AF: Toyota Venza to return as midsize hybrid crossover | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyota Venza to return as midsize hybrid crossover

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by Ryan, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

aspenandenclave12 and gforce2002 like this.
  2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Venza was just a Camry wagon, as I recall. Slightly higher off the ground. There is indeed a huge gap between RAV4 and Highlander.

3. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Toyota's only compliance car is the FCEV Mirai. From what I've read of the next generation model it looks very promising. The problem is that there isn't enough supporting infrastructure to fuel the car or generate sales. What will Toyota do for a compliance car in California?

At this point we know very little about the plugin RAV4 Prime. Toyota did say the RAV4 Prime will have an electric only range of 39 miles, which is good. But is that good enough for CARB compliance? Perhaps a new Venza will offer more room for batteries. I'm not saying this to be cynical, obviously a longer and taller two-row vehicle will offer more space for batteries. It is way too early to know if a plugin version of a rumored Venza hybrid would even be offered. I'm just guessing. The Prius Prime has a limited battery only range and less space for batteries. Despite the green credentials of the Prius, it can't be zero emissions as it is currently specified.

It is too early to tell if the next Highlander Hybrid will be a sales success, but based on the sales of the RAV4 hybrid, it should be well received. A number of auto media writers are doubtful at the falling Prius sales, when combined with Toyota announcing an offer of royalty-free licenses to the intellectual property for its hybrid drivetrain to any maker who wanted them. It is viewed by the media as an act of desperation. I disagree with that view because while Prius sales are falling Toyota is still selling other hybrids in increasing numbers. That is why more hybrids wrapped in plain wrappers are coming from that brand. The early adopters have moved on and the Prius is no longer the media darling. The historical Toyota buyer wants both conventional styling and utility. It should also be noted that BMW/Mini and Hyundai/Kia have all arrived at the some conclusion separately. When the early adapters depart from a new driveline technology, the historical customers prefer familiar styling.

Toyota did mess up by originally offering their hybrid technology a such a high price. This has left Toyota as the only company offering that particular setup, greatly reducing the economy of scale for suppliers. This also allowed the competition to seek other technologies and leapfrog Toyota for advanced drivetrains.

#3 patfromigh, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    tlc and ScramFan like this.
  4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The other thing to remember is that the Corolla Hybrid is basically the same as the Prius, but nobody can tell it's a hybrid from a distance (or from inside the cabin). It feels more like a standard car than I remember the Prius feeling. It's bound to take a bunch of Prius sales.

THe Prius was hardly a high priced car when it came out. It was priced about the same as a car of similar size with an optional engine.

patfromigh likes this.
  5. Ryan

Midsize crossovers are often marketed as a more unique product than either the compact or full-size crossovers in the same lineup. For example, the Blazer is neck-and-neck with the Traverse on pricing, but has a more progressive design and is marketed as a sporty product. The Atlas Cross Sport is barely cheaper than the regular, long wheelbase Atlas despite being smaller, but has a "coupe-like" design to make it more unique. The Passport is marketed as being more rugged than the Pilot. I'm sure there are other examples. Toyota may pull a similar stunt with the Venza by only offering electrified versions: one with the hybrid system from the RAV-4 or Highlander and one with the plug-in powertrain from the RAV-4 Prime, as that one also offers better performance.

aspenandenclave12 and page2171 like this.
  6. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Volvo was able to get nearly 80 miles of electric only range out of their new Polestar plugin hybrid. That is in BEV territory. The bad news is they did it by filling the trunk with batteries. I suspect a mid-size crossover with two rows of seating can pack a lot of batteries without punishing the occupants or restricting cargo room.

Yes, on the Corolla Hybrid. Some of Corolla Hybrid reviews made by people who previously owned a Prius basically said "Good riddance!" to the Prius because of that model's quirks, which the Corolla doesn't share.

page2171 and Ryan like this.
  7. Ryan

I'm glad the idea that hybrid/electric vehicles don't have to look like alien spaceships is finally catching on.

8. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

To me the Prius was nothing more than a niche vehicle due to its poor design, extremely cramped passenger space, too low, very little front structure to absorb crash forces, terrible rear visibility. One of my co workers has one, I've ridden in it many times and would never buy one due to my comments above. The hybrid system does work great though.
    The Subaru Forester style of vehicle would be a far superior design for a hybrid, a vehicle you sit up high in, can see out of, comfortable for larger people, etc. Toyota would do well to study their needless and wasteful carpet bombing of the market with a series of small vehicles that overlap, are bizarrely styled, not space efficient, not function for normal use, etc.

Citation84 likes this.
  9. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

Plus it looked like a cockroach, Lou. Much preferred the 1st gen.