AF: Top ten reasons it’s the Pacifica | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top ten reasons it’s the Pacifica

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jan 11, 2016.

1. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

Maybe you should look into what Kuniskis and Marchionne had to say about the name change before dumping on me. You're a bit ill-informed.

2. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Actually, I'm well informed. More informed than I can share here. So the next time Tim or Sergio say something you are going to 100% believe that tit's the honest to goodness behind closed doors story, right? You are getting the for public consumption talking points and there are reasons that's what they are saying, but don't assume it's the whole story, it's meant to sway public perception. Sorry if you felt dumped on, that wasn't my intent. :(

JKU12, GasAxe, Prabhjot and 4 others like this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yes, but assuming someone makes it into the showroom first is not a good assumption.
    Someone who hasn't paid attention to the NAIAS in 2 or 3 years wants to replace their van. They Google Dodge Grand Caravan. Hmm, no longer made? Well, what about the Town & Country we almost bought last time? Hmm, no longer made either.
    At that point, you have to hope they go to the Chrysler site and see it's now called a Pacifica before they find what they want from another brand.
    That's the problem with swapping names and what brands offer. If the first attempt to shop for a car is virtual (and starts from a third party site like Edmunds searching for the old name), you may lose the customer before they ever make it to a showroom.

Bearhawke, UN4GTBL and ScottB like this.
  4. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

Here's a very telling quote from Justin Westbrook over at Jalopnik:

"Are you a cool parent? Probably not, because you would be driving a Subaru “crossover” and definitely not reading about a Chrysler minivan we all thought died awhile ago."

And why would they think that? Because Sergio & Co. went around for the last 2 years telling everyone they were killing off one of the minivans. So when people do a search and can't find either the GC or the T&C, they'll assume that's what happened. No more minivans from FCA.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  5. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Go ahead a google those..... ;) if they don't find the new name is Pacifica they skipped some pages.... Bing also actually Allpar came up first on a couple of them.

Prabhjot and Dave Z like this.
  6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The Plymouth thing... is still up for debate. The numbers are ambiguous.

As for the name change, if they lost 1/2 of Dodge sales and kept Chrysler sales going, they would still be #1.

JKU12, Zagnut27 and Cornupenuria like this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

It’s so cool to drive something that isn’t ideal for your situation because it’s got the right brand name...

(Don’t get me wrong. There are people for whom the Subaru is a much better solution and I know that.)

8. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

Franchise law may have been a bigger factor than the price of making boat and goat badges.

9. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

Guess I'm not a "cool parent". My kids (and their friends) will disagree, and thankfully I don't need some "journalist" from Jalopnik to validate it anyway.

You'd be surprised how happy kids are when they realize they won't be crammed up altogether next to each other in someone's crossover - and when we can bring up to six of them instead of maybe only 4.

Sergio told automotive people about the minivan plans - because they asked. And THOSE people told "everyone" that they were killing off a minivan.

But I'll bet you a dollar that in 6 months when they type "chrysler minivan" or "dodge minivan" - or even "Caravan" or "Town & Country" into Google, they'll find information on the new Pacifica. Because that's how Internet searches work. (They'll also likely get search results on the Kia, Toyota, Honda, and Nissan minivans, too - because again, that's how Internet searches work.)

Despite proof to the contrary, not every consumer is stupid and unable to connect the dots.

I have no issue with the name change - it represents a "clean break" with a new product. I'm actually impressed with how much of the feature set stayed the same while moving to a completely new architecture. To me, it does have a bit more of a connection to the old Pacifica than the T&C in a few regards.

Some names don't age well. In my opinion, "Town & Country" is one of them. The wife and kids never call our van by that name anyway - it's just "the van."

jerseyjoe, AlfaCuda, JKU12 and 7 others like this.
  10. awyseguy

awyseguy Well-Known Member

My wife lovers her Pacifica, but the renamed minivan would not be a candidate for replacement.

11. awyseguy

awyseguy Well-Known Member

Homerun? Hardly a ground ball.. Sergio generally has had a decent grasp on the industry. But renaming the van is about as much a waste of resources as rebranding the Dodge trucks as Rams.

Bearhawke, ScottB and valiant67 like this.
  12. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Someone at work asked me today if I seen the new "Caravan"? I said, "You mean Pacifica". He said, "No Caravan, they already have a Pacifica."
    This was just an average non-mopar guy. Confusion right from the start.
    I dunno if this Windsor Star article was posted, but have a read:
    (Caution, some of these reactions are hilarious, especially the Ford guy, he obviously never used a minivan before, or the excuse of one Ford had.)

http://windsorstar.com/business/chr...ction-test-will-come-in-sales?__lsa=50c0-bd08

Like I said earlier, a name change is not a problem, but I don't think Pacifica should have been it, something new would have been refreshing. Will it hurt sales? I doubt it. They could have called it Triple X and I think people wouldn't care. Price and execution will determine sales.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I generally don't have a problem with a name change by itself, especially if it's done correctly. It's debatable whether or not it has any real benefit, but you do risk some consumer confusion (debatable how much of an effect). And then there's the added expense of marketing the new name/vehicle, but you'd be spending on marketing for a new vehicle anyway no matter a name change or not. Ultimately it's the quality of the product that will be remembered.

I guess I waffle back and forth on this a bit, just trying to see an issue from all angles. ;) Just how I am...and why I do what I do.

UN4GTBL and MPE426HEMI like this.
  14. MPE426HEMI

I agree. But, I think a new name would have been fresh. They have to market the heck out of it now anyways.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  15. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Yeah what was up with him? lol

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  16. MPE426HEMI

I dunno about that guy from Ford, but I've had all that stuff in my van and more at times. It's like he's just discovered a need and has been on another planet for the last 30 years. Welcome back to earth guy! :rolleyes:

UN4GTBL likes this.
  17. valiant67

valiant67 ...

But yet if I go to Edmunds.com today and search Dodge Avenger, there's nothing telling me I should be searching for the Chrysler 200 as a replacement.
    There are always loose ends. It was dumb to throw away the equity in one minivan name, and double dumb to throw away the equity in two minivan names.
    The Pacifica is no more revolutionary than the 1996 minivans were.
    Maybe they will find out like Ford did with the 500/Taurus and Coke did with the New Coke/Coke Classic/Coke that changing names can be a waste of time, money and goodwill.

18. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

How that Inter-web thing work, cuz when I search 2017 Caravan all I get it spy photo of the T&C and news about Pacifica. If I don't add the year get information about used vehicles..... tons of links to some website called Allpar

[​IMG]

UN4GTBL likes this.
  19. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

You do realize that was done so Chrysler and Dodge could be killed and Ram sold.......

And since then RAM has on run the is beyond expectations....

all new literature would be needed either way, all new marketing would be needed either way, the cost of tool to make Pacifica plastic part about $6k, pretty sure it would have needed a new one anyway. Cost make Town and Country about $8500... so I going to guess they save $2500 on the whole thing.

was this meant to be sarcastic?

20. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

tlc likes this.