AF: Tonneau cover selection | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tonneau cover selection

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by mopar56, Aug 1, 2020.

1. mopar56

mopar56 Well-Known Member

I know there will be lots of opinions here but what I'm trying to find out is what is the best fit, so yesterday I just took delivery of my new 2019 Ram 1500 limited in patriot blue, and its amazing BTW, but now I'm going to install a tonneau cover, I want a hard cover that folds, I have narrowed my choice to either the back flip brand which my friend has on his Chev or the Mopar one my son has on his 2014 Ram, the Mopar one requires about an hour install so no big deal BUT it sits flush with the box which I like, but if you have something big in your 5.7 foot box you need to prop up the cover near the back window with the supplied prop rods also this cover uses drains at the front stake holes, the cover is hard but not thick and my sons has two medium swells in the panels from when something heavy was rested on it one time, on the back flip it installs in seconds and if you have something large to carry you just take it right off and stow it in the box with the rest of your cargo however it is longer than the box so has to be stowed at an angle, it sits on top of the bed rails so I dont think it could leak although some people say it dose a bit at the tailgate area cosmetily it's not as appealing because it sits up about one inch on top of the bed rails BUT because it is so thick it is tough and I think would stand a heavier amount of weight on it? Lastly I live in a climate that gets lots of rain all winter so keeping things dry is important. I await your comments and thoughts from those of you that have one.

2. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

I know you mean well and I don't mean to make fun of your grammar, and some others have probably also noticed, but that was a mouthful trying to read that entire sentence in one breath. ;)

I had a fiberglass color-matched tonneau cover on a 1993 Ford Ranger STX SuperCab pickup that I once had. Mine was more for looks as it made the truck look sleek and smooth with the bed covered. I also had black bed rail bars mounted onto it. It had hood struts on it that would help to raise it, but it was a little difficult when trying to haul something that required the cover to be raised, kind of cumbersome and fortunately I didn't haul much big stuff. And the struts limited how far it would raise. But it did look good when closed. :cool:

#2 06PTElectricBlue, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  3. mopar56

Well sorry about the long sentence I guess I'm more or a mechanic than a lit scholar, thanks for the comment but I definitely want a trifold cover there just more practical well still esthetically pleasing.

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  4. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

The first type of tonneau cover I had on my Ford Ranger was a soft type that snapped onto a frame mounted on top of the bed, similar to this one. While it could be rolled up to the back of the cab, you also had to remove the cross bows that supported the fabric. So it was ok for looks, but not functionality.
    [​IMG]

Retractable is also nice
    [​IMG]

There is also a hard roll up type
    [​IMG]

Then the tri fold
    [​IMG]

Any of the above 4 are certainly more practical as far as versatility when transporting objects that will stick above the bed, than the solid 1 piece cover, which is what I ended up on my Ford Ranger. I never hauled much big stuff, so it looked good to have the bed covered.
    [​IMG]

5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

My last three trucks had roll up bed covers. I liked them because they rolled up easy for hauling larger items. My current Gladiator has the Mopar soft fold, which folds easily and isn’t that difficult to remove completely. It’s more secure than the roll ups. Mopar also offers a hard trifold cover and I’ve heard it’s decent. Also expensive. If you could find who makes the Mopar one and buy it under the other brand, I’d bet it’s cheaper.

6. KOG

KOG KOG

Nothing wrong with the grammar if you're speaking German. It's normal for a sentence to run three or four paragraphs. Free Download The awful German Language related books (at https://freeditorial.com/en/books/the-awful-german-language/related-books )

As far as covers, I've never used one, so have no useful info. But the other option is a shell which can be totally weathertight, allows fairly large loads, and has the advantage of lower aero drag than an open bed in many cases. Some of them are strong enough to allow boat to be loaded on top. Also not cheap.

7. mopar56

Well I appreciate the info as always guys but so far not what I'm looking for, I actually have the soft trifold on my 2011 and although it is very good in that it has great portability and styling but it isnt secure enough as any one with a pocket knife could be in it in seconds so not exactly the best thing to leave your valuables in while you go to the mall for a few hours I'm am looking at ONLY two options. The trifold Bakflip hard cover, ( same as soft I have on 2011 but its hard) OR the Mopar underrail hard folding cover , I have had experience with all the others on some of my own trucks as well as friends and they all have there issues but mostly leaking, as mentioned before I live in a VERY wet climate and need to keep things dry. Thanks though for your thoughts so far.

8. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  9. mopar56

Ok, I like that one, and it opens from front or rear, kind of handy, dose it leak at all?