Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TPMS question

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by mopar56, Aug 11, 2017.

1. mopar56

mopar56 Active Member

so the other day my tpms light came on in my 2011 1500 I also have the message center in the dash and it said r/f low, it was down about three pounds so I topped it and all others up so they are with in a pound of each other about 35 lbs this has happened before and all I had to do was drive it for about 10 min and it went away but I have driven for two days now and it is still on although it shows the correct pressure, do I have a bad tpms sensor? is there another way to re-set, I read a few other threads on the net and it looks like some cars can be re-set by pushing the re-set button on the dash and holding it, I tried this to but no luck......I hate useless gadgets!

2. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

You need to drive up to 20 min at 70+ km/h. If it doesn't re set the cheapest thing is rotate the tires and see if the message follows the tire.

3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

If it continues to not reset, then it's possible the TPMS has failed or the battery has expired. Life expectancy of the TPMS is 5-8 years.

I believe any error codes would be stored in the WIN module - need a special code reader to access them.

4. mopar56

mopar56 Active Member

I was afraid of it being the battery, if that is the case can I just remove them and replace with regular valve stems? or will that set a permanent error message, I have not driven at 70 for 20 min since it lit up the forums all say 5-10 min above 30 km which I have done but I can try hwy speed tonight after work I guess, also I have a obd II scanner can I use that or is it different?

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

A regular OBDII scanner won't access the TPMS system.
    If you install regular valve stems the TPMS light will always be on.

Doug D likes this.
  6. mopar56

mopar56 Active Member

Ok thanks not what I wanted to here but what I expected, lol

7. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

8. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

The module has failed on my truck. I replaced the sensor and it didn't come up. I've rotated the tires several times since and it continues not to read the LR tire. There also seems to be a couple different part numbers for the unit. The replacement # for mine comes up as one for a Durango so I've been afraid to order it. The dealer wants about $200 CDN + Hst for a new one.
    BTW I purchased the new wheel sensor on E-bay for around $20 plus shipping. It was EXACTLY like the one I removed and was shipped from China.

9. mopar56

mopar56 Active Member

Well I spoke with a guy at a reputable tire shop today that dose all my tires for my cars and he said pretty much what bguy here said you have to drive about 70 for 15 to 20 min consistently and the message will disappear and if my message center was reading a low tire and went up when I filled it then the sensor is OK I didn't ask him what they sold for but my local parts store sells them for 65 bucks each so if I did need one I wouldn't do it until the fall as I will need tires then anyway.

10. KOG

KOG KOG
    Level 2 Supporter

If that tire now displays the correct pressure the issue cannot be the sensor. But they shouldn't display the correct pressure until you've driven far enough and fast enough to reset. Something doesn't compute here.

11. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I've had the pressure reading change when the vehicle is sitting still when I add air. The sensor must be active for some time sitting still. Never had it low enough to light the warning light though so I'm not sure on its behavior.

12. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Have it scanned for a fault code if the pressures are OK and you have reset it. If all 4 are reporting pressures, then it shouldn't be a communications error.

13. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Our Journey has the more simple set up - just a tire symbol that lights up if one tire is down or there is a problem with the system. If a tire is down, once I add the appropriate amount of air, the light goes out immediately. I haven't needed to drive it any distance though the owner's manual does indicate you may have to drive a certain distance above a certain speed.

I've had a TPMS literally disintegrate. Temporarily replaced it with a regular tire valve. Firestone wanted $112 to replace it - $80 for the sensor, the rest for balancing and programming. I waited until I had new tires installed to have a new TPMS installed where they only charged for the sensor and the balancing labor already covered.

14. mopar56

mopar56 Active Member

Ok it's fixed, FYI you can actually watch the pressures change on the display in the dash if you leave the key on while filling the tire but there is a slight delay between filling the tire and reading the display but I was able to get all pressures with in a pound of each other, then a road test at 70kms + for about 5 min seemed to do it, all is normal now, but as I will require new tires this fall and after looking at tire prices and tpms sensors and knowing that the senors have a eight year max life span it seems the time to change them would be with the tire change but I will go a different route instead, my local dealer sells brand new take off tire/wheel assembly's from new trucks where people have installed after market tire and wheel packages on there new ride, my son bought a set for his 2006 ram that came off a 2017 that complimented his truck nicely so this is what I will do, they were very reasonable in fact less than a set of new tires at the tire shop, and I love the factory Wrangler tires, I have 110kms on my truck and two of the tires are original although they were off the truck for about 15km so have about 95 actual km on them, pretty decent, put that up against Toyo crap!

ImperialCrown likes this.