Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torque Converter symptoms

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Scrounge, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

An ad for a '95 Ram van in Texas with a 6-cylinder engine and about 120K miles reports that the torque converter needs to be replaced, and says $300 worth of parts will fix it. What would the transmission be doing (or not doing) to indicate that the torque converter is bad? And is this a common problem with full-sized vans of this era?

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

If it ran very low on fluid for extended time, the torque converter could be warped and causing slippage, or the pump could be burned out.

3. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Thanks. If it's still available when I return to Texas, I'll check for slippage. But running low on fluid for too long might cause other damage, so I wonder if the trans might have more problems that need overhaul or replacement.

And now, I also wonder if the owner removed the torque converter for another vehicle, and the one for the van is just missing.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

You may have noise, vibration or shudder. If the torque converter has to be accessed, you might as well recondition the transmission clutches and check the cooler flow, etc while it is out.