AF: Timing Belt, Water Pump & Component Kit | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing Belt, Water Pump & Component Kit

Discussion in 'Neon' started by FRANZID, Jun 22, 2020.

1. FRANZID

FRANZID Member

2. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Over the years I have always used Gates belts and hoses and never had a premature failure with that brand. I have read a few negative comments about Dayco components but do not know if the criticism is valid.

Sometime after year 2000 Chrysler changed the timing belt tensioner on the 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engine. Starting in 1995 the tensioner used a device with engine oil pressure to keep the idler against the belt and the timing belt tight. On later engines a mechanical type tensioner pulley used and that is what is shown in the kits that you reference. My concern would be is the later style tensioner compatible with the early style that used oil pressure to keep the belt tight? Is there a plug than needs to be installed to prevent an oil leak when adapting a later style tensioner on an early production engine? Maybe others can answer this question.

To replace the water pump you need to remove the timing belt and then the crankshaft sprocket. Since you are doing this maintenance on the engine you might consider replacing the front crankshaft oil seal. With the crankshaft sprocket removed, it is relatively easy to replace this oil seal.

3. FRANZID

FRANZID Member

Hello AllanC! Thank you for your help! I already had experience replacing the timing belt kit, pump and belt tensioner pulley in 2013, I have a 2000 model and a mechanical tensioner pulley is installed on the bracket.
    After your advice, I will definitely buy a set of gates. I bought the oil seal last time from the crankshaft, but it was not useful, in any case I have it.

I will also change the parasitic roller of the power steering belt, it started to hum, I will change it, since when replacing the timing belt, it is necessary to remove the plate on which it is located.

4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

At first I had to stop and think about parasitic roller on the power steering belt drive. But I believe you mean the automatic tensioner with idler pulley that keeps the drive belt for the power steering pump and air conditioning compressor tight. Very wise to replace while doing all that other work.

Neon Automatic Belt Tensioner.gif

FRANZID likes this.
  5. FRANZID

FRANZID Member

Hi AllanC! You are right, it is this detail, only I will not change it entirely, I will change the roller itself, and not the whole tension device.