Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torqueflite 727 no reverse when warmed up possible servo issue

Discussion in 'Pre-1994 trucks, commercial vehicles' started by upser145, Apr 14, 2017.

1. upser145

upser145 Member

I have a TF 727 and the reverse will hesitate then pop into gear and kind of work if its cold but once it warms up i pretty much lose all reverse. I have properly adjusted the reverse band in the transmission so I think the next step would be to check the servo. I've never done much transmission work myself and was wondering if there was a walkthrough or something out there somebody could point me to to assist me in checking the low reverse servo. Thanks in advance guys

2. upser145

upser145 Member

Ive been planning on a rebuild soon anyway but if its only a servo or something i could do myself without dropping the trans i figure i should atleast try'

3. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

what year and model is the car ?

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I had this happen to my Charger once. Yes, it was the servo, tore it down and found the spring had broken and the retaining clip had come off so no pressure could be held. wind it up and it would work just a little bit. Not a difficult fix, but you have to drop the pan if you do it in the car, fluid likes to drip a bit on you, so messy.

5. upser145

upser145 Member

1988 dodge w150

6. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Did you make sure the bands are adjusted correctly?

7. upser145

upser145 Member

Yes I torqued them to i believe 96 in lbs or whatever its supposed to be and backed locknut off correct number of times.. it works slightly better in 4 low if that means anything

8. pt006

pt006 Active Member

upser; the torque number is 72 in lbs. Back off 2 1/2 turns on the front band [external]. Back off 2 turns on the rear band [internal]. Your post confused me. The locknut gets backed off several turns while the adjusting screw is kept from turning. Then the adjusting screw is turned and
    tightened to 72 in lbs. Then the adjusting screw head can be marked so that the position isn't lost. Then the adjusting screw is backed off say 2 turns. And held there [small vice grips work well]. Then the locknut is spun down and torqued. Front band locknut = 30 ft lbs. Rear band locknut = 25 ft lbs.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  9. upser145

upser145 Member

Any pics or videos you could point me to of the process

10. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Should be in the book. It is the reverse band adjustment, the pan has to be removed to get to it. Can't miss it, rear corner where the round servo is with the band adjustment pivot is. After the adjusment is loosened, the piston has a large snap ring that has to come out. The other side has a big spring on a pin with an E-clip. Careful, fluid behind the servo, gets messy.

11. upser145

upser145 Member

Which book would you be referring to lol

12. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

For this level of repair, you want access to or own a factory service manual.

13. upser145

upser145 Member

All i have is the little gray owners manual and a haynes book where would i aquire a fsm?

14. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Online, the library, eBay, dealership, should even be able to find a video online to see how and what to actually do, see how it is assembled, how to get her apart.