AF: Top ten reasons it’s the Pacifica | Page 8 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top ten reasons it’s the Pacifica

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jan 11, 2016.

1. ehaase

ehaase Well-Known Member

Chrysler could bring back the Concorde name for the large FWD sedan.

I think the Dart name could go away if replaced by a RWD companion to the Giulia.

2. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Does matter, because the issues and troubles with the Wind/Freestar were not those of the Aerostar.

May not matter if one doesn't care and assumes they were they same because they were both "minivans."

3. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

It doesn't matter because the thread was about whether changing minivan names would cause confusion.... Take a look back. You brought in a point about the vehicles being very different which I agree with, it just wasn't pertinent to the point I was making.

4. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

Well, Aspen is available again. :p

5. Mopartial

Mopartial Fits and Finishes

And what a beauty that car was.

6. jken02

jken02 Guest

For current Chrysler and Dodge customers, who like their minivans, the name change to Pacifica is meaningless. When it comes time they'll more than likely buy another Mopar anyway...b/c they've already had a good experience with the product.

For current owners of a non-FCA product, I think the name change does have an impact. They only know the Caravan and T&C names, so a new name leaves them with no info in their cerebral cortex...zero. They have nothing to go on, all they know is it is a new product. Couple that fact with the 'lack of quality' that FCA always seems to be hit with, and I think you have very few customers who want to pull the trigger on buying that new product.

One key part of having a brand or product name is creating loyalty with that customer...as any company wants to create and keep customers. So changing vehicles names every so many years is confusing for the non-FCA customer....and that new customer is the one you are trying to reach.

Will an outstanding new product win over those new to FCA? Sure....but I'd argue those new customers are, in their minds at least, taking a chance buying that product in the first place.

#146 jken02, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2016
    Prabhjot and ScottB like this.
  7. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

When the first Journeys showed up on showroom floors I noticed that the window glass on the sides might be interchangeable with the glass on the Grand Cherokee or the Durango before I noticed that the Journeys had swinging doors instead of sliding doors. Maybe that's just me.

8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Nope I have principles and I stand by them.
    If Chrysler doesn't build what I want, I will go without a new car (or truck). I did that from 1999 until 2012. I'll do it again if needed.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. Stratuscaster

I'll go without - or go buy something that does fit my needs elsewhere.

Love the brand, but they aren't paying me to buy what they are selling.

GasAxe, wvutuba, ScottB and 2 others like this.
  10. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

If you won't buy because they don't make what you want, that is one thing (a Ram 1500 is far too big for me) but if you won't buy because of a name change, that may be spiting your face.

freshforged likes this.
  11. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Yes, and if the quality is there, they will accomplish there desired goal. Apple continually changes names on it's products, so does Samsung and most all cell phone companies. Many people don't know what model phone they have, they call it my cell phone or company name.

12. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Don't bring up Apple. Those jerks brought that iPad and the one I have won't connect with my DuoDock. :(

13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I recognize the Duo Dock reference... I repaired one, once. They were pretty hot. Nice idea, a lightweight laptop you could make into a desktop complete with a separate hard drive in the dock. Pricey but nice. The mini dock was in some ways more clever. I saw a couple of other docks at the same time that weren't quite as nice - sort of slid into all the relevant ports which is nice till you realize the ports wear out.

I just want them to put more work into keeping interiors quiet for more than three years.

14. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I am about the same as you or find something to suit my needs. I did go to Ford once and came back. At the time of purchase, there wasn't really anything at Chrysler that I liked. Journey was very new and expensive and didn't want to go with a minivan. I ended up with a Taurus X.

Unfortunately, not everybody is like us die-hards. My grandparents neighbours always bought Chrysler vehicles. They had 2 AWD minivans in a row, usually keep them for an average of 10 yrs. Now, the current van was 13 yrs old and they wanted something new and bought a Sienna AWD.

They did say the GC ES AWD they had was a step above the Sienna.

15. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

While I have not been 100% loyal to Chrysler, I tended to start my car shopping there and then move on to other brands if Chrysler didn't have something I liked. Now that Chrysler is dead and I'm dealing with an entirely new company, my sense of loyalty to the Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram brands is diminished and I have absolutely no loyalty to Fiat, Alfa, or Maserati.

Right now I wouldn't consider buying anything with the 9-speed. I'll wait another 2-3 years to make sure it is solid. Very disappointed they dropped the power train warranty back to 60K miles from 100K. Sorry, but as lucky as I've been with Chrysler products of the past, I still like the security the 100K mile warranty gave me. In fact, I wish they'd extend the bumper-to-bumper up to 4 years/60K miles. God knows the prices of vehicles are climbing, show us the confidence you have in your quality, FCA, by extending the warranties, not asking people to spend even more on warranty upgrades.....or going to the competition.

wvutuba and somber like this.
  16. Stratuscaster

BMW just dropped the length of their "free" maintenance to 3 years and will be using the savings to pay for dealer bonuses - take that for what it's worth.

17. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

At least they offer free maintenance. 3 years worth is 3 years better than Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, and most Jeeps.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

BMW offers free maintenance mainly to prop up its lease programs. I believe it was BMW that found that people that leased cars were less likely to get oil changes and perform basic maintenance due to the fact they planned to only have the car a few years. So they added no cost maintenance to get a better supply of certified used cars to sell. If that is true, I can see why a 3 year free schedule is what they'd settle on.

That being said, I've always gotten up to 4 oil changes over two years with any recent new car purchase no idea if that was Mopar or the dealers that did that. That covers about everything other than tire rotations for the first two years for me.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  19. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

Even Toyota offers 2 years/25K miles free maintenance on its Toyota and Scion models. They seem to be able to offer it even on sub-$20K vehicles. Great deal. One of my kids is disappointed now that he'll have to pay for maintenance on his '13 Scion TC. But he really, really liked the first 2 years! Not only that he took some comfort in Toyota performing the maintenance instead of some independent garage. They likely have him as at least a service customer for some time to come, and probably a repeat car buyer.

20. Stratuscaster

Not sure if I would be more happy with 2-3 years of free basic maintenance or a longer powertrain warranty.