AF: Toyota shows off hybrid-only 2021 Sienna and Venza | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyota shows off hybrid-only 2021 Sienna and Venza

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by Ryan, May 18, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I can't get the Venza out of my mind today. I have never been a huge Toyota fan, but I have found myself looking through pictures of the Venza all day... I like that it will get 40 MPG and has slightly more restrained, upscale styling than the rest of Toyota's lineup. I could actually see myself driving one.

I bet we'll see an XSE version in a few months and a PHEV after that.

page2171 likes this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

While I don’t care for the looks my friends who own a Corolla and a Highlander are raving about both these designs.

3. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

I know looks are subjective but that van looks like a shop vac attachment to me.:D:D:D

4. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Bloated and hideous.....

5. somber

somber 370,000 miles

It really don't like the face, even more than I dislike the Charger bandit face (I think the SXT face is really nice). I just see a catfish.
    [​IMG]

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

page2171 likes this.
  7. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Venza is a sportier take on RAV4.

8. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Toyota has shown over and over they have absolutely no idea how to design an attractive vehicle. Even the Supra is hideous!
    Their design team should be fired!

JA Cumbo likes this.
  9. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I like the Venza, and I think the Sienna will grow in me. I do like what the did to the interior of the Sienna.

Ryan likes this.
  10. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

"I'm not sure how to make the front or rear good looking."
    "Just throw lots of black plastic on it and forget it."

Dave Z likes this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Darker colors hide some of the black plastic better. I personally like white on the Venza, though, which isn’t true for very many vehicles.

EA35633C-81D3-4615-84F4-A3DB77014D8D.jpeg E55D564C-3B93-4782-B47D-EC334047A6B5.jpeg 782BF4A5-D973-456B-9D88-81181F64F459.jpeg D84417E5-4E2F-4716-85CA-B1E29EC7CB10.jpeg

page2171 likes this.
  12. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

The Design of the Venza is of Lexus quality, they did a good job.

13. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

Funny I thought it looked like a Lexus also. My thought was it was a bad thing. Just another me too CUV.

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  14. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Looks better from the back than the front.

Toyota upped its design of interiors from CH-R onwards. This Venza looks good, but it's not "Lexus" good: there isn't the attention to detail regarding the matching of the different surfaces in the cabin: the texturing on the steering wheel boss, for instance doesn't match any other surface of the dashboard, and there are three different shades of "black" in there (dash top, dash underside, steeringwheel). When the same kind of plastic parts go in a Lexus, they're painted first so that everything that's black is the same tone of black.

That screen "integration" is awful, though - it looks like the interior was designed for a smaller display, then quickly hacked for the bigger one.

Dave Z and T_690 like this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

It's a rebadged Toyota Harrier from other countries. Previous generations of the Harrier have been rebadged Lexus RX, so there's definitely some Lexus design DNA here.

page2171 and MJAB like this.
  16. plymouth1

plymouth1 Well-Known Member

I think the Venza is hideous. But I have been biased against all Toyota's since my first ride in a neighbors car when I was about 7 years old in 1974. Rides in newer Toyota's have not changed that bias. I just plain despise the whole Mystique over anything Toyota

17. aldo90731

Sienna’s combined 33 MPG is better than that of my 2-seat Fiat Spider with a 1.4T motor! :eek:

And uses regular gas to boot!

gforce2002 likes this.
  18. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The pack mentality of the automotive press has been going after Toyota lately for being too old fashioned. "Toyota doesn't have battery electrics and their hybrid system is old enough news to wrap fish in." Such haranguing usually starts with the headline, "Prius sales are in the toilet!" All that while ignoring Toyota hybrid sales are doing quite well. The numbers on the RAV4 hybrid alone are amazing.

I think offering a hybrid at every marker segment is smart.

The grill on the Venza is still hideous, but that is a lot easier to change than a major engineering effort.

page2171 and Ryan like this.
  19. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

It's the only option they have, as they under-invested in battery electric technology (they did invest heavily in Hydrogen fuel-cell, which is a really clean technology, but nobody has solved the problem of getting Hydrogen into the car cheaply and safely)

The gasoline Hybrid powertrain was impressive, all the way up to about a decade ago. But today, PHEV is the way to go, especially in markets where electricity is a fraction of the price of gasoline: or everywhere outside of the USA, in other words. Toyota has been facing a lot of pressure domestically to show leadership on electrification, but have only this year announced a plan for BEV and PHEVs- the company had such a lead in real-world electric powertrains from Prius that it should have been doing that investment about ten years ago.

That Hybrid technology is a sunk cost for Toyota, so they can push it out to more models and still make profits, but it remains a very complex solution to the problem and it's nearing the limits of benefits for the cost.

Meanwhile, 48V in-transmission mild-hybrid systems get to about 70% of the fuel-economy gains as the Toyota system. That's not as impressive on paper, except that P2MHEV costs a fraction of Toyota's powertrain, is significantly lighter, and is far more flexible in terms of engine pairing, transmissions and driving characteristics. PHEVs already beat the pure-hybrids, and although they cost more to purchase, if you're outside of the USA the running costs will favor a PHEV over as little as 20,000 miles; and even less if you mostly commute. Then there's BEVs, which are the future of the "second car" role in most suburban households. That's why people are criticising Toyota: they might be king of the hill now, but they haven't got any good answer to these emerging technologies.

somber, ScramFan and T_690 like this.