it after i posted this that the crank dosent matter as long as its at tdc and yes the car is worth it im gonna get another head and change it i already ordered gasket set and bolts heads next thanks fir the reply

somber and ImperialCrown like this.
  4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

The bottom of the engine doesn't care if it's compression or exhaust (and rotates twice per a rotation of the top), so it is impossible for the bottom to be 180º off.

somber likes this.
  5. cames645

cames645 Member

Ok i replaced head timing belt tensioner when i start it the cam sensor sets a code imediatley and when you give it gas at 2200 rpms it acts like the rev limiter kicks in it starts surging

6. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

What is the specific cam sensor code? When the rebuilt head was installed, was the cam sensor magnet (located on end of camshaft at transmission end) moved from old head to new head?

7. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

If the car is in park or neutral the rev limiter may be cutting in that early.

8. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

It is easy for these to be a tooth off. After installing the belt with the marks lined up, always roll the engine crank over 2 turns. Then recheck the marks. I have had things set perfect, but after the belt settles into the sprocket path, it can fall back a tooth.
    Some scan tools offer a cam/crank 'relearn' which is an adaptive value on these cars, but that won't fix a mis-timed belt.